New GT..............? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 2008, 4:06 am Thread Starter
Noob

New GT..............?

Just found this forum, I have been hanging around the "BMW Luxury Tourer" group for several years. I had an 06 RT that I just recently sold and I bought a 2008 GT. Searching around I found this forum which seems a little more in tune with the Sport touring side of the BMW line.

I will preface my question be first saying I have ridden mostly twins (HD, BMW, Ducati, Triumph), and, I live in Nevada where the interstate posted speed limit is 75. It has been known we travel well above that when we are away from the city/s, how do you guys watch the tachometer when it is hovering at 5000+ RPM"s, most of my past bikes red lined at 5000 RPM's. I know this engine is/was designed for these types of RPM's but it is driving me nuts. To make matters worse, I stopped at a large BMW dealer in one of the bigger cities in Nevada and I was told by the Service Department Manager, he did not believe this new K engine will have the longevity or the durability of the R's (past/present) or the older K motors. He felt that, because of the weight and the horsepower that these engine are producing a 100,000 miles would be a rarity. However, he did say that cruising at 5000 and well above is not hurting this engine in the least. I guess I am just not used to seeing my tachometer hovering at what seems like ungodly high numbers. I don't want to create an argument especially since it is my first post on this forum, I just want to get some opinions as well to see what total miles some of you guys have on this now 3 year old K platform, thanks.............Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 2008, 6:09 am
Enthusiast

Ignore the tach and the service manager and concentrate on your ride and the scenery. The new K engine will not complain at all about cruising down the road a 5k or above. As far as the longevity, the boxer twin engine has been around for a long time and therefore has a lot of history to show it's durability. The new K engine does not have that long history but should easily surpass 100k with proper maintenance. There are probably several members of this board that are within reach of that mark already.

'03 K1200GT

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 2008, 6:34 am

Wink

I've spent all today watching my tacho wishing I could go further, much further. (running in) This is driving me nuts.

That dealer in Nevada is fortunate having a metallurgist/engine designer for a service manager. Hope he actually knows how to work on the bikes rather than disparage them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 2008, 8:45 am
Strafist

Actually the engine platform is older than three years as the S came out first.

You'll adjust to the higher rpm. The best thang to do is go out there and intentionally redline it thru all the gears. Then come back and tell me it didn't make you smile like crazy.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 2008, 8:51 am
Addict

Sounds like youve found another BMW dealer with the "wrong" person running the service department.
I jumped off an 07 Harley Softail onto the GT and highway cruising at 4-5 thousand revs had me looking for 7th gear all day.
Ill never own this bike for 100000 miles so I dont much care what its going to be doing when it does, but I did once ride a Honda 350/4 in the 70s that i could change gear at 13000-14000 revs on and they are still around today as collectors items 33 years later.
Enjoy your new bike!

Black stuff down, Shiny side up!______________________________
10 R1200RTSE
02 R1100S
07 K1200GT R.I.P.
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 2008, 1:24 pm

It will not take long before you want the redline to move higher
enjoy
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 2008, 5:34 pm
IBR# 366

Well, 53K on my '07 GT so far and the engine is finally broken in just right. There are a couple of guys up into the 60K range, no complaints there either.

And I'm very familiar with Nevada's back roads. It's like our own little Autobahn.

These things are designed to run at high rpms all day long if necessary so you won't have any trouble there. And if you thing it's fun at 5K rpms, wait 'til you get up into the 7-10K range.

Your older bikes are like the girl next door: comfortable, reliable, and likes to dance. The GT is like you just hooked up with a stripper who's ready to party whenever you are and just keeps urging you faster, faster.

Don't forget our little catch phrase from BMWLT.com - Just Ride It. It really does apply to this bike.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 2008, 5:51 pm

Seems to me that piston speed is a greater concern than RPMs.

Nevertheless, I can relate to those who feel uncomfortable with the higher RPMs. When I test rode the GT, I was looking for a 7th gear also. My RT just seems to loaf along at 70 mph, while the GT seems very busy.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 2008, 6:29 pm

Question I am trying to wear out my GT, I will let you know how this works out

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOTORCYCLE
To make matters worse, I stopped at a large BMW dealer in one of the bigger cities in Nevada and I was told by the Service Department Manager, he did not believe this new K engine will have the longevity or the durability of the R's (past/present) or the older K motors.
His opinion is based on what??? Look at it this way, at 80 mph you are probably only using 25 hp. out of an available 152, that's running at 16% power.
My 06 GT will probably out last me!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 2008, 8:03 pm

Sounds like a bunch of rubbish to me.

Your concerns about engine RPM are unnecessary and here's why.

You mention 5,000 rpm cruising as a concern. Remember that your GT redlines at 10,000 rpm, so at 5,000 rpm your engine is working at only 50% of it's operating range.

Your RT was probably closer to it's redline than the GT was at the same speed, although I can't remember exactly since I traded my RT over a year ago.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode