6K service + final drive oil (oil was clean) - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 2008, 10:51 pm Thread Starter
Would rather be riding

6K service + final drive oil (oil was clean)

I just had my '07 GT in for it's 6K service (7100 miles actual, I was on a long trip.) The EWS antenna ring change was included at no charge.

I paid $70 extra to have the final drive oil changed again, and asked for a report on the old oil. The tech reported it came out clean, which is good. He also reminded me that BMW recommends changing it once at 600 miles and then never again. :-) But I figure an extra change is cheap insurance against future problems.

No other problems found, and no visible evidence at all that the antenna ring was changed. Went for a short ride (100 miles) after the service and everything is as expected.

I need new tires soon -- the front is down to the wear bars. They tried to tell me it was a "safety issue" to get a new tire in this appointment, but they didn't have the front Michelin Pilot Road 2 in stock so I had a convenient excuse. The back still has a few thousand miles on it (only has 2K on it because I picked up a nail on Memorial day weekend), but I think I'll change both before my upcoming cross country trip, and maybe keep the half-used BT020 in the garage against future need.

Anyone have a recommendation for a shop on the SF peninsula or in San Jose that can mount and balance tires on BMW rims for less than $60 per wheel?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2008, 12:58 am
IBR# 366

My final drive fluid was just changed at 52,600 miles and it also came out clean. Valves were checked too. No adjustments needed, although he said a coupe exhaust valves were on the tight end and will probably need changing at the next service.

As for tire changes, I've had good luck at Cycle Gear in various western states. It's $20 per wheel, but they're pretty busy now so sometimes you have to leave it for a day or so.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2008, 3:44 pm
Addict

The first change of my rear drive oil was at the 6k service- I am the second owner and wasn't aware. It wasn't clean. I've had it changed twice since (annually), and it was clean. I'm going to keep on an annual basis at the least. I learned how to do it myself and it's pretty easy. Gives one a good feeling to see the splines and keep them lubed too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2008, 8:11 pm
Addict

changed mine 4x within 10k (K1200R) and it has not been clean yet.
Have you guys seen the oil, or just taken the techs word?

2006 K1200R/Full Remus Powercone/Left Intake/Booster Plug

Country Rode Motowerks SUCKS, click here to read why
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2008, 9:00 pm Thread Starter
Would rather be riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastie
Have you guys seen the oil, or just taken the techs word?
I did not see the oil, just got the printed report from the tech.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2008, 9:37 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
Valves were checked too. No adjustments needed, although he said a coupe exhaust valves were on the tight end and will probably need changing at the next service.
So a couple were tight. Why didn't he do it then instead of coming back at next service and going through a valve adjustment again?

Sounds like they want to stick you for two successive valve jobs/checks.

Mack
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2008, 10:59 pm

your new antenna ring will have the word "ignition" on it. Otherwise you dont have the latest and greatest.

F

05LT
07GT
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 2008, 3:11 am
IBR# 366

He said they were on the tight end of the spec, but still in spec. I trust these guys, which is why I had them do the full monty on the bike.

In fact, they did the antenna ring, whole new center stand, and new cam chain adjuster all under warranty, even though I'm way out of mileage (if not time). There aren't a lot of top-notch dealers out there, so I'm plenty happy to work with the good ones.

Next valve check will be done at home, simply because I haven't done one on a slant/4 motor yet. Hopefully, I can take a bunch of pics and write it up for the Hall of Wisdom.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 2008, 3:46 am
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
Next valve check will be done at home, simply because I haven't done one on a slant/4 motor yet. Hopefully, I can take a bunch of pics and write it up for the Hall of Wisdom.
And that will be next month? I have one of those vacuum sucker thangs for the coolant now, if you'd like to borrow it. I wonder how many dealers carry a bucket kit.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 2008, 2:57 pm
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
And that will be next month? I have one of those vacuum sucker thangs for the coolant now, if you'd like to borrow it. I wonder how many dealers carry a bucket kit.
It may be easier for me to come by and borrow it at your place. I'll have another 10K by mid-August, ending up in Tulsa so that's just a short hop down to you. Or I could do it at CCR, but I'll probably wait until I get home afterwards where it's much cooler.

Ken

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode