New GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2008, 12:03 am Thread Starter
Noob

Smile New GT

Well, I'm new here. I've been lurking for over a year and have finally taken the plunge. I picked up the new bike on Wed (9th) and got it back from the 600 mi check today. All was well. EWS ring will be replace on the next service. The bike may be too new to have made the recall list but the EWS is still the old part number. I'll carry a spare in the meantime. Version 11 was already installed and thus far I've encountered none of the ills associated w/ software or airbox. I've been reading the threads regarding seats, windscreens and GPS mounts with alacrity. I'm leaning towards the Big Mack shelf for the Zumo and V-stream screen. I'm concerned with how warm it might get behind the V-Stream during the summer months so I will not rush into that until the fall. I think I'll ride the stock seat a while longer just to make sure I really need an upgrade. I had the Sargent on a previous GS and it worked pretty well. Nice to be here. Any comments, suggestions or warnings will be welcomed.

Ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2008, 8:03 am
Strafist

Welcome. The only warning I have for you is to have fun.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2008, 9:07 am
Enthusiast

Ray,

Congrats

Suggestions, comments, warnings...
My .02 worth,

1. I purchased the factory BMW ZUMO mount. The one which attaches to the bar mount. Looks good, good placement (for my purposes), but the ZUMO vibrates as if the housing is electrically charged when riding at speed. I mean REALLY BUZZS. Can't be good for the ZUMO. I may try to use some rubber washers in an effort to isolate it from the mount.

2. Aeroflow Screen / standard height really helps with wind noise reduction if that is a desire for you. I think it looks good too. Subjective though. That little flip help push the air up and over. Even when adjusted at lower heights.

Hope you like your new machine.
DMilan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2008, 10:15 am

Congrats! Great bike; about as close as you can get to flying while touching the ground

Warnings? Watch the speedo - you will speed with this thing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMilan
[...] but the ZUMO vibrates as if the housing is electrically charged when riding at speed.
Strange. My Zumo is mounted with the factory bracket as well, and I don't see excessive (or even period?!) vibration at all...

-----
His: 2012 K1600GT
Hers: 2008 Buell Blast (for sale) & 2009 Ducati Monster 696
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2008, 1:06 pm
Enthusiast

Strange. My Zumo is mounted with the factory bracket as well, and I don't see excessive (or even period?!) vibration at all...[/QUOTE]

Mine does not appear to vibrate to the naked eye.
You can't see it.
Touch it at speed...and report back.
Mine feels like it'll buzz its pixels out.

Maybe you shouldn't.
What you don't know won't bug you.

Or, maybe I'm just crazy.
Or, I got a lemon GT
Or, I installed it improperly.

DMilan
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2008, 2:10 pm
Enthusiast

Give the seat a try for a while... I've ridden mine for 850 mi. in two days and think it is the most comfortable seat I have had in my 39 years of biking. It definately is an anatomical thing because some people love em and some hate em... Good luck with it. I just finished doing the drilling out of the fuel filler neck to speed up the gassing up and increasing the amount the tank will hold. May not do that to a new bike yet as it may not be a thing BMW wants you to do... I think carrying a spare EWS is a good idea, I get mine replaced in 2 weeks as I'm on the recall list. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I get it replaced before it leaves me stranded.

Gary
2007 K1200GT
Dark Graphite Grey
New Jersey-Don't Laugh!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2008, 4:41 pm

Picture of my simple gps mount. Works with my Zumo or Quest 2. Made from aluminum. Uses oem mount holes. Does not vibrate or block the view the panel. It is KISS at it's finest!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4165.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	8394  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2008, 4:48 pm
Addict

Welcome!

1. My BMW OEM mount and Zumo does not vibrate and looks great.

2. I am fine with the standard shield at 6'2"..

3. I have the standard seat for '06 and once broken in, is now fine. I've done 1,000 mile rides and it is a non-issue for me.

4. Find a tech you like- there isn't a lot of stuff you can do on this bike yourself, unless you live by Grif!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 2008, 12:57 am Thread Starter
Noob

Thank you all for your suggestions. I'm really enjoying the bike and I'm sure I'll have more questions as I gain experience with it. All I want to do now is ride the thing and grin.
Thanks,
Ray
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 2008, 10:29 am
2 heads are better than 1

I just spent 800 miles this weekend behind a VStream on my GT, and 500 of that in 90+ degree heat. I had no trouble getting ample airflow to alleviate the heat.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 BMW R1200RT Polar Metallic
2008 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S Red (of course)

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode