Laminar lip for new GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2008, 12:58 pm Thread Starter

Laminar lip for new GT

Anyone have pics and/or reports of a laminar lip on the new GT? I had one on my old GT which worked great and I'm thinking about getting one for my new GT, but they are very different animals with very different windscreens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2008, 1:59 pm
Addict

I've got one on mine. I like it. I'll try to take some pics and post 'em up.

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'06 K1200GT - the new kid in town
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2008, 4:48 pm
Enthusiast

Put mine on stock windshield last week. You need to stretch it out just a bit to make it fit from side to side, which also makes the front part of lip parallel with windshield. Very smooth and I can run the shield lower than normal. The lip sticks about 2" above stock shield.

Leaving on 5000 mile trip tomorrow, will let you know later the final deal. There is a picture on the GT on the laminarlip.com site.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1596.JPG
Views:	220
Size:	468.5 KB
ID:	8284   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1597.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	492.7 KB
ID:	8285  

12 Super Tenere 1200 (coming soon)
10 MTS1200 standard (riding)
09 Monster 696 (wife's ride)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2008, 5:36 pm Thread Starter

Thanks guys. Any other pics/feedback would be appreciated.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2008, 7:56 pm
Addict

Here's mine. I took a 400 mile trip (that would be 800 roundtrip for those math impaired types) and I think it made a world of difference in the buffeting and noise.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	lip 001.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	8286   Click image for larger version

Name:	lip 002.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	8287   Click image for larger version

Name:	lip 003.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	8288   Click image for larger version

Name:	lip 004.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	8289   Click image for larger version

Name:	lip 005.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	8290  

Name:	lip 006.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	8291   Click image for larger version

Name:	lip 007.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	8292   Click image for larger version

Name:	lip 008.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	8293  

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2008, 8:13 pm
Veteran

How about buffeting and cross winds. Big rigs and such. Do you guys notice any more with it? this is the one product I think might work well. The big screens for me just didn't cut it. I hated my Ztechnik. It really threw the front end around bad. Are you still able to look over it cleanly? And how is the thing attached? Double lock tape velcro stuff? One of you guys look like you have screws securing it. I'm assuming this isn't the case.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2008, 6:29 am
Enthusiast

Robert_W,
First off after mounting, it was like zero turbulence (backroads no wind), I was very impressed. Now on crosswinds or trucks up ahead, there is some turbulence around the sides some, and it is not bad, but after having nearly or none, you get the feeling you want to take a road more into the wind so you can erase the turbulence again.

Very few miles here, I will have more to say after tomorrow and 1000 or so miles in the heat from shreveport, la to new mexico there abouts.

You can still see over it and I run it like halfway up, any higher seems like overkill and the barndoor effect.

Held on with some very strong velcro buttons, 3M Dual Locks, no screws, BUT he does recommend using some screws (they will give you nylon machine screws if requested) if high speed riding. I don't expect to go triple digits on this trip, but we will see.

Buttons must be put on 70 degrees or higher, use alcohol to clean windshield, allow 24 hours for full cure.

Check interlocks (by squeezing them together) before every ride.

12 Super Tenere 1200 (coming soon)
10 MTS1200 standard (riding)
09 Monster 696 (wife's ride)
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2008, 7:41 am
Addict

Crosswinds aren't near as bad as when I had the VStream on there. And maybe it's just me, but my gas mileage dropped bad with the VStream. That's not the case with the Lip.

I called the Lip folks and asked them where to mount the Lip, and based on my height (6'3"), they suggested putting the Lip about 1 3/4" above the stock shield. They even suggested temp mounting it with duct or gaffers tape and doing a test ride to find the best spot. I tires that, but the tape didn't stick too well, so I went with about 1 3/4 - 2" above the stock shield. I can still see over it, but really with the Lip there's no reason to run the shield all the way up.

I'm using the provided super stick velcro dots that came with the Lip. Follow the directions and you shouldn't have any problems with them sticking, but being paranoid about it flying off, I added another dot on each side. They give you several extra, so just used a couple of them. They do say if you plan on cruising at high speeds to use bolts to secure it. I've had mine up to around 100 a time or two (briefly), and the dots seem to be holding it ok. I don't know that I'd trust them on any kind of sustained high speed run, though.

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2008, 8:03 am
Veteran

Wonder if there is any difference between this and the Aeroflow?

Most of my helmet turbulence seems to come from around the lowers and mirror area. Can't get into the Aeroflow "lips" thing on the fairing.

Mack
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2008, 9:06 am
Veteran

I'm slightly hesitant as to the idea of having to drill holes in Plexiglas to screw or bolt this thing on. Any of you guys actually done this? Successfully? How? The only time I ever tried it in the past I cracked it bad. Dual Lock is strong stuff but how strong? I would think I'd want to try it and then bolt it if I liked it. Also, any one ever had or heard of one flying off?

I'm real curious about this thing. What about back pressure?

David.....please give a report after spending some miles. Things like.....does it allow enough air to pass in the heat if you put the screen all the way down? If you hit strong crosswinds. On coming big rigs at 70+ mph. Just over all handling/ buffeting/ satisfaction etc. It sounds like so far you like it. But we all learn new things after spending a few days in the saddle with new toys.

The price doesn't seem too bad, I may just have to order one.

Thanks guys!

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode