30,000km Service Cost - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2008, 8:01 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

30,000km Service Cost

I just picked my bike up from its 30,000km service and was very pleasantly surprised by the cost. It cost $417.00 Australian, including checking the valves and new plugs etc as required for this major service.

I have been very pleased with the servicing cost. The minor services have been around $150 to $200 and these are much lower than the Kawasaki cost me for services every 6000km.

They found that my EWS was on the potentially faulty list and replaced that and replaced my clutch pack under warranty to try to fix the squealing clutch. It is not squealing yet but time will tell.

While my bike was being serviced I rode one of the new F650GS bikes with the detuned 800cc engine. This bike is a great little bike to ride and the engine is much smoother than the F800S and still has heaps of power with its light weight. It was interesting that it is geared about the same as the GT, despite the much smaller engine. There is no comparison between this and the crap heap single cylinder F650.

Bob

2007 K1200GT Graphite
Ex 1986 Kawasaki GTR1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2008, 1:11 pm

Thumbs up Sounds about right to me

[QUOTE=BobD]I just picked my bike up from its 30,000km service and was very pleasantly surprised by the cost. It cost $417.00 Australian, including checking the valves and new plugs etc as required for this major service.

I have been very pleased with the servicing cost. The minor services have been around $150 to $200 and these are much lower than the Kawasaki cost me for services every 6000km.

QUOTE]

I just had my 36,000 mile service (the big one) done yesterday. Checked valves (all OK), plugs, oil, filters, and even had them bleed the brakes. $437 US. They wouldn't take Australian money! Isn't the exchange rate about one to one?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2008, 1:34 pm
Strafist

My dealer doesn't take Australian money either. Nor do they take money from the Republic of Texas. What the hell?

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2008, 3:45 pm

Garage
That's great! I've recently been quoted 350 for the 15000 miles service on my other bike (a ZX12R Ninja), which quite frankly I think is an outrageous price!

Oh and the F650 .. my third bike is a Funduro and I love it to bits
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2008, 5:24 pm
IBR# 366

To counter the "BMW builds crap" thread , what you're seeing is a conscious decision by the Fatherland to design out many of the expensive and complicated maintenance tasks. The new K- and R-bikes are much simpler to work on overall, resulting in reduced maintenance time and thus lower costs.

That doesn't always work out (see "lifetime" rear drives), but BMW is definitely moving in that direction. So much so, that the latest software releases have added an annual Service Reminder such that those who ride less than 6K per year are still reminded to bring the bike in occasionally so that their dealer service departments don't starve (excessive warranty claims excepted, of course ).

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2008, 6:58 pm
Enthusiast

Mine was $224 USD at 18,000 (30Kkm), but they didn't do the valves. In the next couple of months, when I bring it back for the 24,000, they'll do it.
There was only clean gear oil, no metal, in the rear drive this time. It looked good at the 12,000 mile check up in May. The first one at 600 miles was scary though. But someone (maybe 2T?) said that it may have been assembly lube. It was a silty titanium colored flour in the drain pan. I haven't had any problems with it and now I feel confident that it is wearing normally.
Did get a new clutch pack though, it was working fine, just making a funny noise when I started off from a stop. Kind of a "skrunk ?" sound but just from a dead stop. Hey a free clutch after 18,000 miles, yes.
I have been extremely pleased with this bike and I would buy another when this one is done.

KR Sport
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2008, 7:06 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncooper
I just had my 36,000 mile service (the big one) done yesterday. Checked valves (all OK), plugs, oil, filters, and even had them bleed the brakes. $437 US. They wouldn't take Australian money! Isn't the exchange rate about one to one?
The way everyone is selling off US Dollars and the financial troubles you are having they would be better off receiving Aussie dollars!!

Bob

2007 K1200GT Graphite
Ex 1986 Kawasaki GTR1000

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode