normal engine sound - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2008, 5:53 pm Thread Starter
Noob

normal engine sound

This is my second breakdown in two weeks of owning this new bike. First was the EWS failure at 75 miles. Yesterday the bike displayed an amber triangle with an exclamation mark therein, developed a loud clicking noise either in the engine or gearbox, suddenly appeared to brake on me and died on the expressway almost getting me hit by a truck while trying to shoulder. My K1200 GT had a clicking diesel like noise right out of the dealership, but I thought that was the way they sound as this site talked about that. Is that the way everybody's bike sounds? Anyone had similar problem with a new bike. I seem to be having no end of bad luck with this bike and BMW. HELP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2008, 8:04 pm
Rookie

Was the flashing amber triangle w/exclamation point accompanied by a flashing gas pump icon in the upper left of the computer display screen? Sounds like you ran out of gas.

Bruce Hodges
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2008, 8:19 pm
Addict

Or there was no oil and it seized up. What else was showing on the dash?

BTW, I have 31K on mine now and I have not had any issues with it. There. I've just jinxed myself!

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'06 K1200GT - the new kid in town
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2008, 9:53 pm
Enthusiast

Could have the oil gallery problem mentioned in the 2008 recall post and the engine has seized. That seems to be a new problem that has snuck in without anyone knowing much about it.

I assume roadside assistance took care of the bike for you.

Bob

2007 K1200GT Graphite
Ex 1986 Kawasaki GTR1000
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2008, 10:23 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobD
Could have the oil gallery problem mentioned in the 2008 recall post and the engine has seized. That seems to be a new problem that has snuck in without anyone knowing much about it.
That's what I was thinking too. Shouldn't hear a clicking since new.

Good luck and let us know what they find.

Least the good news may be that BMW may have solved the rear-end failures as I don't hear as many of those. Never heard much in the way of boxer engine failures either. A K-engine failure seems rare - but if somebody is messing up on the assembly, who knows?

Mack
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2008, 10:31 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Wow BobD, I didn't even hear of that recall. Thanks. Yes I rec'd speedy assistance from Roadside contrastingly to my initial experience. As dwsdad also mentioned, it seems to be the engine. Strange enough it hasn't seized because the service manager called me and said he started the engine and heard the rattle. It definitely seems to be and oil pressure problem. What I am interested in finding out is if the rattle sound I had is experienced by other owners with similar engines. I am afraid that BMW might blame me to charge for a new engine. Thanks for replying too bruce2000ltc. I was full of fuel.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2008, 5:45 am
IBR# 366

The amber triangle with an exclamation mark therein is a standard warning indicator. Mine goes off for low fuel, but also if my TPM senses low pressure, or I assume if any other fault occurs that would require the rider's immediate attention.

I have heard of one or two cases of transmission failure of the GT, but that's pretty rare overall.

As for the clanking noise on startup or at idle, that is often the cam chain tensioner not getting enough oil pressure to take up the slack. It may be common but it is not normal, it will get worse over time, and there is a known fix for it, including an official BMW Service Bulletin with an upgraded cam chain tensioner.

It sucks that you're still finding teething issues on a bike that's been in production for 3 years now (and the engine longer than that). But when these bikes do run properly, there's nothing else out there that can touch them.

Anyway, I hope they find your problem and get you sorted and back on the road soon.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2008, 12:00 pm
Noob

Thumbs up Re: Engine Rattle....

Hi GTER,

I have a 2007 GT and notice a odd rattle at 40 to 60mph in 2nd and 3rd gears. No warning lites though... the dealer has replaced the transmission completely which removed a much worse ratttle. I'm going to take an 2008 demo model for a ride to see if this is a normal harmonic ride for the K motors. I'll keep you posted when I find out more! But I think the transmission problem was just a odd defect rather than a trend.

I still absolutely love the bike... It's amazing! As a former owner of lots of bikes (including a horrific vibrating custom HD stroker "softail") exploding gas in cylinders makes noise and shakes no matter which way you point the pistons. But I'm with ya in finding out what rattles are supposed to be normal and which ones will put you shiny side downhttp://www.k-bikes.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=113608#

Hope yours turn out to be normal too!

Dave
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 8:29 pm Thread Starter
Noob

diagnosis

bringing you guys and gals up to date. The dealer informed me today that the problem that almost got me splattered on the expressway was the failure of the #4 connecting rod bearing. They ordered a new engine from Germany for my iron horse. Said it costs approx 15 grand and wont get the bike back before 4 weeks. That sucks! offered a small loaner with a more aggressive position. Cant wait to hear if the new engine has that same diesel sound. I think they sold me a dud. The bike only has 300 miles and I am running in so haven't gone past 70 and vary speed as proscribed.

Management Associations are UNIONS!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by GTER; Jul 22nd, 2008 at 8:31 pm. Reason: erroneous end link
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 8:56 pm
Cruisin the MidAtlantic joyfully

That's really bad luck for you. I also have a new K1200GT with about 400 mi on it in 3 weeks since delivery. I absolutely love my bike and fortunately have not had any problems. I was lucky enough to have learned on this Board that my VIN was one of those affected by the EWS issue, so I knew enough to insist that it be fixed prior to delivery. I think you should try to be philosophical about it (hope I could do the same), and realize that even BMW Motorrad has a bad part or a bad installation of the part occasionally. Hang in there; hopefully your dealer will put it right as it should have been in the first place for you.
Best.

wintermute
'08 BMW K1200GT
'10 Ducati 1198 S Corse
'10 Ducati Streetfighter S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode