New drivability problem, the BROKEN WIRE SYDROME - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2008, 11:09 am Thread Starter

Exclamation New drivability problem, the BROKEN WIRE SYDROME

I was on a great adventure when the pavement ran out, as I was performing a u-turn on the narrow road, the bike died. 06 K1200GT 35,000 miles, 10 miles on v.3 airbox/software 10. something which cured the HI/BB, sensitive throttle, and made shifting smoother.

It would fire right back up but every time I let the clutch out I would die!
Again engine would restart no problem, tried to dog paddle the bike backward, it would die. Trying to push the bike forward, it would die.

Parked the GT on the center stand. Fire up the bike, it runs fine. Pull clutch, put it in gear ease it off the centerstand, it dies. Restart on center stand. Bike in neutral, push it off center stand, it dies. Did this several times

Again put bike on center stand, started it, it ran fine, engage first gear, let out clutch, it is still running, can run up through the gears no problem remember it is still on the centerstand. Take it off stand, it dies!

When I say it dies it’s as if you have shut it down with the kill switch (which I never use) or when you leave the side stand down (which I rarely use).

No EWS warning, no warning triangle (after computer runs through its self test). Now occasionally the low beam would not come back on after restarting but would if the key was reset to off first!

After several restarts and attempts to move the bike the Can-Bus or some Voodoo witch would shut everything down for several seconds! Also after several restarts the heated grips would come on by themselves!

Wiggled all visible wires and connectors! No Joy!
Tried a battery disconnect. Might as well it works for everything else, tps, projectile vomiting, and lumbago. No Joy!

Pulled out my trusty pocket knife, no self respecting cowboy leaves home without one, you never know when you might want to eat your horse! Out of desperation and for what the heck, I cut the wires to the side stand switch. Oops, three wires not two like all my other bikes! Figuring it might be a side stand switch, I was going to attempt a work-around. Brown wire, white wire, and red wire. What’s that five different combinations? Again, no JOY, however FWIW connecting the brown and white takes the side stand out of the equation.

Looking back, the bike did die while rolling up to a stop light a mile after I left home. And in the last month has died twice in parking lots after a hot start, didn’t think much about those incidences at the time. I do now!

Time to give up and become a pedestrian or a hitch-hiker. Three cars an hour, not a heavily traveled road, but they all gave me something to drink. Thanks kind folks of the Kansas Flint Hills.

Pull out cell phone, to call wife. No bars! But pointing it toward the northeast while standing in the middle on the road on my tippy toes I was able to call home. Had the wife come get me. Kind of reminded me of the TV ad where the wife rescues her husband on the side of the road “So you had to buy a motorcycle!”
Only an hour from home and with poor cell service, and a holiday, I didn’t even consider BMW Roadside. Note this only my second “ had to be trailered home” brake down in 700,000 miles of riding. The other was a Norton!

I had a standing appointment with Engles Motors to have my 36,000 mike inspection on 10 July. I called them, they say it is a broken wire, “start it up and turn the bars, does it die”, yeeeees! “Broken wire somewhere” makes sense too me but why are my grips on? “We will put in the computer”.

And BTW since I could not find any problems like this anywhere on the internet I am naming this problem; from here on to be known as the BROKEN WIRE SYNDROME. I will be cross posting this thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2008, 11:44 am
Veteran

I would head right to the side-stand safety switch!!!

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2008, 11:56 am
Veteran

Some "gorilla" at BMW assembly always pinches the hell out of the wires with their snugger-upper tie-wrap tool. This has been going on since the 90's.

Someone needs to take it away from him and reset it so it doesn't pinch as tight or do it by hand. The wire insulation has been getting smaller since the Can-Bus yet he still treats it as old wiring. I've seen some of those ties so snug they are cutting through the outer wrap.

Mack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2008, 1:40 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucecha
I would head right to the side-stand safety switch!!!
I did. It didn't make any difference.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2008, 3:58 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
Some "gorilla" at BMW assembly always pinches the hell out of the wires with their snugger-upper tie-wrap tool. I've seen some of those ties so snug they are cutting through the outer wrap.

Mack
Lets the smoke leak out of the wires!!!!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2008, 5:32 pm Thread Starter

Angry Found the offending wires, the BROKEN WIRE SYNDROME

Here are some pictures of the wiring that is giving me trouble. Everything shuts down when handle bars are cranked full lock to the right. If I push down on the wiring harness where it is attached to the frame everything powers back up!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5548.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	8338   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5545.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	8339  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2008, 9:17 am

Hard to tell but is that the bundle leading up to the ignition switch? Not the EWS bundle, the one underneath it. That would be just like switching the key to "off".

At least you found it!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2008, 1:03 pm Thread Starter

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by iflybricks
Hard to tell but is that the bundle leading up to the ignition switch? Not the EWS bundle, the one underneath it. That would be just like switching the key to "off".

At least you found it!
Left side and it is the one that goes to the ignition switch! Plus two other bundles that go on up to the left grip.
EWS comes up the right side of the bike.

Aren't you glad that BMW doesn't wire the planes you fly!!!!!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2008, 5:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncooper
Left side and it is the one that goes to the ignition switch! Plus two other bundles that go on up to the left grip.
EWS comes up the right side of the bike.

Aren't you glad that BMW doesn't wire the planes you fly!!!!!

Hmmmm, so now we can take this thread in another direction - how to hotwire your bike! So the side stand safety switch is brown and white, wonder what it is to hotwire the ignition?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2008, 6:09 pm Thread Starter

Smile BMW's are thief proof, even with a key!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iflybricks
Hmmmm, so now we can take this thread in another direction - how to hotwire your bike! So the side stand safety switch is brown and white, wonder what it is to hotwire the ignition?
No need to hot wire it. No thief in his right mind would steal it.
When I left mine on the side of the road my worst fear was that I would come back only to find my GT plus several others!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode