'08 GT side panel fitment question - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2008, 7:14 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

'08 GT side panel fitment question

Hello All,
Happy 4th.

Dropped the key down the front as I removed it from the ignition.
Didn't go through to the ground. Looked and looked. Felt and felt. Even shook and bounced.
Must be on the motor or something.

Anyway.

Removed the side fairing panels from my GT.
Reinstalled them, but had some trouble with the locating pins and grommets.
I noticed that the pin did not slip in very easily into the grommet. Thought they were in well enough, holes all lined up, so I started all the screws by hand and tightened her down. Rode for a few weeks. Yesterday I noticed the R/S panel has some distortion at the pin location, as if it's not seated properly.

Anyone else with similar experience and/or proper procedural recommendation.

I did search here first. Found something, but the Utube video had been removed.

BTY - The key was on a suspension piece. Didn't need to remove the panels in the first place.

DMilan

Last edited by DMilan; Jul 4th, 2008 at 7:29 am. Reason: add on
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2008, 10:15 am
Enthusiast

The pins on my side panels (2007) fit into white grommets attached to the bike that are lubricated with some sort of silicone gel. Maybe yours are dry, mine slip right in if alligned properly...

Gary
2007 K1200GT
Dark Graphite Grey
New Jersey-Don't Laugh!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2008, 10:24 am

Sorry to hear that you have become a victim of para magnetic properties of the New K motor. This motor is made of a highly secret and tecnical material which has both traditional magnetic properties for iron-based items, but it also has a properties of attracting non iron based materials. It seems that the field waves are more effective at attracting smaller items into its core than the larger parts which seem to be less susceptable to the magnetic fields.

Once the part has entered into the para magnetic field it seems to pass through the space-time continum and vanish from our dimension. It has been reported by some that the proper use of certain words sometimes will help the part pass back into the current space-time continum. But the exact words have not been documented on this site yet.

Anyway, the RS panel has the utility box and that needs to be properly aligned before seating the guide pin into the grommet. I find that I have to push the guide pin into the grommet; it does not just slip in easily. The panel should fit properly and align nicely before any screws are inserted. If not, I suggest that the panel has not been properly positioned. The screws are not used to bring the panel into alignment.

Ron
08 GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2008, 12:47 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltown
The pins on my side panels (2007) fit into white grommets attached to the bike that are lubricated with some sort of silicone gel. Maybe yours are dry, mine slip right in if alligned properly...
Thanks for the reply...

My drive shaft splines were dry when I did the 600 mile f-d lube change ... Why not the grommets too.
Seems they were as I recall.

I'll check it out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode