Doran Tire Pressure Monitoring System - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2008, 8:20 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Doran Tire Pressure Monitoring System

Anyone have experience with the Doran Tire Pressure Monitor system as an alternative to the BMW version?

http://www.doranmfg.com/motorcycle-t...ng-systems.htm

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2008, 8:39 pm
Addict

I'd like to have the BMW system, I was told it can't be retro-fitted to my '06... This seems like a reasonable alternative- thanks for the info!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2008, 4:24 pm
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhendrick
Anyone have experience with the Doran Tire Pressure Monitor system as an alternative to the BMW version?

http://www.doranmfg.com/motorcycle-t...ng-systems.htm

Thanks for the info,

I will look into this for all my motor rigs.
Cool Gadget!

2007 Blue K1200GT 3dr Beemer
1993 Red K1100LT 2nd Beemer
1985 Blue K100RT 1st Beemer

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/misc.p...g=0&forumid=0#
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 2008, 8:24 am
Noob

Here is another brand

http://www.kisantech.com/index.php?cat_id=6

If at first you do not succeed, parachuting is not for you.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 2008, 3:28 pm

Looks like an interesting system but no where could I find any reference to the battery life in the sensors. It appears that the batteries are not rechargeable and not replaceable. I wonder how long they last?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 2008, 5:12 am

I have installed both Kisantech & Doran on my K1200GT (2007). Kisantech drove me crazy and the people from Kisantech were of no help! They offered to help when I told them "The system is being shipped back to them and I need an RMA!". I have installed 2 Kisantech on my bike until I GAVE up on the kit...and the company.

As for Doran, I have it on my back the past 2 months and it works like a charm. The part I don't like it takes a bit of a long time to send its reading to the display unit. It works as it is stated, it gives an alarm when the pressure is low and when the tires heat up the pressure goes up and the alarm go away.

BMW mechanic told me the sensor can be fitted on the inside of the wheel though. I have the transmitters installed on the valve and visible but who cares, it does the job.

The installation of Kisan is a bitch with the wires extending all the way to the transmitters from under the seat. The wireless bit on Doran beats Kisantech kit.

Buy Doran with confidence, I highly recommend it.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 2008, 12:11 pm
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdane
Looks like an interesting system but no where could I find any reference to the battery life in the sensors. It appears that the batteries are not rechargeable and not replaceable. I wonder how long they last?
I had a SmarTire system fitted to my LT and it saved me a couple of times. They claimed a 5 year battery life, although I figure it would be more mileage dependent than time.

I got the TPM system on my GT and it works pretty well. After ~40-50K miles and just over a year, the front tire started failing to read sometimes, and the rear tire much more often. By 60K miles the rear failed about 1/2 the time, and the front about 1/3. I knew there was a battery in there somewhere, but couldn't find any reference to changing it out.

So at 18 months and 60K miles, I had to buy two new wheel sensors @ $130 front / $144 rear.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Last edited by Meese; Nov 12th, 2008 at 12:17 pm.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 2008, 7:02 pm
Addict

Didn't know that the OEM system had to be replaced. Duh. Just never thought of it. So if the sensors can be replaced, I guess it's just a board that snaps into the cluster for the readout?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 2008, 7:59 pm
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahma
Didn't know that the OEM system had to be replaced. Duh. Just never thought of it. So if the sensors can be replaced, I guess it's just a board that snaps into the cluster for the readout?
The TPM system uses a control box tucked under the passenger seat. I believe there is an option for a TPM-only box or a TPM/alarm box. Obviously, there would be software changes, too.

It is also possible that early bikes (before TPM was an option) would need a whole new wiring harness, or they may have included the necessary plugs in all GT builds. You just never know until you go looking for them.

I doubt there's any instrument panel changes, as it uses the same display area for several functions. There would be a software update needed though.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 2008, 11:41 am
Addict

Ken,
Is there no way to get that battery out of there without destroying the sensors?

James
Central Texas

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode