Lost parts, just ranting - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2008, 7:22 pm Thread Starter

Lost parts, just ranting

So I go to hook up my Powerlet cable to the battery so my new Marsee bag will be wired for power. I knew, KNEW I was going to lose a screw or something, problem is I didn't know ahead of time which it would be. Goes like this:

Pull battery cover, done

Disconnect battery, drop a lock-washer into the battery compartment. No problem I'll pull the battery.

Let's disconnect the battery hold down bar and.......drop one of the rubber spacers into the battery compartment.

Okey dokey. Pull the battery, recover the lock washer, but the rubber spacer is no where to be found! Can't believe it would fit in there but my best guess is it's as far down as it can go in front of the tank. Maybe I can pull some tupperware and see it?

Pull the left panel, no dice. Pull the right panel and gas tank cover - drop the forward left side gas tank cover screw into the bike, ugh!

Too bad none of these screws are magnetic or it would have taken 5 minutes to gather up, instead it took an hour to lose! I could see the crew down there on a wire bundle, out of reach. Get the longest screw driver I have and get it to the left side of the wire bundle. I couldn't get my hand and probe the screw out at the same time (this took about 45 minutes of messing with to even be able to TOUCH the screw). So, I pray! Pop the screw the last little distance clear of the bundle and miss my hand, drops into the black hold that in the center of the bike. Short of picking the bike upside down and shaking it, it's gone! At least it has a rubber spacer to talk to down there.

So I still haven't hooked up the bag power and realize now that there is nothing more I can do. Button up all the tupperware (first time for me, not as bad as I thought it would be). Hook up the power, thank heavens it works or I woulda been pissed (not drunk, upset for you guys not in the states).

Gotta source myself a rubber spacer for the battery hold down and a tupperware screw (one of the short ones we have TONS of on this bike). The missing parts are no big deal - at least I didn't have parts leftover like I usually do.

So if any of you see a mystery piece of rubber or screw turn up on your garage floor - those are mine. I know how these parts seem to travel thousands of miles across the globe only to end up on other KGT owner's floors.

Rant over, thanks for playing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2008, 7:33 pm

Exclamation

Don't you love it when you have an annual inspection done on your airplane and the mechanic has a hand full of left over screws!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2008, 8:19 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncooper
Don't you love it when you have an annual inspection done on your airplane and the mechanic has a hand full of left over screws!
Don't you love it when you're chatting in the cockpit at 41,000 feet about the windshield replacement in the logbook and find a handful of screws in the cupholder!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2008, 8:30 pm
JCW
contributor

Pull the fairings and the tank.

They'll be sitting the the valley between the cylinder head and transmission.

Seems like they are gone forever but it's not.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2008, 8:36 pm
Strafist

I found your missing screw next to a sock in the dryer.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2008, 10:07 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCW
Pull the fairings and the tank.

They'll be sitting the the valley between the cylinder head and transmission.

Seems like they are gone forever but it's not.

I pulled all the tupperware but the tank I couldn't tackle. I'm not sure exactly which screws to remove, what's hidden (clips and such, don't need to break plastic bits off) and of course I don't want to get gas everywhere. I have sourced new tank connectors (thanks Grif) for when I do get there.

Anyone have a good pics and step by step for the tank removal? I'll need help with that one.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2008, 9:56 am
Strafist

The tank is easy. Once you get all the tupperware off, there's two bolts in back that holds brackets with rubber grommets and two allen heads up front. Remove the breather hose. The next part is easier with the battery out, but I've done it with it in. You have to pull two wire sockets. The release clips aren't the push style, you have to pull up on them. There's a hose that pulls right off and the quick disconnect unplugs by pushing down on the release (reference your new part to see how it works). It's a total bitch to get the male side out of the gas tube, have fun!

Speaking of losing parts: I had a whole magnetic bowl of screws and accidentally kicked it across the garage. You're absolutely right about them not sticking to a magnet.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2008, 2:07 pm Thread Starter

I saw the two big bolts with gromments on either side of the tank and low. Thanks for the info on the connections. I don't remember seeing any wiring, but I'll find it. Thanks!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2008, 7:09 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by iflybricks

Too bad none of these screws are magnetic or it would have taken 5 minutes to gather up
Tried magnetizing the screwdriver?

Black stuff down, Shiny side up!______________________________
10 R1200RTSE
02 R1100S
07 K1200GT R.I.P.
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2008, 7:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadicool59
Tried magnetizing the screwdriver?
Many of the BMW fasteners are stainless steel ! Magnets won't suck them up, gravity wins every time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode