Pilot Road2s - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2008, 10:53 pm Thread Starter

Pilot Road2s

Finally a tire worthy of the SPORT setting! I am very hard on tires because i treat my GT like it was a CBR and after tearing up Hwy 155 in the Southern Sierras yesterday, chasing my buddy on his K1200S, i was very pleased with the handling of the 2s. After 2 sets of Z6s i was reluctant to try something new because i was happy with the 6k miles i was getting out of the Metzlers. Hopefully they will last as long as the Z6s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2008, 5:31 am
Strafist

Longer. I think I have about 8k on mine at the moment.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2008, 5:44 am
The Gov

Me likes, 4K on mine so far and wearing well. Like'em so much that I just put them on the F800.

Phil Space
Springfield, VA
2007 K1200GT the road beast
2009 F800GS - My little adventure bike.
2007 F800ST - Her's, but I can ride it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2008, 6:13 am
Enthusiast

I like them a lot! I have little over 4000 miles on a set and heading for Oregon next week. Probably put on more than 5000 miles in 13 days, and I expect to get back home on the same set.

After 4000, the rear has worn about .060".

12 Super Tenere 1200 (coming soon)
10 MTS1200 standard (riding)
09 Monster 696 (wife's ride)
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2008, 10:09 am
Veteran

Put 6500 on my first set and probably could have gotten another 750 to 1000 which for me is nothing short of a miracle. Great handling in every condition possible. My second set has 2000 on them now and just barely starting to wear. I've gone through all the rest and while most tires are fine.....(and dandy......a little George Carlin metaphor RIP).......when it comes to handling.....4500 to 5000 miles was it on anything.

So 7000+ miles on a set of good handling tires, albeit a bit spendy.....you bet your ass!

BTW, any body on here going over Homestake Pass outside of Butte MT a week ago? If so it must have been one of you guys getting 10's of thousands of miles out of a set of tires. Just in case you happen to be reading this, the speed limit in MT is 75 mph and yes, you are allowed to pass the cars and semis ahead of you. You're on a KGT for crying out loud...ride it!

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2008, 8:39 pm

I've had 6k miles on my original Pilot Roads which still had half the trealife left when I switched to the Pilot Road 2s. I like the 2s over the originals. They stick so much better.
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 2008, 4:20 pm
Noob

Pilot Road 2s howling

I am not that happy with the2S's. I had a set of Pilot Roads on my K1200RS and did not like them because after about 2,000 miles they started howling in the turns. Everyone tells me it is because I do a lot of touring and not enough of the twisty stuff. When the 2S's came out, I thought I would give them a try on my 07 K1200GT and I am now getting the same howling after 2,000 miles. I like the way they handle and the mileage, but not the howling. I didn't have it with Metzlers or Bridgestones.
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 2008, 6:21 pm
Enthusiast

I just got a set of the Z6's for the first time. My originals were Pilot Powers. I couldn't be happier. These tires are completely confidence inspiring! I never cared for my PP's the input and reaction were not linear enough for me.
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 2008, 7:43 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyjimmy
I am not that happy with the2S's. I had a set of Pilot Roads on my K1200RS and did not like them because after about 2,000 miles they started howling in the turns. Everyone tells me it is because I do a lot of touring and not enough of the twisty stuff. When the 2S's came out, I thought I would give them a try on my 07 K1200GT and I am now getting the same howling after 2,000 miles. I like the way they handle and the mileage, but not the howling. I didn't have it with Metzlers or Bridgestones.
Are you saying that you can actually hear your tires making noise? Something loud enough to be heard over the engine and wind noise? Really? Howling? That would be disturbing. Would make me think there's something defective.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but weren't there a few sets of PR2's shipped that were not rated correctly (weight) on the side walls? You should make sure you have the "B" rating for the tires. I've never heard any tire making noise except maybe at 20 mph with no helmet or earplugs in.

Say, Missoula huh......you weren't the guy doing 50 in a 75 over the pass were you?

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 2008, 11:18 pm
Noob

Do we need the "B" spec rear for the New GT?

I'm planning on trying a set of the PR2s. I've searched the net for prices and found 1 site specifying a "B" spec for the new K12GT. No other sites mention it. The price for the "B" spec rear tire was an additional $30. The site was Motorcycle-Superstore.com. I've used them before with good prices and no problems, but they are the only one I've noticed that even gives a separate price for a "B" spec rear PR2.

ANY help on this is appreciated.

Thanks,

G Sharp (MOA #45532)

'07 K12GT
Dark Blue Metallic

From the Past:
'91 K100RS
'85 K100RT
'80 Yam 850 Special
'76 Kaw 400

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode