High Beams - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2008, 9:48 pm Thread Starter

High Beams

Hi All,
I've started riding with my high beams on during the daytime for increased visibility by other motorists. However, I got to wondering if this would have an adverse effect on the headlight i.e. shortening bulb life, increased heat etc. Anyone have any thoughts, experiences, or tech knowledge that could illuminate me (sorry, couldn't help it!).
Mack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2008, 9:54 pm
Strafist

Motolights, or the like, are much better for conspicuity. The triangular pattern of light is just different enough that it gives you an edge. Unless you consider the mouth breathing, cell phone user and nada helps you there.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2008, 7:27 am
Addict

I don't know where you are, but I was pulled over for running my high beams during the day. Well, I was actually pulled over for speeding (I came up on a DPS officer in a DPS truck). He promptly told me that driving with high beams during the day was illegal. yeah, right. First I've heard of it. He let me go with a warning since he couldn't tell how fast i was going. The warning ticket shows "fail to dim headlamps (following)". It was 8:10am - not like it was dark or anything.

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'06 K1200GT - the new kid in town
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2008, 8:06 am
Veteran

Each time I took the ERC I asked the question. Every instructor told me that I should use the high beams for increased visibility, as long as it is bright outside. (Don't use the high beams on dark, heavy overcast days.) Nobody told me that it is against the law to use high beams in the daytime. I wonder if the law differs from state to state.

I still use my high beams in the daytime. I know that my HID is very durable, but accept the fact that the high beam light bulbs will burn out faster. Hopefully they are easy to replace and not too expensive.

Grif is right about having auxiliary lights mounted low and wide to form a triangle with the headlight. Someday, I would like to do the same, with an extra pair of HID lamps that could light up the road at night for IBA rides, as well as getting the attention of opposing drivers without causing glare problems. Ken Meese built his own homemade bracket that is just right for the purpose.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2008, 10:12 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
...............Someday, I would like to do the same, with an extra pair of HID lamps that could light up the road at night for IBA rides, as well as getting the attention of opposing drivers without causing glare problems.............
Hmmm.., Lighting up the road and getting attention is no problem, but I think the other issues set quite a challenge with so much light in the lamp and small reflectors.

It's also surprising how many people hate bright lights in their rear views.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2008, 11:12 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsdad
I don't know where you are, but I was pulled over for running my high beams during the day. Well, I was actually pulled over for speeding (I came up on a DPS officer in a DPS truck). He promptly told me that driving with high beams during the day was illegal. yeah, right. First I've heard of it. He let me go with a warning since he couldn't tell how fast i was going. The warning ticket shows "fail to dim headlamps (following)". It was 8:10am - not like it was dark or anything.
You too?

I got pulled over by the CHP in CA for the same. Something was said about the distance they could be on from oncoming traffic: 300 or 500 feet?
It also led to a field sobriety test as they just love to get you on one minor infraction hoping it will lead to a DUI or something better. He had his rookie patrolman with him to impress him with his vehicle code knowledge too.

(No, I wasn't drunk and he didn't write me up on it!)

Mack
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2008, 2:17 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
You too?

I got pulled over by the CHP in CA for the same. ... He had his rookie patrolman with him to impress him with his vehicle code knowledge too.

Mack
They love that stuff in SoCal. They make you sit in the dirt like some dog so the rest of the freeway can rear end each other gawking, and then just give you a ticket for 15 over the limit.

Try making a turn on a red when the light won't recognize your presence. Easy DUI test. It's all about the money.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2008, 5:08 pm

Post Depends...

I think there was either a thread on one of the forums OR maybe an article in a magazine like BMW ON or American Motorcyclist(AMA) that gave some research results that bright lights in daylight really "washed out" the depth perception of oncoming traffic or say, another driver sitting at an intersection. In other words, the extra bright light diminished the ability of the eyes/brain to see just how close/far the vehicle is from the driver. IMHO I agree with the concept.

As to the law, it's a state-by-state thing in the US.

Oh yeah, South Carolina just passed a law that "after two minutes" a light doesn't change for a motorcycle, you can "proceed with caution". I'm still looking for my stopwatch.

Bill

Last edited by 07K12GT-Pilot; Jul 18th, 2008 at 5:11 pm. Reason: Additional info
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2008, 6:16 pm
Would rather be riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12M5
I've started riding with my high beams on during the daytime for increased visibility by other motorists. However, I got to wondering if this would have an adverse effect on the headlight i.e. shortening bulb life, increased heat etc. Anyone have any thoughts, experiences, or tech knowledge that could illuminate me (sorry, couldn't help it!).
Well, using a bulb will "use up" some of its life, but I wouldn't worry too much about this, headlights have a pretty long use life.

I found this interesting page with a summary of the California laws about lights: http://www.timberwoof.com/motorcycle/lightslaws.html. Nothing in there about not using your high beams during the day. The rule about dimming them within 300' only applies at night time (which is legally defined as 30 mins after sunset to 30 mins before sunrise). The law on modulated headlamps even specifically says it's legal to modulate your high beams during the day.

Certainly worth your time to read the vehicle code you were cited with and possibly go to court to argue it.

It's interesting that they make a distinction between "auxiliary driving lamps" and "passing lamps" (one can only be used with high beams), but don't say anything about the brightness or aiming of the lights. I guess if they're wired to the low beam they're "passing lamps" and if they're wired to the high beam they're "auxiliary driving lamps." heh, laws.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2008, 7:44 pm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12M5
Hi All,
Mack
I've used the high beam since day one. I also have Moto Lights. The Display just showed a bub failure this week. Which one would you guess??

The low beam, go figure.

BOUAK

Jenks OK

07 K1200GT
05 R1200GS
99 K1200LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode