IAT Sensor - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2008, 10:43 am Thread Starter

IAT Sensor

Does anyone know where the air intake temperature sensor is located? I have both panels off but am having trouble locating it. I thought I'd ask before I tear down the bike anymore. Pictures would help too if anyone has any.

I am on a holy mission to smooth out my trailing throttle roughness.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2008, 11:19 am
Veteran

Have you done a throttle reset? Key on, open close all the way 3 times, key off. And I'm sure one of the gurus around here knows but wouldn't the bike computer use the regular old temp sensor located just under the air intake to the left as you're looking at the bike? The pointy plastic deal. Maybe I'm thinking way too simplistic, especially for a BMW. If there's a separate temp sensor I don't know of it.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2008, 1:45 pm Thread Starter

I've done the throttle reset - usually after I make a change. I currently have a K&N airfilter and a Remus ti haexacon muffler. These have helped some. The airbox has been replaced and the software upgraded. This really helped the BBS I had around 2800 rpm. I get some slight surging around 4000 now while cruising which I never had before. The main problem is in turns when coming off the throttle and then getting back on. There is some stumbling and not a smooth transition from deceleration to acceleration. I have not tried the stock air fliter and muffler since the airbox and software upgrade so I may try that just to see if there is a difference. All in all I can live with the behavior but I am seeking perfection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2008, 2:15 pm
Strafist

The IAT is located on the back side of the airbox. You have to remove the fuel tank to get to it.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2008, 8:51 pm Thread Starter

Awesome

Thanks
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2008, 11:13 pm
Strafist

It's very easy to pull the tank. Just be aware that the quick disconnect is a flimsy piece of shit that breaks if you look at it wrong.

-=grif=-
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2008, 1:59 pm Thread Starter

Thanks.
I was doing some searches and others were mentioning the same thing. I've seen some metal connectors for sale. I am not sure how often I'll pull the tank though.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2008, 3:43 pm
Strafist

I bought the metal fittings that were referenced for the S tank. Searching the Max BMW fiche site the GT and S fuel pump assembly and ring look the same.

They should be at my office in Texas now. I dunno. Been in London since Tuesday, going home tomorrow, but don't know when I'll get around to seeing if they fit. Y'all will be the first to know.

The reason I want to replace the plastic fitting is time, heat and vibration will cause it to fail. We've seen it many times on the LT quick disconnects, and it's a more robust plastic. On the LT it just dumps on your right leg, boot and ground. On the GT is could cause a world of shit as it's over the engine casing, and near the starter and some other electrical bits.

-=grif=-

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode