tools needed - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2008, 10:34 pm Thread Starter

tools needed

I am taking Amtrack 750 miles from home to pick up a 07 KGT. I was wondering what tools I will need to take along to adjust the handlebars if I do not like the position. Or do they come with a tool kit. Thanks for sharing on this forum It is one of the reasons I decided on a KGT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2008, 10:51 pm
Veteran

It's got a couple of Torx wrenches under the seat and a reversible screwdriver. Might take the larger Torx wrench. I'd get a short length of 3/8" ID pipe (10" or 12" should do) to slip over it as it isn't very long to get a grip on and BMW has this fetish about torque and lots of LockTight. Shouldn't need anything else other than helmet and suitable clothing for the run back. Oh, and a cell phone in case with the BMW help line or some towing number (like Auto Club with M/C rider added).

You could always add some tire kit like the "Stop-n-Go" ones with a small compressor with the BMW plug or the CO2 route with 6 cylinders.

Enjoy the ride home!

Mack
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 2008, 12:38 am

I was able to easily lower my handlebars with the included Torx wrench under the seat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 2008, 12:43 am Thread Starter

The cell phone option is not very confedence inspiring.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 2008, 12:51 am
Enthusiast

The handlebar adjustment torx wrench on my bike was so far out of tolerance it would hardly fit the bolts. It was like the worst and cheapest Asian made tools you can buy. I just managed to coax it into loosening the bolts but I bought my own to include in the tool kit and this makes it a lot easier.

There is no need for any other tools because there is basically nothing you can do on the side of the road to fix anything. You just need the BMW Roadside Assistance phone number!!. So far in nearly two years (including the previous owner's 5 months) and 30,000km of riding I have never had to use it and not had any problem that actually stops the bike. The EWS failure would be about the only common thing that could leave you stranded and yours should have that fixed already, one would hope.

Bob

2007 K1200GT Graphite
Ex 1986 Kawasaki GTR1000
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 2008, 4:04 am
IBR# 366

Small piece of pipe? CO2 cylinders? Good thing he's taking a train and not flying.

You shouldn't really need anything for the ride home except your helmet and gear. And lots of gas money as you're likely to end up detouring the long way home, just because you can.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 2008, 8:16 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxxy
The cell phone option is not very confidence inspiring.
Hey, beats my toolkit which includes a Sata MiniJet spray gun, a pint of paint, a compressor, a bunch of sandpaper, and a quart of Bondo.

Keeping Hammersley BMW parts on the cell's speed-dial is certainly easier.

Ya's never know where your gonna find the thing resting on its side! The GT just likes to sleep sometimes - although it seems like mine's becoming an annual event. :

Mack
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 2008, 10:32 am
Veteran

Quote:
I am taking Amtrack 750 miles from home to pick up a 07 KGT. I was wondering what tools I will need to take along to adjust the handlebars if I do not like the position. Or do they come with a tool kit. Thanks for sharing on this forum It is one of the reasons I decided on a KGT.
Man and I thought I was in the middle of nowhere. What dealer are you buying the bike from and using using for service if you're taking Amtrak to get the bike? Seems like Sturgis is closet to you but that's not 750 miles away. What about your 600 mile service? You doing all the work yourself?

If you're coming west you'll be going right through Troy. I'll wave as you go by my house!

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 2008, 10:40 am
Veteran

Quote:
The cell phone option is not very confidence inspiring.
You need the cell phone to call your wife/SO, to let her know that you've encountered unanticipated detours. Tell her to expect you home in a few days...
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 2008, 12:05 pm
Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
You need the cell phone to call your wife/SO, to let her know that you've encountered unanticipated detours. Tell her to expect you home in a few days...
Only days????

'07 K1200GT Crystal Gray Metalic
'00 Ducati 900 Monster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode