Don't sweat the small stuff. - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2008, 12:15 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Don't sweat the small stuff.

Took off for a ride today and had my case fall off and tumble down the road. It got scraped up pretty bad. My poor baby(dark grey 06 gt). What are the odds of getting someone to match the paint. Are ther any other options. Do they sell the painted half or would I have to purchase the whole case. Money is tight right now so I want to explore all options. I'm sure I'm not the first to have this happen so if some body can give me an idea of what I'm in for.Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2008, 12:33 pm

Badger,

This site claims to be able to match the BMW colors: http://www.colorrite.com. Just choose the menu choices for an 06 GT ( which I did: http://www.colorrite.com/matrix-colo...TOKEN=44816149 )

A good body shop should be able to computer match the color as well.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2008, 1:51 pm
Veteran

I'm going through this right now.

Auto paint is very expensive!

A pint can cost $70-$120 plus reducer for about another $20. Then you have the clearcoat which runs almost the same. Then you have Evercoat Lightweight Filler which was about another $20. Oh, don't forget a good sprayable primer/filler for another $15.

At the cheap end you might get by with $100 or so if you can use the aerosols. The opposite end maybe $250. I'm not counting anything like a spray gun or sandpaper. I've got a Sata MiniJet gun (about $350) and compressor so I'm good there.

Problem is the color match. You cannot get a good spot touch-up and make it blend well. Even playing with an airbrush to blend isn't easy. You'll need to do the whole panel. BMW metallics are very hard to match, especially silver varieties where the "flop" (i.e. color-shift viewed from various angles) comes into play. - it makes touch-ups stand out pretty bad. I've had two different mixes made (pints at $75 ea.). First was terrible (too dark). Second was better, but still will require a complete spray to make it appear normal.

You can just purchase the lid portion of the case (painted) for $380 if you shop around (Hammersley or Chicago). Hammersley seems far quicker on orders (less than 2 weeks) doing it online.

Depends on how much you want to spend and if you feel the DIY route is the way to go.

Myself, I've given up trying to blend the Crystal Gray color. It's a bitch! Dupont says that silver is the most popular color of all out vehicles there, but also the hardest to match (which may account for the popularity?). I ended up buying all the panels from Hammesley and will spray the old ones once they're off the bike. Maybe a new color scheme once I drop it on the left side and get a panel for that side.

Good luck!

Mack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2008, 11:48 pm

All well and good on the paint sources, but... Why did the case fall off? Inquiring minds want to know!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2008, 8:20 am
Addict

If you are talking about the side cases, if you don't put the case on correctly, you might think that it is on but it isn't. Put the case on the top front tab and the bottom tab at the same time, and it will go right on the rear top tab. I always try to pick up the case, to make sure it is locked correctly.

James
Central Texas
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2008, 12:04 pm
Enthusiast

Don't Waste Time - Don't Pay a Fortune

Don't worry about who can match the paint... don't pay the very high prices Colorrite wants for sure... Don't even worry about the obscure BMW color codes. Do you really think modern auto-paint shops are still wandering around like they did in the old days trying to match their customer's paint by guessing at what color it might be?

No, they are not. I damaged a case side on my blue bike and so whipped the door off and hauled it to a local (and very small) auto paint shop. I had what passes for a color code from BMW, but he wasn't interested in it, he just stalled around for three or four days until his computer guy came by to color match everything he had waiting at one time. When his paint work was finished the case was an absolutely perfect color match. He settled for $250.00, but only if I would pay cash.

Last edited by K_Biker_Bill; Jul 7th, 2008 at 12:11 pm.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2008, 12:28 pm

OK, I'll bite: How did it fall off? Did the latch fail?

07 K1200GT

You can't have everything! Where would you put it?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2008, 3:07 pm
Addict-oholic

I have a blue 2006 left side case that has some scratches with no dents from a laydown with bambi that I can sell for a reasonable price.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2008, 7:10 pm Thread Starter
Noob

This is the deal. I had to pick up my son at a friends and mom was reminding me how tight or time table was as usual and in my haste I must not have secured it properly. I've done this hundreds of times. I put it on the bike and all seems fine functionaly. Not sure what course of action I'm gonna take yet but it has to happen quick.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode