st1300 into KGT 2 up thoughts - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2008, 4:02 pm Thread Starter

st1300 into KGT 2 up thoughts

I am either going to buy a St1300 or the KGT. Any body went from a St to a GT. I want to get the GT but I ride Quite a bit with the wifey and was wondering which would be best for her. Im 5 11 200lbs she 5 7 130 . I hope she does not read this . anyway any thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2008, 5:44 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxxy
I am either going to buy a St1300 or the KGT. Any body went from a St to a GT. I want to get the GT but I ride Quite a bit with the wifey and was wondering which would be best for her. Im 5 11 200lbs she 5 7 130 . I hope she does not read this . anyway any thoughts.
This is not exactly an unbiased forum. Since most of the participants own K1200GTs, don't be surprised if the GT is favored here.

I have nothing against Hondas. I have owned mostly Hondas. I bought my Honda Magna new (hence the name XMagnaRider), and rode it for 21 years until it wore out. When that time approached, I started shopping for a replacement with a completely open mind. The only constraints were that I can only have one motorcycle, and it should last a long time. So I spent 2 1/2 years comparing motorcycles before settling on a K1200GT. I did a lot of research, went to motorcycle shows, talked with owners and riders, and tested/rented many bikes. Honda ST1300s are used by several police departments in my area. I spoke with several officers about them, since they ride them every day. Many of the ST1300 police officers recommended the BMWs, "if you can afford one."

The Honda ST1300 didn't make the short list because:

1. It weighs a lot more than similar bikes.
2. It has a lot less power than similar bikes.
3. The universal complaint of the police officers was that ST1300s throw off a lot of heat at the rider.

I can't answer your questions about the "wifey". I am 5' 10", 195 lbs, but ride solo. Here was my short list: (1) BMW K1200GT, (2) BMW R1200RT, (3) Yamaha FJR1300A (not "AE"). 'Hope this helps.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2008, 6:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxxy
I researched extensively and had the chance to sit on the ST and the FJR with the wife before finally settling on the GT. The ST and FJR were certainly less expensive, but the wife felt much more comfortable on the GT. If you can afford one I highly recommend the GT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2008, 7:06 pm

I have gone from an 05 ST1300 to a GT.

The ST1300 is a fine bike, and if you were to go that direction instead of a GT, I think you'd still be happy.

My opinion, for what it's worth is that I find my GT to be a better handling bike, and noteably more stable at higher speeds. The ST1300's have a bit of a reputation for wobbling at higher speeds. I experenced this issue.

For me the GT is a more complete bike. Cruise, GPS, ESA, heated grips, seat, etc., and the added power make the GT a better fit for me. From a comfort and wind protection standpoint I would give the ST a slight edge, but since I have added an Aeroflow, bar risers and seat, I am very comfortable on the GT. Edge to the ST in fuel range also.

In some respects the expression "you get what you pay for" applies here. The GT has all the ammenites I wanted to add to my ST, plus things like ESA that I really have come to appreciate. In addition it has the performance edge over the ST.

Honestly, I hope you can arrange a good ride on both before you make a decision.

Good luck..they're both great machines that were a pleasure for me to own.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2008, 10:14 pm
Enthusiast

I put 45,000 flawless miles on my '04 ST13. My SO is 5'7" and 125#, and she loves the GT and says there is no comparison in terms of her comfort, and would never consider going back to an ST.

When it runs I absolutely love the bike and there is nothing comparable. 2up I do not even know she is on the back. ESA + plenty of power.

That said: I have had a series of problems w/ this bike that are truly unbelievable. I am hoping that they are now all solved. Time will tell.

You should test ride both 2up and judge for yourselves.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2008, 12:34 am

ST is a great bike with a few issues. I test rode one prior to buying the GT. A couple things pushed me to the GT. More power, better heat management, heated everything with cruise control. ST be cheaper to buy and to own and the comfort is equal IMO. Either one will do you well in Montana, in hot California I wouldn't own an ST as I like the hair on my legs.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2008, 12:48 pm
Noob

I would say that all the observations about the ST13 are accurate. No cruise control, not the same amount of comfort, and somewhat heavy. I have owned my ST13 about 2 years and it may stay about 2 more years. It does have good handling, great brakes, long touring range and great mileage.

I would say that the ST13 is just a stepping stone for me to the K12GT. In terms of comfort, price, and keeping it long term, I cant say how that will shake out. From what I can read I dont think I will be disappointed with the GT.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode