Hard/no start when hot? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2008, 1:09 pm Thread Starter
Would rather be riding

Hard/no start when hot?

It's a hot day. I split lanes to the front of the line at a light. Light turns green and I start out but the engine dies. I sometimes don't give it enough throttle, my fault. But, I go to restart it and it cranks once then stops, no movement from the starter motor. I try again and it turns over a couple of times then stops. This is getting bad, I'm between lanes and cars ar passing me on the left and the right. Third time gets it started, yay.

I pulled over at the next opportunity and checked for warnings, nada. I've got the P3+ lights with the voltmeter, and they tell me the battery is giving me 12.4 volts, no problem there. Bike starts right up.

What gives? Is it just really hard to turn the engine over when it's hot?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2008, 3:06 pm
Veteran

Boy that must have been a tough predicament. Perhaps it was just "the heat of the moment"? I know if it had been me, my mind would not have been acting rationally under the circumstances.

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2008, 5:22 pm Thread Starter
Would rather be riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKIZIKS
Boy that must have been a tough predicament. Perhaps it was just "the heat of the moment"? I know if it had been me, my mind would not have been acting rationally under the circumstances.
Well, I know what you mean about the heat of the moment. And, actually, it was maybe worse than you'd think because I had actually split up two left turn lanes so the cars were turning in front of me, and also it was pretty close to a motorcycle accessory shop and there were some other bikes around. In fact I'd split past a couple who were waiting patiently behind some cars to turn left...

But I also am sure of what I observed. The engine definitely stopped turning while I was trying to start it, like the battery couldn't provide enough power to crank the starter. For a moment I was sure I was going to have to push it to the side of the road.

Oh, and I got it started and got back in the traffic before the other bikes caught up to me. (It was a looong line of cars.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2008, 5:37 pm
IBR# 366

High compression engines (like the GT) take a lot more power to crank over when hot than when cool. At least it was just embarrassing when it could have been much worse.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2008, 7:47 pm
Veteran

Time to pitch that sorry BMW battery and get an Odyssey battery (PC-680MJ) and slow-crank issues will be resolved.

Oh, you're giving lane splitters a bad name by stalling out.

Mack
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2008, 8:40 pm Thread Starter
Would rather be riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
Time to pitch that sorry BMW battery and get an Odyssey battery (PC-680MJ) and slow-crank issues will be resolved.
Hmm, the Odyssey battery you mention is rated at 17AH, but the BMW gel battery is rated at 19AH. Wouldn't that be a step in the wrong direction? FWIW my battery appeared to be fully charged at the time.

Yeah, I deserve a spanking for stalling out, and another for splitting left turn lanes. It won't happen again. (The stalling out that is.)
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2008, 10:29 pm
Veteran

I'm suspect of the AH rating of batteries. If you look at the Exide site, from the dimensions of their batteries they make for BMW, most of them are rated 12 AH @ 10hrs. They don't list the cold-cranking amps either for some reason.

Anyhoo, this is what I learned way back when mine crapped out after maybe 1 1/2 years on this site.

"I was just looking at the Exide battery website. Looks like their Free Replacement period is only 6 months for motorcycle batteries, whereas Odyssey is 2 years free replacement on motorcycles. The stock battery weight is around 4 pounds less than the Odyssey too.

Also, at the end of the Odyssey specs page (LINK) I noted that without the metal jacket, the battery range is -40 to 113 degrees F. With the metal jacket it bumps up to -40 to 176 degrees F. Big difference. I'm sure that a battery under a closed fairing and sitting atop a K1200 engine is going to get hotter than 113 degrees F. No wonder the stocker crapped out so early (actually 19 months must be pretty good if Exide warranties it for free replacement within 6 months). Heck, it gets that hot around here in the summer to cook a battery without firing the bike up! Glad I left the metal jacket on."

Another site lists the detrimental damage done to a battery increases for every 15 degrees F in temp above their max. ratings range. The metal jacket on the Odyssey raises that by 63 degrees!

Also, I believe BMW was replacing a lot of batteries on some new bikes not that long ago.

So far, mine spins right up now and doesn't do what yours is now doing - which it used to.

Mack
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2008, 11:58 pm
Enthusiast

I once did the same thing and the engine was very slow to turn over. At least mine started on the first turn so it didn't have time to stop on the next revolution.

Mine is always slower to crank when the engine is hot, especially immediately after turning it off (or stalling). After that first stall when splitting lanes I am now very careful to give it enough throttle and revs. Luckily I haven't stalled it since.

Bob

2007 K1200GT Graphite
Ex 1986 Kawasaki GTR1000
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2008, 5:56 am
Noob

Same thing happen to me a while back. At a light, on a hot day I just did not give it enough throttle and it died on me. It then did not have enough power to crank the engine. Waited like 5 minutes while I took a call and then it just had enough juice to start again. I was close enough to the dealer so I decided to visit him to have it replaced. I turned the bike off with the dealer's mechanic right next to me and it just did not crank up again. He replaced it free of charge ( they have a two years warranty).
Now I plug my battery tender to the bike while its resting and the hesitation which was a normal thing has gone away. I have not taken a long trip since then but I'm decided to follow Gmac's recomendation and replace it with the Odyssey just to make sure this does not happen again.........
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2008, 11:20 am

Its not the battery...This happens to me all the time under certain conditions:
Very hot outside.
Make a rest stop.
Bike sits for 20 mins to half an hour while I chain-smoke and drink coffee in the 7-11 parking lot.
Press the starter button. Will struggle to turn over. Maybe half a turn.
Immediately depress button.
Wait two seconds.
Will always start on the second attempt. (At least for me)

As someone else mentioned, our bikes are VERY high compression. I think like 13 to 1.
Its VERY hard to crank over such a high compression motor, especially when the motor is filled with really hot air. Any cylinder with all four valves closed while sitting will just cook the air inside causing the air pressure to increase dramatically, hence making it much more difficult for the starter to turn the engine over.
Worst case scenario...TURN IGNITION OFF, put bike in first gear, and roll the bike forward a couple of feet with clutch released. This should flush the hot air out of the cylinders and intake track.
Subsequently, the bike should start right up.

Last edited by PUREBRAD; Jul 18th, 2008 at 11:38 am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode