Fuel Capacity Meter/Gauge - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2008, 8:30 am Thread Starter

Fuel Capacity Meter/Gauge

Hi All,

I'm considering the GT as my next bike and I have a quick question about the fuel gauge. How does it display remaining fuel?

I know there's a system that estimates the remaining distance but is there an actual accurate fuel level indicator?

I currently ride a v-strom which uses the "5 bars method". Although the bars are not linear (5 bars = 22l, 4 bars = 14l, 3 bars = 10l etc) at least I know exactly how much is in the tank judging by the number of bars.

Thanks....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2008, 9:11 am
Addict

The GT has a fuel guage, similar to the one in a cage. It also has a warning light for reserve.

James
Central Texas
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2008, 2:36 pm
IBR# 366

The fuel gauge is a long, vertical bar that goes down in small increments. Think of it like 10 or 12 small bars stacked on top of each other, with marks at 3/4, 1/2, and 1/4. It seems reasonably accurate in terms of the volume of fuel remaining, if not total mileage.

There is also a Miles Remaining countdown that is wildly inaccurate. When you first fill up it gives a good indication of miles remaining (say, 240 or so), then as the fuel is used up it stays high for a while then starts dropping slowly, then near the end starts dropping much faster.

So at 3/4 tank it will still say something like 210 miles remaining, at 1/2 tank you have 160 remaining, at 1/4 tank you have 90 remaining, then it starts dropping rapidly so that the last 60 miles remaining gets used up in 35-40 miles. But when the Miles Remaining gets to 0, you still have a full gallon "reserve" left.

I can usually count on a 240-mile tank (going into the reserve area), so I just reset the trip meter at every fill up. That seems to be much easier and much more accurate, although I do also monitor the fuel gauge to see if there is any significant variation (higher mileage at high altitudes, lower mileage at high speeds or into a headwind).

Having said all that, the fuel gauge is pretty much trivial once you start riding this bike. The power, handling, comfort, excellent amenities, and sheer fun factor far outweigh the minor things.

So go ride one and see for yourself.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2008, 10:43 pm

Miles remaining

Ken,

I got a software upgrade to V11. It was part of the airbox upgrade to my 2006. One of the benefits is the miles to empty is now linear and accurate. The mpg is now accurate too.

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
The fuel gauge is a long, vertical bar that goes down in small increments. Think of it like 10 or 12 small bars stacked on top of each other, with marks at 3/4, 1/2, and 1/4. It seems reasonably accurate in terms of the volume of fuel remaining, if not total mileage.

There is also a Miles Remaining countdown that is wildly inaccurate. When you first fill up it gives a good indication of miles remaining (say, 240 or so), then as the fuel is used up it stays high for a while then starts dropping slowly, then near the end starts dropping much faster.

So at 3/4 tank it will still say something like 210 miles remaining, at 1/2 tank you have 160 remaining, at 1/4 tank you have 90 remaining, then it starts dropping rapidly so that the last 60 miles remaining gets used up in 35-40 miles. But when the Miles Remaining gets to 0, you still have a full gallon "reserve" left.

I can usually count on a 240-mile tank (going into the reserve area), so I just reset the trip meter at every fill up. That seems to be much easier and much more accurate, although I do also monitor the fuel gauge to see if there is any significant variation (higher mileage at high altitudes, lower mileage at high speeds or into a headwind).

Having said all that, the fuel gauge is pretty much trivial once you start riding this bike. The power, handling, comfort, excellent amenities, and sheer fun factor far outweigh the minor things.

So go ride one and see for yourself.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 12:50 am
Enthusiast

Jeff,

My version 11 software hasn't changed the fuel gauge. It reads empty with 0 km to empty with at least 4l (about 1 gallon) left in the tank. I always ride at least 60km after the gauge is on empty and the count down is showing ---. This is how it has been for 27000km or since I bought it at about 1400km.

Bob

2007 K1200GT Graphite
Ex 1986 Kawasaki GTR1000
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 3:57 am
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTJeff
I got a software upgrade to V11. It was part of the airbox upgrade to my 2006. One of the benefits is the miles to empty is now linear and accurate. The mpg is now accurate too.
Interesting. Did v11 mess up your ESA settings?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2008, 12:50 pm
Enthusiast

Garage
I think I have an anomally here based on everyone else.

Fuel light comes on and miles to empty shows 45-47 miles to empty.
I get gas within 5-10 miles, each time I put between 5.2 and 5.3 gallons of gas in, my calculated average is usually 47+ mpg. So if I run to 0 miles to empty the tank should be empty??

What is the real tank capacity from the manual, it says 6.3 gallon, correct? or am I missing something

'07 K1200GT Crystal Gray Metalic
'00 Ducati 900 Monster
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2008, 5:03 pm
IBR# 366

That does sound a bit odd. I've never gotten 47 mpg on my GT.

I'd strap a 1 gallon plastic gas can to the rack then ride the GT until the miles to go shows 0, then keep riding until it runs out. Then put in the gallon and find the nearest gas station to fill up. That way, you'd know for sure how far it will go and how much it will take.

Do you fill on the side stand, or center stand?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2008, 6:27 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj7840
I think I have an anomally here based on everyone else.

Fuel light comes on and miles to empty shows 45-47 miles to empty.
I get gas within 5-10 miles, each time I put between 5.2 and 5.3 gallons of gas in, my calculated average is usually 47+ mpg. So if I run to 0 miles to empty the tank should be empty??

What is the real tank capacity from the manual, it says 6.3 gallon, correct? or am I missing something
That matches what most of us are seeing. Here is my experience:

1. The fuel warning light illuminates when the remaining fuel indicator first touches the "top of the triangle", where the "triangle" is the tapered area at the very bottom of the fuel bar.

2. The miles to empty matches the current OBC miles per gallon. In other words, the triangle indicates that there is one gallon remaining. (There is actually more.)

3. When the remaining fuel indicator reaches the bottom (lowest tip) of the triangle, the miles to empty reads "---".

4. At this point, you still have some fuel left. I have ridden 15 miles past the point where the miles to empty read "---". I put 6.0 gallons in my tank at that point.

Someone posted a very scientific analysis in one of these forums (link??), where they ran their KGT to empty (not recommended) and determined that about 0.6 gallons remained when the miles to empty reads "---" My 15 miles after "---" and 6.0 gallon fill-up says that his calculation is reasonable, assuming some round-off errors.

My wife was watching television this past weekend ("20/20"). The report was about how many miles remain on your car when the fuel gauge reads empty. According to the report, Americans expect some "reserve" even when the gauge reads empty, Germans want to know the true fuel level. The reporter drove a Dodge Caravan past empty, and travelled over 20 miles.

See:
http://abcnews.go.com/2020/Stossel/S...3989000&page=1
http://tankonempty.com/

Here is a summary for my K1200GT. I assume that this matches other people's experience:

Fuel Capacity: 6.3 gallons

Warning Light Illuminates:
Appears after 4.7 gallons have been used. Approximately 1.6 gallons remain. Distance to Empty should match current OBC miles per gallon.

Distance to Empty reaches "---":
Appears after 5.7 gallons have been used. Approximately 0.6 gallons remain.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2008, 9:07 pm
Enthusiast

Garage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
That does sound a bit odd. I've never gotten 47 mpg on my GT.
Do you fill on the side stand, or center stand?
Center stand, drilling the fill nozzle is on the agenda.

Stange thing though,, my wife rides the Ducati a lot and gets 60+ mpg, when ever I ride it I'm lucky to get 40 mpg, Of course she is on the GT when I get 47+ (must be my tender kidneys )

'07 K1200GT Crystal Gray Metalic
'00 Ducati 900 Monster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode