1st long trip, should I? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 2008, 2:10 pm Thread Starter

1st long trip, should I?

Hello all, me again.

So I've been digging up info on tolls and ez pass in another thread for this trip I'm thinking about taking. I was hoping (counting on it actually) all y'alls two cents worth . I've never done a trip this long, before my GT I was a "casual" rider. Though I got the GT to do some cruising, this would be my first over-the-road trip. 600 miles from Ohio up to Wisconsin, spend a few days with the family, then back home. All interstate, through Chicago and the toll roads.

I think I can get through it, though after the first 200 miles I won't have much of a choice. I was planning on one day to do it, just git'r'done. Just never done a trip like this, that's all. Any words of encouragement, warning, whatever. I know all of you busted outta town for the first time at some point (except maybe Grif, just a hunch, he was born on a road trip )

Gear - 2008 KGT, saddle bags, BMW soft top case. Hope to add a powered Marsee tank bag and MAYBE a GPS by then if I can bribe my wife. Full textile gear too, so I'm geared up.

Just looking for some input, a litmus test if you will, am I crazy? Thanks everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 2008, 4:34 pm
Enthusiast

600 can tire you down pretty good if everything is not going good. I like to take frequent stops, like 125-150 miles at a clip or less if you are getting tired. Fuel up the bike and eat a snack. Don't push, just enjoy the ride, the miles will be gone before you know it.

I shove off tuesday for about 1300 miles in 2 days, total of around 2600 one way then 1900 return home, total of 12-13 days.

12 Super Tenere 1200 (coming soon)
10 MTS1200 standard (riding)
09 Monster 696 (wife's ride)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 2008, 4:54 pm
no power in the 'verse can stop me

600 mile days are a piece of cake.

take frequent breaks, hydrate, eat reasonably healthy.
Save the fried foods for when you get there.

You'll be fine. Before you know it you'll be doing
this on a regular basis.

tim-----still on the right side of the frostline

you can't stop the signal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 2008, 8:41 pm

You'll be just fine I pretty sure we all felt that way on the first trip I know I did , you will get hooked very fast after that, you will be planning your next one as soon as you make it back, I don't leave now if it doesn't involve at least 2 day ride, so there you go , If you enjoy music hook up a mp3 makes the time fly, and if your better half is joining invest in an autocom, I find that's a real luxury,Oh YA dont't loose your visa , done that before,can create some problems So I think your good to GO so have a great time, let us know how great your GT is,
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 2008, 10:57 pm
Veteran

You worry way too much. 600 miles may seem like a long trip but on interstate the whole way it's easy as pie. (cake was already used) Just do it and do it again. You'll quickly find out what equipment and farkles you want or need. If you're worrying about adding those things you're way ahead of yourself. Sounds to me like you're still learning your bike, which is fine, but before you go spending a bunch of cash on it.....why not take those few short trips first and make sure it's for you. Way too many guys load this thing up with spendy gear and farkles and then ride a couple thousand miles only to trade it in and lose money cause it's not for them.

Your bike has everything it needs right off the showroom floor for a 600 mile trip. GPS for interstate? Come on, not needed. A tank bag and paper map is a lot easier than playing with the toy while your riding. Worrying about EZ pass for one trip? Get some experience doing this stuff first before you worry about the toys. You've got plenty of time. Also, why do you want to spend your first "long" trip on stupidly busy interstates packed with asshole drivers and big rigs? The slabs BLOW! Once again, get some experience first. Take the back roads. Go the long way. Do 350 or 400 miles a day and take an extra day. Stop if you're tired. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Stop every 100 or so miles and stretch. Take a piss before you think you need to. It's really a lot easier and simpler than you think.

For a lot of us a long trip is measured in 1000's of miles and many days or weeks. If this is the kind of thing you are aspiring to do, just start slow. A day or two here and there and gradually work your way up. You'll be there before you know it.

But worried about 600 miles as a long trip? Dude...just get on it and ride!

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2008, 12:32 am
Telepathetic

All of the above is sound advice. I see you are a pilot so you are accustomed to having an alternate plan in case ........ My suggestion would be to have a back up plan of staying overnight somewhere along your route if you start to feel worn out. If you get a chance before your long trip, how about a semi-long of 300 or 400 miles just to get a feel for a day in the saddle.

Have a good time and maintain situational awareness on the road.

Darrel
'06 GT - Blue
85K on the clock
_'07 GS - Yeller
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2008, 1:49 am
Rider Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by iflybricks
...this would be my first over-the-road trip. 600 miles from Ohio up to Wisconsin, spend a few days with the family, then back home. All interstate, through Chicago and the toll roads

.... MAYBE a GPS by then if I can bribe my wife. ...

.....am I crazy? ...
Howdy Nate,

Hell no, you're not crazy.

Generally I would say 600 miles are nothing and go for it without giving it a second thought....but on second thought... You're talking about riding through Chicago and the Northern Suburbs and that should give one pause.

I would time my transit of the Chicago area to avoid their rush hour, or more accurately, snail's pace hour. Without the ability to "lane split" you could the most horrendously tedious ride through there.

And of course avoid twilight riding in Wisconsin to minimize a close encounter of the deer kind.

A GPS with "detour" is nice. You can follow your scheduled route and then, if there is a problem, you can have it give you a detour of x miles and it'll get you around the problem.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05
'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
RCB, AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2008, 5:02 am
Rookie

As a casual rider I would consider NOT going thru Chicago for my first road trip, if your time line permits you could investigate one of the Ferry services that crosses from Michigan to Wisconsin. Chicago traffic is not very fun in hot humid weather on a motorcycle. You could cut out about 200 miles of nasty traffic. Many riders did that for the rally in Wisconsin, maybe someone will share that experience. Living in Chicago at one time I would detour north around the great lakes to avoid Chicago. Have a safe enjoyable trip!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2008, 9:47 am
Addict

I'll throw my $0.02 in here too:

Underwear! Find some boxers without seams across your butt. I also use bicycle shorts on long trips.

The bike is perfect for this kind of trip, you just have to make sure you are wearing the right gear.

Also make sure your helmet fits just right and if you use ear buds they don't aggravate you. With the pace it sounds like you want to run, you should be able to take off your helmet at gas stops and walk around a bit.

Staying hydrated is crucial. Better to have to stop to pee more often than get gas than getting dehydrated in that midwest heat!

Interstate riding presents its own challenges since you don't tend to move around on the bike at all between stops, so try shifting around a bit. Legs on rear pegs once in a while, stand up, etc.

If my sorry ass can get across the country in two days on one of these, anyone should be comfortable for a short day, if they have the right gear and undergear on...

Have fun and if you're not having fun, figure out why and re-adjust the trip/route/times to keep it enjoyable.

Ride safe and have a great trip. This might change your life and make you see motorcycles in a whole different way!!!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2008, 10:31 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowflyn
All of the above is sound advice. I see you are a pilot so you are accustomed to having an alternate plan in case ........ My suggestion would be to have a back up plan of staying overnight somewhere along your route if you start to feel worn out. If you get a chance before your long trip, how about a semi-long of 300 or 400 miles just to get a feel for a day in the saddle.

Have a good time and maintain situational awareness on the road.
I agree. If you've never done this before, it can be really tiring. It takes a few 300 mile trips to get your body conditioned for the seat time. Or at least, it did for my old worn out body. Above all, don't push it. If you start getting tired, pull over. Bad things happen on a motorcycle when you're tired.

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'06 K1200GT - the new kid in town
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode