Corbin seat? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2008, 6:51 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Corbin seat?

Just received my new Corbin GT heated seat today which leads to my question: Am I supposed to cut the electric connection from the old seat and splice to new? I was hoping to not have to do this. Have others done anything different? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2008, 8:35 pm
Veteran

Simple answer is "Yes."

You could always splice on the connector of the old heater wiring if they returned the stock heater pad. If not, time to make your own SAE connector up. Polarity shouldn't matter.

Mack
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2008, 1:04 am
2 heads are better than 1

I would recommend contacting Corbin and ask them about this. I am assuming the heated seats are controlled by (and in turn will throw a fault) in the CanBus system if something doesn't match with the computer is expecting.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 BMW R1200RT Polar Metallic
2008 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S Red (of course)

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2008, 2:16 am
Addict

how is the seat anyway? i was trying to buy one but they were so slow and uninterested that i gave up. you can put any connector there. cut the wires and that's it.

2010 R1200RT
2009 X6
2010 X1
former and future k owner
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2008, 4:37 am
IBR# 366

Corbin didn't want to go to the trouble and expense to source the factory BMW connectors, so their solution is to have you hack into the wiring on your $20K Sport Tourer and crimp on a cheap Radio Shack plug.

Electrically there's no difference, as any plug will work and the heating pad is just a simple resistive element so CanBus won't care.

But some guys found a BMW part# for a cable with the mating seat connector on it. Then you could cut that short cable and splice the Corbin plug on the other end so that you could switch between the Corbin and the factory seat without cutting anything.

I'll see if I can find the original post with the BMW part # in it.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2008, 6:54 am

Yes, you do

The wiring works with the OEM switches to turn the heat on and off, but you do have to cut the wires. they provide enough connectors to re-fit your OEM seats with the new ones, so you can still easily switch back to stock if need be...

-----
His: 2012 K1600GT
Hers: 2008 Buell Blast (for sale) & 2009 Ducati Monster 696
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2008, 2:21 pm
Noob

The plug exists as a cheap part from BMW... I remember seeing it... a quick google didn't find it... but it exists (although I remember it being called something other than 'heated seat plug')

WL
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2008, 2:22 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doru-in-Romania
how is the seat anyway? i was trying to buy one but they were so slow and uninterested that i gave up. you can put any connector there. cut the wires and that's it.
Just got it in last night with a very short stint afterwards - less than 5 miles. Felt quite different from old 06 seat, almost cramped. Reserve judgment until after long ride. Until then not cutting anything - no need for heat at this time. By the way, ordered in-person at Americade - received 5 weeks later.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2008, 3:04 pm

Corbin ??

I am looking forward for your judgement. I just bought a 2006 K1200GT with a worn-down driver's seat and am considering buying either a Russel or a Corbin seat.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2008, 3:19 pm
Would rather be riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylife
Just received my new Corbin GT heated seat today which leads to my question: Am I supposed to cut the electric connection from the old seat and splice to new? I was hoping to not have to do this. Have others done anything different? Thanks
I had my Corbin (with OEM electric heat) installed at the Corbin factory in Hollister, and this is exactly what they did -- just cut through the wires and installed bullet connectors. They were kind enough to also put matching connectors on the original seats, so if I want to put the BMW seats back on I can plug the little leftover tails into the bullet plugs and then connect them to the OEM seats.

I was a little disappointed that they didn't just have a BMW connector for their seat, but considering the outrageous price of pretty much any BMW electrical plug I can understand this strategy.

The one thing I'm a little ticked about is that they put the male connector on the hot wire instead of the ground. (The brown wire is the ground.) This means if I don't have seats connected there's a chance the exposed plug will short to the frame. One of these days I'll go replace the plugs to fix this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode