EWS again? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 10:42 am Thread Starter

EWS again?

Just got back from SD. It was a good ride from the north central part of Arkansas to Spearfish and back. However, I took my Dyna up for this trip and good thing too. Got back and found my GT dead in the water for the second time, was met with the dreaded EWS warning. No problem, dealer is only 3 hourse away, one way.

On the positive side, the current fix is not the same as the last one. Hopefully, this one will work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 10:54 am
Sooper Dooper Moderator

I just went through the fix, which was replacing the EWS ring, so I'm curious about your last fix... what was that?
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 4:04 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckwilmot
....so I'm curious about your last fix... what was that?
Ditto this?

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 4:30 pm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckwilmot
I just went through the fix, which was replacing the EWS ring, so I'm curious about your last fix... what was that?
I guessing and hoping it wasn't the current " last 3 digit 247 " part number that supposedly is in the recall. Lets all hope 247 is the Exorcism for the bad demon.

BOUAK

Jenks OK

07 K1200GT
05 R1200GS
99 K1200LT
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2008, 8:33 am Thread Starter

My last "fix" was last fall, the dealer said the new fix is not the same as the last one. And, yes, the last fix was to replace the ring. Now I need to find the time to spend getting the bike to the dealer. It's a long haul, about 6 hours round trip. I'm close to the 11,000 and change on the odometer and it needs tires, probably do it all in one fell swoop, fix, service and tires.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2008, 9:34 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhorse17
My last "fix" was last fall, the dealer said the new fix is not the same as the last one. And, yes, the last fix was to replace the ring.
What? Huh? This sounds like a load of crap on your dealers part. Not the same fix? Some one please explain what the different fix is. Isn't it supposed to be replace the antenna ring? Now this guys dealer is saying there are 2 fixes for the EWS? ......WTF?

So you had it (antenna ring) replaced with what was supposed to be a new one to take care of the problem and the new one failed? What are the odds of that? But it's a new and different fix this time? Do you trust that they actually did it correctly last time?

I'm soooo confused.

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2008, 9:48 am Thread Starter

They have changed the design on the ring and it has an new part number, as it was explained to me.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2008, 10:38 am
2 heads are better than 1

As I understand it they changed the design of the ring at the failure point, which I believe is where the wires come into it. It's a completely new part. I'm the first person on the books next Tuesday to get the new ring; they have about 50 in stock right now and the line is forming for them.

In the end, I really think this is another case of adding features for features sake. They could have kept complexity and cost down by sticking with the tried and true standard key and ignition system. In cars I get stuff like this, but 4 guys can still throw the bike in a van and be gone in 30 seconds, and no EWS ring is going to keep that from happening.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 BMW R1200RT Polar Metallic
2008 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S Red (of course)

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2008, 11:07 am
Rookie

I'm not that familiar with this EWS but I see my 2007 is on the recall list. Can the d#@n thing just be eliminated or bypassed somehow? I'm satisfied with just a plain old key.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2008, 11:11 am
Veteran

OK, I get it now. The old ring was the original design and this is supposed to be the new and better model. Let's hope it works!

And yes to the old standard ignition. Or at least give us the option. If you want extra security, cool. New toys can be fun. But personally I'd opt for tried and true most of the time on things like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode