Oil Res. Full - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2008, 10:21 am Thread Starter

Oil Res. Full

Hey guys has anyone heard of this, went to check oil level, the tank is full to the top, seems that the oil does not flow back down in the engine, the oil level was good from the last change, I removed the oil level dip stick and turned the motor on the oil started to flow out , so toured it off, still full. The motor sounds like it is low on oil when it is running,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2008, 10:32 am
Enthusiast

It is a dry sump system. The oil is only used when you start the engine and the pump sends it around the engine. This is why the manual has strict conditions for the checking of the oil level.

Bob

2007 K1200GT Graphite
Ex 1986 Kawasaki GTR1000
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2008, 1:02 pm
Addict

Go for a long ride and then immediately (with the bike still hot) check the oil. If you had the dealer change the oil, chances are that they overfilled the oil tank. Mine had almost a quart to much oil in it when I picked it up new, and they did the same thing when they changed it at the 600 mile service. Could be that they didn't drain the sump, when changing the oil, just pumped out the tank. About a guart of oil will drain back to the sump after the bike sits for a few days and will make the dipstick read low. Aparently, someone at the dealership didn't know how to check the oil on a dry sump system.

James
Central Texas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2008, 1:37 pm

As the others have pointed out about the dry sump, this is not a typical automobile system. Check the oil per the manual after running. I think you are ok. I change my own oil and monitor my bike for leaks, so I rely exclusively on the computer for the oil. But if you check yours manually, just follow the manual. I doubt if your dealer over filled but who knows. It has been known to happen.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2008, 9:56 pm Thread Starter

thanks guy's silly me did not realize that this not like a typical motor. when I went for my last oil change I noticed that the oil was low informed the dealer he topped it off, My guess is that he did not know much about this motor also, YOU LIVE AND LEARN EVERY DAY so took out 1/2 liter all is fine again,
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2008, 8:13 am
Addict

That's what I figured... Because of the oil fiasco, I won't let that guy touch my bike anymore. If I have to have warranty work done, I call far enough ahead and request a certain tech. I don't mind waiting an extra week or two for a little piece of mind.

James
Central Texas

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode