Is it Just me???? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2008, 9:24 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Is it Just me????

Now, really I don't mean to offend anyone, just an observation. Do you sometimes read a post and say- "How can you purchase a bike , a very expensive 1, and and know squat about it". Did you read the manual b4 asking that question in public? "I've got this flashing icon-is it broke and what does it mean?" Perhaps it's just me, being me but, What are these folks Thinkin????? Don't get me wrong, i wouldn't hesitate asking a question, but--really- " How do I get this bike on the centerstand" OMG-give the bike to someone more deserving.. Just had to get this out-ok, i'm an arse, but i feel better now.

Marin Phil
2013 K13S-Anniv ED
'06 K12GT Blue of course!_Sold-too many problems
'05 Ducati 999-My Italian Mistress_sold and missed
2004 K12 GT-Orient Blue-the new me.-Sold
about 30 before that but too old to remember them all..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2008, 5:14 am
IBR# 366

Trust me, I understand.

Of course, I'm an engineer and a gear head that's been riding daily for almost 30 years, so I want to know everything about the bike. I understand that not everyone does but still, spending a bit of time getting to know the bike pays back huge dividends.

Then again, our Instant Culture™ means that folks are used to getting things spoon-fed to them, albeit usually at an exorbitant cost that they may or may not be aware of up front.

My favorite is the posts where folks say "I paid $20K for a premium Sport-Tourer, and so it should be perfect without any problems whatsoever!" That one always cracks me up.

Now I'm not saying that those affected by high idle/BBS, or EWS failures, or imploding rear drives have no right to complain. In fact, they should complain loudly and raise a fuss until these things are truly sorted out and BMW should be ashamed to have released such problems into the wild, as it were. But some of the trivial, petty things that a few folks choose to whine about are just plain silly.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2008, 5:59 am
Addict

Meese, people not bothering to open the owners manual is one thing but expecting their bikes to just work is another.
The great thing about the allies winning the last world war is that we all get to voice an opinion without fear of retribution.
Ridicule however is another matter and anyone who sticks their head above the trench is fair game especially here in the ether.
I then am one who strongly believes that in 2008, purchasing high end products from high end manufacturers should provide buyers with the confidence that it will perform ALL of its functions without failure or flaw.
Seats, Ignition security systems, Air intake systems, ABS systems, differentails, brake pad warning systems and centre stands have been manufactured for decades and mastered by most.
These bikes are very good and very sophisticated but the space station they are not.
If any BMW car was released with these issues it would make every motoring journal and newspaper the world over with resale values crucified.
I love riding my GT and it does so much so well but reliability on a new machine should just be a given.
So there I go again, head above the trench

Black stuff down, Shiny side up!______________________________
10 R1200RTSE
02 R1100S
07 K1200GT R.I.P.
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold

Last edited by Dadicool59; Jul 17th, 2008 at 6:38 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2008, 7:33 am

Microwave generation (affects not just the youngin's) and plain old laziness! We just got a new contract at work and I get calls all the time from a buddy of mine - he can't even crack the book open (too lazy he admits) or do a search in the computer version of the contract. No, I usually don't give him the answer, but I will quote the chapter and verse where he can read it himself (sometimes I'm way off and he has to keep looking...oops)

Sometimes though, if you're on the road and pressed for time it is nice to be able to reach out and get a quick answer. Seems you can never find the info you want when you NEED it. But yeah, +1, read the owners manual!

You want a perfect $20,000 bike? Start with a $10,000 bike and get to work!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2008, 9:53 am
Noob

I found this button on top of the right switch assembly, I press it and a smile appears, thats all I need to know
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2008, 9:55 am
Enthusiast

Read The Owner's Manual

Right there with ya, Ken. I have no tolerance for those who don't at least read the owner's manual. I'm not asking that you strip the bike down on day 1 to farkle and figure out how every little part of it works (a la Grif) but at the very least crack open the manual!

For the moment I ride an F800ST and peruse their forum as well. Had a question last week from a new rider asking what the

" ____ ____ "

was on the OBC. Had to inform him what the Tire Pressure Monitoring system was. Sigh...

Ride safe,

David
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2008, 11:24 am
Noob

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmorritt
..... Don't get me wrong, i wouldn't hesitate asking a question, but--really- " How do I get this bike on the centerstand" OMG-give the bike to someone more deserving...
OMG - the bike has a center stand?? Darn, is that mentioned in the manual?

Good points you are making though.

Cheers, Ralph
-----------------------------------------
Currently: 08 K12GT (yesss!!!), 07 R12GS
History: 06 K12GT, 06 F650GS, 04 R1150RT, 00 R1150GS, 83 Yamaha600, 77 R100RS, 76 Yamaha400
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2008, 12:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHoldsworth
I found this button on top of the right switch assembly, I press it and a smile appears, thats all I need to know
If I press mine the display changes, from consumption to temprature, no smile anywhere, where did I put the manual again??
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2008, 12:52 pm

I found it !!!
Left and right is frown, DOWN is smile, thanks a lot, I learnt so much today
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2008, 12:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadicool59
centre stands have been manufactured for decades and mastered by most.
BMW is not new to center stand failures. My 85 K100RS had it's center stand replaced way after it was out of warranty because some were known to fail.
On all my Guzzi's I had to beef up the center stands because they would fall apart. I had a Norton whose center stand broke and pulled me over with it!

Also, BMW has released cars with computer problems! I have a friend who is a service writer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode