Michelin Pilot Road 2 Price Increase? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2008, 11:04 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Michelin Pilot Road 2 Price Increase?

I've been away from the forum for awhile. New job, new location.

New location also means getting acquainted with the local Beemer Dealer. With 8,000 miles on my original set of tires I caught a nail in the rear tire so I stopped in for a new set of Michelin Pilot Road 2s. I've heard the Pilot 2s are great tires but what I didn't expect was the price the dealer charged me. $279.95 rear and $187.95 front...just for the tires.

I was told that there was a recent and substantial price increase from Michelin for the Pilot 2s. Can anyone else substantiate the price increase or did I get taken for about $150.00 over what I should have paid?

Thanks.

John06KGT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2008, 12:13 am
Enthusiast

tires

I just checked tires prices at Southwest Moto Tire based out of Tucson and you could have purchased Pilot Road 2 tires front and rear for $304 (no shipping fee when you buy 2 tires). Then you would need to have them mounted. With wheels off the bike I can get the mount and balance in my local area of Orange Co., Ca. for $20 a tire or $40 total. So for a total of $344 I could have a brand set of tires ready to ride after I reinstalled the wheels. If you not utilizing Southwest Moto you should. I cannot even fathom paying $468.00 for a set of tires alone which did not include M & B.

'05 R1200RT, Ruby, as in RED, (current garage queen)
'04 R1150RT, '99 Ducati 748 BiPosto, '93 Seca II, '93 K1100RS, '83 Yamaha Maxim 750,
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2008, 3:25 am
Addict

John I picked up a nail last week and my tyre guy quoted me $275 fitted on Saturday. The last one I put on in March Im sure was $245.
Ive only got 3000 miles on this tyre so I reluctantly opted for a mushroom plug $35.
I reckon Im about to cop a pasting from you guys for admitting it too.

Black stuff down, Shiny side up!______________________________
10 R1200RTSE
02 R1100S
07 K1200GT R.I.P.
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2008, 6:28 am
Enthusiast

The front and rear Pilot Road 2's cost me $450 Australian on Friday, including fitting and balancing, which the tyre guys said they did free. This was a fair bit less than the Z6's cost at the only BMW dealer in town last year, although I can't remember the exact price. Since Perth is one of the most remote cities in the world you would expect things to cost more here.

Bob

2007 K1200GT Graphite
Ex 1986 Kawasaki GTR1000
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2008, 7:39 am
Veteran

The "high" price of tires, mounted and balanced at the dealer, is what made me buy my own changing equipment. There is an up-front cost for the equipment, but I can "save" at least $175 per front and rear change each time. I also bought my tires from SWMOTO. You may be able to find someone in your area who will share his/her tire equipment for a lot less than the dealer charges. The other good thing about having your own tire equipment is that you can change tires, flat or otherwise, when YOU want to not when the dealer is available or has your tires in stock. Once I change my tires, I order another set to have them ready when I am.

07 BMW K1200 S (cosmic blue/titan silver)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2008, 8:21 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by John06KGT
I've been away from the forum for awhile. New job, new location.

New location also means getting acquainted with the local Beemer Dealer. With 8,000 miles on my original set of tires I caught a nail in the rear tire so I stopped in for a new set of Michelin Pilot Road 2s. I've heard the Pilot 2s are great tires but what I didn't expect was the price the dealer charged me. $279.95 rear and $187.95 front...just for the tires.

I was told that there was a recent and substantial price increase from Michelin for the Pilot 2s. Can anyone else substantiate the price increase or did I get taken for about $150.00 over what I should have paid?

Thanks.

John06KGT
Johnhttp:
Check with these nice people, they are in Medford, Or. www.motorcycle-superstore.com/
I buy most of my tires there.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2008, 9:08 am
Addict

I think with tax an 20 to mount per tire I got them for about 385 at cycle gear on a sunday.

180 Rear 140 Front = 320
TAX 25
2 Mount 40

2008 R 1200 GS ADV
2007 K 1200 GT Graphite
98 HD Sportster 1200C [Sold] (Mistake)
Various dirt bikes in my youth.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2008, 11:14 am
Veteran

John,

On 29 May, I took a nail in my rear tire. That afternoon, the TPM warned me about low tire pressure (10 psi low), but the bike was still rideable. I found the nail and called the nearest BMW dealer. They stayed late just for me, and replaced the front and rear tires on my K1200GT with Michelin Pilot Road 2s while I waited. The service manager told me that their tire prices are very good. Your post confirms it.

Pilot Road 2 120/70ZR17 (Front): $136.95
Pilot Road 2 180/55ZR17 (Rear): $189.95
2 weights: $2.00
Cleaner: $1.00
2 CTRF (California Tire Recycle Fund, $1.75 x 2): $3.50
1 hour labor: $84
EPA waste disposal: $1.00
Tire Disposal: $2.00
Sales tax: $25.57

Grand Total: $446.47

Other notes of interest:

1. I have seen discussions on these forums about different brands of tires for the K1200GT. According to the service manager, not all of them are "BMW approved". The Dunlop Roadsmarts are not approved, for example. The service manager was quite willing to install any tire I wanted, and they stock tires that are not BMW approved for customers who want them. The discussion was merely informational, that's all. The service manager couldn't tell me what bad thing happens (if anything) when you use non-approved tires. Examples of BMW approved tires include Bridgestone 020s (but not 021s yet) and Metzlers. According to the sales manager, the Michelin Pilot Road 2s were only just recently approved by BMW.

2. The Michelins were more expensive than the other tires. I don't remember exactly, but they were about $20 more for the fronts, and $35 more for the rears. I chose the Michelins because I wanted to try a dual compound tire and had read good reviews on these forums about them. The extra cost may be a waste, because I ride mostly slabs. We'll see.

3. There was a somewhat limited selection of tires in stock at the time. I had a choice of four brands of tires. The only BMW approved tires in stock were the Metzlers and the Michelins. I could have asked the dealer to install any brand of tire that I wanted, if I was willing to leave my bike and let them order the desired tires. I didn't have that option.

4. I had 6,600 miles on the original Bridgestone 020 tires that came with the K1200GT. The rears were just at the wear bars, and the fronts were scalloped. That's why I replaced both tires. In addition, if I had replaced the tires separately, I would have paid for an additional hour of labor, which is 2/3 the cost of the front tire anyway.

5. Brown Motor Works in Pomona, CA will be giving a tire seminar on 19 July, including an emergency repair demo. They are not the ones who took care of my tire replacement, but I can vouch for them - they have great people there.

http://www.brownmotorworks.net/
http://www.brownmotorworks.net/events.asp#tire

Last edited by XMagnaRider; Jul 8th, 2008 at 11:25 am.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2008, 7:53 am Thread Starter
Addict

Thanks to all for the assistance and great information. You confirmed that I've just been taken for a quite the ride. Shame on me though for assuming how much it was going to cost. Lesson learned. This dealer may be the only one around for about 100 miles but he just made all the money he's ever going to make off of me.

I'll find someone to share tire changing equipment with and check into all of the suggested tire dealers.

Thanks again!

John

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode