New GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 9:51 am Thread Starter
Noob

New GT

Hi all,

I am getting my brand new '08 GT on the 8th (July), can't wait (and yes! it's the fast colour, I'll post pictures soon after). This will be my 5th BMW and it's going to replace my 2003 GS. Due to some medical problems the GS's position became unbearable after 100 or so kms,. So the dealer here let me have a GT ('06 model with no problems) for day's test. I put around 350km (close to 200m) on that day, city traffic, highway, hills, mountains (no shortage of those here in Switzerland), and the only part of me that got painful was my face from smiling too much.

Anyway, I have a question for you people with aftermarket screens. I am 1m95 (6.4 ?) tall, with a long torso and I always get noise and buffeting. I thought of the ZTechnic Vstream but I saw some negative comments re:bike stability on cross winds, not sure if that person was talking about the short of the tall version. Then, some of you spoke highly of the LIP. Anymore ideas / experiences?? I am not looking for a car ride, just a bit more comfort without disturbing the solid ride the GT offers.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 10:53 am
Addict

get the aeroflow high screen + aerogards, i did so and works very well.

2010 R1200RT
2009 X6
2010 X1
former and future k owner
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 11:48 am

Pegassos
I know all about "medical conditions" I had a back operation when my R1200RT was on 500km. It stood waiting in the garage for 7 weeks. Then I realised that it became more and more painfull riding it. My back could not handle the jerky throttle in first gear. I rode a friend's K1200GT at crawling speed. Sold the RT at 4000km and bought the GT, now on 9000 painless kms. What a bike!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 3:13 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks Doru. I saw your pictures and your screen looks quite substantial. I don't see much weather passing by it.

William, no back surgery for me but a chronic bad back and an old sports injury of left shoulder had me picking my way through the smoothest surfaces available on the road after about 30 mins on the bike. Position too upright and handle-bars too wide. I tried several mods and positions with the bars with risers and the like but no help. I asked the dealer to lower the bars to minimum on the GT, lifted the seat to max and away I went thinking of options, colours, and radar detectors within 5 minutes. I had 3 K bikes before the GS, the last one was a '00 RS. But the GT is a different animal....and I thought that the RS was fast and comfy!!

By the way, does your Remus "pop" on deceleration?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 7:18 pm
2 heads are better than 1

Congrats on the GT! I have the VStream on my GT and have ridden in a variety of wind conditions and havne't noticed any issues. I find it to be a great windscreen. I had one on my LT as well and like it at least as much.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 BMW R1200RT Polar Metallic
2008 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S Red (of course)

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 8:22 pm
Rookie

I have the shorter version of the VStream on my '08 and have no problems with cross winds, especially compared to my old RT. I like to look over the screen when I ride, and the VStream gives me a stable flow over the top of my helmet with it up about 3/4's of the way. I tried a +4" cee bailey at the dealer and felt like I was in a phone booth!

Steve Sylvester
Paso Robles, Ca

'08 K1200GT
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 9:11 pm
Enthusiast

I have a Remus and it "pops" on deceleration... and a loud one once in awhile!

Gary
2007 K1200GT
Dark Graphite Grey
New Jersey-Don't Laugh!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2008, 4:42 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Well, "Brunhilda" is here. She arrived as planned on the 8th. I put on around 150 km coming back from the dealership, making sure to take a couple of "wrong turns" and ending up on a perfect B road with lazy turns and hills just right for a new motor and fresh tires and discs.

A few minutes on the bike, temps normal, speed normal, I closed the throttle as I approached a roundabout and I got the biggest scare of my life when the exhaust popped so loud I thought I somehow broke my brand new bike. Already at 260 kms and no subsequent pops, I don't know what that was. I had a mechanic once who forgot a rag in the intake hole of my car's airbox when he changed the filter, perhaps a BMW assembly person forgot something in the exhaust.

Going into 3rd from 2nd sounds like I change gears with hammer and chisel, the rest of the gears are buttery smooth. I also found that if I pull in the clutch, wait around 5 seconds before I put in 1st, the bike doesn't shudder at all.

Anyway, here are some pictures:

sorry, no pictures, I tried twice to upload them but apparently the server was busy. Tomorrow!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 2008, 11:34 am

Pegassos
Yes, mine pops regularly, sometimes very loudly :-), I love it
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 2008, 8:35 pm
Enthusiast

Mine always did one loud pop when passing through about 2500rpm on over run, especially when cold. With the V11 software I hardly ever hear any popping at all.

I think it might occur when the fuel is reintroduced after being shut off for deceleration at higher revs. Maybe version 11 has modified this a little bit to reduce the pop.

Bob

2007 K1200GT Graphite
Ex 1986 Kawasaki GTR1000

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode