Toll road travels - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 2008, 7:55 pm Thread Starter

Toll road travels

Hey gang,

Did a search on the boards and haven't found anything yet. Looking for your input on cruising toll roads - no EZ pass. I figure I keep a bunch 'o'change in this bitchin' wrist pocket of my Cortech jacket but I have to take a glove off to dig in there. Curious what kind of tricks and tips all y'all have.

BTW, "Stay off the f'n highways" isn't good enough, I'd love to back-road the trip but it's already 600 miles, hope to do it in a day. Also, tolls would be when I cruise through northwest Indiana into Chicago and then Wisconsin. Thanks everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 2008, 8:08 pm
Noob

[QUOTE=iflybricks]Hey gang,
- no EZ pass.

I am not sure why you would not want an ezpass. in NY you get a 50 percent discount

http://www.nysthruway.gov/ezpass/discount.html

If at first you do not succeed, parachuting is not for you.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 2008, 8:41 pm
Sooper Dooper Moderator

I am not sure why you would not want an ezpass. in NY you get a 50 percent discount

Ditto on that. Out west, we call 'em toll road transponders, I guess it's the same thing. It makes it so much easier than trying to fish out change to throw in the tray.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 2008, 8:44 pm Thread Starter

No EZ pass because it's one road trip. Right now I don't think it's worth the hassle to go through all that for a 3 day round trip, though that may end up being the only answer. Just curious what everyone else does.

Is the EZ pass tagged to your specific vehicle? Could I borrow my dad's?
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 2008, 8:46 pm
Veteran

Well I suppose 600 miles on back roads in that part of the country is not the same as the west. Out here 600 miles on 2 laners is cake. For those occasional times I have to deal with it I just keep some change or bills handy in my tank bag and screw the guy behind me with the horn if he can't wait 15 seconds for me to zipper the thing up.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 2008, 5:50 am
Addict

Out here you do the EZ Toll thing once online and it arrives 3 days later linked to my credit card. The devise take $25 credits as i use em.
I have it velcroed under the battery cover and never have to worry about tolls again.
I see it that you really only have 3 options, get an ez toll, use change or use the EZ toll lanes and dont pay!

Black stuff down, Shiny side up!______________________________
10 R1200RTSE
02 R1100S
07 K1200GT R.I.P.
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 2008, 5:51 am
Enthusiast

E-Z pass can be used on any vehicle, so you can borrows Dad's. He can also add your bike's plate and info onto his vehicle database with E-Z Pass at their web site so if for some reason it doesn't register when you go through a toll plaza you won't get a bill in the mail for being a scoff-law. I have six vehicles on my E-Z Pass data base and only 4 transponders so if I forget to transfer a transponder from one vehicle to the other there is no problem. Have a nice trip...

Gary
2007 K1200GT
Dark Graphite Grey
New Jersey-Don't Laugh!
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 2008, 7:29 am
TJD
Rookie

Tolls

Before I got my tankbag, I used to fold up a couple dollar bills and clamp them down under my gas cap cover. The bills never moved and I didn't have to take off a glove. I plan to get a transponder for the bike though - just haven't gotten around to making the call.

T

TJD
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 2008, 8:04 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltown
E-Z pass can be used on any vehicle, so you can borrows Dad's. He can also add your bike's plate and info onto his vehicle database with E-Z Pass at their web site so if for some reason it doesn't register when you go through a toll plaza you won't get a bill in the mail for being a scoff-law. I have six vehicles on my E-Z Pass data base and only 4 transponders so if I forget to transfer a transponder from one vehicle to the other there is no problem. Have a nice trip...

Perfect, this would work okay. Thanks!

Oh yeah, whichever one of you said screw the guy behind you honking the horn, +1 on that!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 2008, 9:55 am

[QUOTE=iflybricks]Perfect, this would work okay. Thanks!

I would check on that first. I have a seperate EZ pass for my bike & my car. The bike EZ pass gets charged less than the car. You also have to make sure your dad includes your bike in his program before you use it, otherwise you will get a letter with the toll + service charge in the mail saying that the tag does not match the plate on the bike in their database.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode