Missed shifts - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 7:19 am Thread Starter
Noob

Missed shifts

I just picked up my new (to me) '07 GT this past weekend. It has 6500 miles on the clock. I've had the opportunity to put about 300 miles on it so far, mostly around town, with about 100 on the highway. I find that quite a few times when shifting from first to second, even though you hear and feel the "clunk," it hits neutral. Of course, then the engine revs as you let the clutch out and roll on...so you give it another, firmer up-shift with your left foot, only to have the same thing happen again, with an even louder "clunk." So far, it has gone into gear on the third attempt every time this has happened.

This has happened to me at least 4 times since I got the bike. Are missed shifts "normal" with this bike, or is there a problem brewing that I should get looked at?

By the way, I discovered this forum from the BMW LT site. (Thanks Griff) I also have a '93 K1100LT, a '99 K1200LT and an '07 R1200GS Adventure so I'm no stranger to BMWs...just a stranger to missed shifts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 7:51 am
Enthusiast

I remember missing 1st to 2nd shifts a few times when I first got the bike, and wondered if a problem was brewing. When I missed, the bike popped out of 2nd, so it was different from your experience, where you don't engage at all. I tried to school myself into more aggressive shifts into 2nd, and it seems to have worked. I've now got 14k on it with no shifting problems except an occasional miss - operator error.

Guy Howard
K12LT 05 (sold)
K12GT 07 - build 12/06 BMSK-P ECU (ASC retrofit), V.3 airbox, new o2 sensor @18k, PowerFrk module @25k
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 9:06 am
Veteran

Hi Dave,

Welcome to the group! You will find a lot of great people here, with a lot of experience. Congrats on your GT, too.

I bought my 2007 K1200GT new last year. Other than a few obvious operator errors, I don't have the missed shift problem you describe. More often, I am looking for neutral, and pass through it into first or second, depending on direction. In those cases, it goes from first into second easily. (I have been riding for nearly 30 years, and still miss neutral frequently. It doesn't seem to matter which model of motorcycle I'm riding, either. If some people are "all thumbs", then my left foot must be "all big toes".)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 9:13 am
Veteran

Howdy and welcome. I too miss shifts from 1st to 2nd but only at the end of the day and when I'm tired. Foot to brain or vise versa gets lazy I guess. Here the clunk, let out the clutch and hit the gas ........VROOOMMM! Nada. Feel like a dork and hit it hard up and it goes right in. Never had to do it a 3rd time that I remember.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 10:13 am
Veteran

I believe there is some adjustment in the linkage if you aren't hitting it right.

Mack
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 5:44 pm
Enthusiast

I think it is highly unlikely that it is the bike, although it is not impossible. It is certainly not a common problem. I have never had a false neutral anywhere and like XMagnadriver I find it quite difficult to get neutral when you want it, especially if going from second to neutral.

I had the same problem when I got my Kawasaki about three years ago and it was not the bikes fault. I finally trained myself to hold the lever up while I let the clutch out and have never had a problem on it or the BMW since. You will find that if you don't lift your foot high enough or the adjustment is wrong for you you won't get the next gear and have to have another go at it. This sounds like what you are doing but between first and second so you are jagging neutral each time.

Try consciously lifting the gear lever and holding it up while you let the clutch out and the problem will go away. You will soon get used to the bike and you will never think of it again.

Bob

2007 K1200GT Graphite
Ex 1986 Kawasaki GTR1000
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 5:52 pm
Strafist

Who is that masked man?

Notice that your clutch engagement is way out at the end of the throw. A quick fan of the clutch with a pop of the gear shift usually does it. Though it's a BMW, it's still an entirely different animal than what you have in your stable. Once you get used to it, you'll love it.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode