Riding on flat Z6's - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2008, 7:55 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Riding on flat Z6's

Riding to work yesterday I thought the bike was a bit sloppy on mid corner bumps when leaned over but tended to think it was my imagination.

Riding at lunchtime it seemed to do one little slip from the back end around some sweeping bends, something that I had never felt before.

About to ride home with my daughter and the bike was harder than normal to push backward in the parking area. Riding out the drive way, thought it seemed a bit more wobbly than normal with her on the back but she does tend to look from side to side at the worst possible moment and moves the bike around. Made a mental note to be careful around corners as the rear tyre might be a bit low.

Drive around all the sharp bends onto the freeway with no problem, 100kph (62mph) in a straight line seemed OK but a little bit loose feeling. Drive the 15km till I am nearly home and head down the last bit of highway with a 100kph speed limit. Speed up to 100 and the bike is feeling like it has a frame made of rubber. This is definitely not good and I realise the tyre must be really low. Pull into the slow lane and ride a bit slower till it felt OK and ride home.

Put the bike up on the stand, which was really difficult because it is now low to the ground and I am wondering if V11 software has mucked up the ESA or something. Push the rear tyre in with my thumb so it is not looking good. Also the whole wheel is pretty warm and so is the tyre.

Check the pressure, 6psi! Oops, I shouldn't have ridden home like this, especially with two of us on the bike. Take a good look at the Z6 tyre and rubber is flaking off the tread on the outer edges below the rims but otherwise it all looks OK. Pumped it up to 42 to see if I can ride it tomorrow to get fixed. Two hours later, still 42. The next morning, about 40.

Anyway, I rode to work and when the shops opened went and bought two new Pilot 2's. Pity, because the Metzlers were only half worn after 12,000km. However, I didn't want to trust the tyre again after treating it like I did and I couldn't find anything to cause it to go flat anyway.

The moral of the story is check your tyre pressure regularly and if the bike is handling a bit strangely, its probably not your imagination and something is probably very wrong. Also, Z6's are so tough they don't need any air! I feel like an idiot and am probably lucky to still be here, but I will be checking my tyres more often from now on. I always thought I was pretty careful about correct pressures etc, but not this time.

Bob

2007 K1200GT Graphite
Ex 1986 Kawasaki GTR1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2008, 8:43 am
Veteran

That's why I like the TPM feature. Three weeks ago I started the engine for the commute home, and the warning indicator lit. The tire pressure was 10 pounds below normal. I found a nail in the back tire. The bike was still rideable, with no serious problems, so I left the nail in and rode straight to the dealer to have the tires replaced. It was a little early (6600 miles on the original tires), but close enough.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2008, 9:39 am
Veteran

Jeez Bob.....glad you're safe.

You do realize that this is the universes way at getting back at you for getting so many damn miles of of a set of tires!

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2008, 10:42 am
2 heads are better than 1

I have to ask, why did you wait so long to check your tires? As soon as you felt something different in handling that's the first place to look. I'm glad you and your daughter are OK, but it seems like you both took on a lot of risk unnecessarily.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 BMW R1200RT Polar Metallic
2008 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S Red (of course)

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2008, 12:37 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor
I have to ask, why did you wait so long to check your tires? As soon as you felt something different in handling that's the first place to look. I'm glad you and your daughter are OK, but it seems like you both took on a lot of risk unnecessarily.
I was thinking the same thing.

Aside, guy at work was mad because his wife drove their Camry all over town with four women in the car and ruined a tire and tore a rim up too. None of them thought anything was wrong with the car until he questioned the rim marks on their driveway.

Oh, they are Asian too.

Mack
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2008, 2:22 pm
Strafist

I hope you got a new valve stem installed. Sometimes it's exactly that which causes the problem you speak of.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2008, 4:13 pm
Enthusiast

Bob,

Glad you and your daughter are fine. That would have given me quite a scare...

Speaking of the TPM system, can anyone clarify what years the option has been available on the K12GT? I was looking at purchasing a 2007 GT and while fully loaded, did not have TPM. The dealer imparted the TPM system was not available on 2007 GTs and prior. Is that right?

I have the TPM feature on my little 2007 F800ST and have come to rely on it daily. Almost have to have it now when I upgrade to the GT.

Thanks,

David
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2008, 5:23 pm
IBR# 366

My '07 has TPM. Your dealer is just trying to sell what he has in stock.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2008, 9:56 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpancerz
Bob,

Glad you and your daughter are fine. That would have given me quite a scare...

Speaking of the TPM system, can anyone clarify what years the option has been available on the K12GT? I was looking at purchasing a 2007 GT and while fully loaded, did not have TPM. The dealer imparted the TPM system was not available on 2007 GTs and prior. Is that right?

I have the TPM feature on my little 2007 F800ST and have come to rely on it daily. Almost have to have it now when I upgrade to the GT.

Thanks,

David
The later production 2007 K1200GTs had TPM as an option. It wasn't available on earlier 2007 KGTs.

Other features that are only available on later 2007 KGTs are the ASC feature and improved seats. I don't know if TPM, ASC, and improved seats were added at the same time or not.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2008, 10:21 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

For those of you who asked why I didn't check the tyre pressure here is my excuse.

The first obvious symptom was when riding back to work in a hurry at lunch time Thursday. I then forgot about it and when I started feeling strange things happening it was 6:30pm, dark, cold and raining (middle of winter in Perth) and I was leaving work. There are no fuel stations on my route between work and home and it is difficult to even stop on the side of the road anywhere on the way home.

It was riding slightly strangely but not too bad and I couldn't see anything wrong looking down from the seat. I think there was more air in the tyre when I left work and the flexing between the rim and the tyre let more air out on the way home so it was much lower when I neared home. This was when it really started to feel bad but it still cornered OK taking it easy and was only really obvious at 100kph.

I have never had a flat tyre on a bike and I have been riding since 1971, so I didn't really appreciate how low the air was from the symptoms. It was really only behaving like a 1970's Honda did at the best of times so I wasn't that worried.

Anyway, I will be aware of what is going on now. If subtle changes take place in the handling I will take notice from now on.

Bob

2007 K1200GT Graphite
Ex 1986 Kawasaki GTR1000

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode