Broken Wire Syndrome- part two - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2008, 8:22 am Thread Starter
Strafist

Broken Wire Syndrome- part two

My wife in I were in London for a week and before that in Wyoming for four days. Before we left I went to chunk the bike keys in my gun safe, and on an impulse, locked the handlebars to the left. I think it's the first time I've done this.

I got on it this morn for the first time in 12 days, or so, and it was dead. I could get the middle instrument panel to flicker some. Pisses me off as I had to take la trucka to the office.

So, is the left lock the common denominator in this? The other two I read about said nada.

We're heading for Port Aransas this afternoon, won't be able to look at it till we get back. Also, want to see if the metal quick disconnect fittings, well, fit. At least I have a starting point, the left hand side wires.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2008, 8:59 am

Are you talking about the EWS? If so, mine wheel was to the right the first time and to the right this time around, just went into the garage and checked, where it is sitting dead to the world. If something else, then never mind.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2008, 9:14 am
Veteran

I've always locked mine to the left. Great, now one more thing to worry about. So far no problems. Guess I need to take a look at the wiring and see that nothing is getting pinched.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2008, 10:01 am Thread Starter
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhorse17
Are you talking about the EWS? If so, mine wheel was to the right the first time and to the right this time around, just went into the garage and checked, where it is sitting dead to the world. If something else, then never mind.
Nope, talking dead in the water, no electrical ions floating around.

-=grif=-
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2008, 10:05 am
Veteran

Grif,

I always lock my bike to the left. Always. Actually not always. Come to think of it, this morning, for some arcane reason, and for the very first time, I parked at the office and locked them to the right.

Is this a sign?

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2008, 10:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Nope, talking dead in the water, no electrical ions floating around.
In that case, never mind. Maybe it a left handed thing, but I always park mine to the right unless I'm traveling and use the fork lock. I've had the EWS twice, don't need this one too.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2008, 12:18 pm
Veteran

This sounds like the beginnings of another recall . . .

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2008, 12:35 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKIZIKS
Grif,

I always lock my bike to the left. Always. Actually not always. Come to think of it, this morning, for some arcane reason, and for the very first time, I parked at the office and locked them to the right.

Is this a sign?
Grif,

For my K1200GT:
At home, always side stand to the left, locked. At work, always center stand, 50/50 left or right, locked. So far (1 year, daily commute plus other trips), I have not seen any wiring issues, other than the well-known brake pad warning light.

Good luck with your wiring problem. I hope it is a quick and easy fix.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2008, 12:43 pm Thread Starter
Strafist

For all I know, I may have been the pendejo that put a zip tie on too tight.

I think I'm gonna take off now and run to the casa. I can't stand it. Shouldn't be too hard to find (famous last words) a pin and the volt meter. Besides, I'm just dying to know if the metal quick disconnect will work.

-=grif=-
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2008, 6:20 pm Thread Starter
Strafist

I got home this afternoon and all the bike's electrics came up and it fired right off.

It wasn't the broken wire syndrome. I chased wires for hours and then found a bad relay on my Painless fuse box. There was also an intermittent ground to the Painless itself. Seems when I ran the self tapping screw into the platform the ABS sits on, it didn't form a good enough ground with the ground lug of the Painless. I've been trying to figure that one out for a long time. The only time I could tell it was doing something is when I really got in it with the throttle, or hit a good bump, the Radar Screamer would scream. So, I cut the wire, soldered some to it and screwed it to my ground lug.

The only thing I can figure out is the relay shut turning on the Radar Detector, Screamer, P3 lights, etc. when I was gone. It was plugged into the charger via an all the time hot plug thru the Painless. Maybe the Canbus thought something weird was going on and just shut down. I don't know. I've entered the electrical Twilight Zone.

-=grif=-

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode