Run-in Comments - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 2008, 11:36 am Thread Starter

Run-in Comments

As promised, my comments to the actual bike and how it performed in general. First positive and then the negative ;-)

Positive

First thing: 2 acronyms - ABS & ASC

If there were 2 things that I would have to name which have increased the safety of a bike and its rider, it is these 2 systems.

The braking power of this bike, combined with the regulation of power to the back wheel under heavy acceleration in less than ideal circumstances is nothing short of a breakthrough (for me anyway). From the pics you can see that there were very few if any 'straight' sections of road, and the behaviour of a bike that has a max. permissible weight of 500kg is excellent. I have not tried the full power of the brakes, nor that of the engine, but needless to say, it far exceeds anything I have ridden in the last years. There was only 1 situation where I had to grab a handful of brakes, (coming into a tunnel from bright sunlight, making a tight curve on a wet pavement, more or less blinded).

The days of the front end diving under heavy braking is reduced to a minimum. The dampening on rebound is great.

Power is smooth from about 2500 upwards, and often could make slow overtaking in 6th. Many times I was looking for 7th... MY V-rod has power from 1500 upwards, and I have not been used to higher revs for a while.

Cornering clearance is great. Of course having new tyres didn't allow me to explore the limits of the envelope, but I can see this will change

Nice sound! I can imagine that with a Remus can, this would be even nicer

Didn't use the cruise control much because of the run-in, but it certainly is handy when you need to relax the throttle hand. It will be great on the Autobahn later.

Lighting is good, cool automatic adjustment of the instrument lights. Indicators and brake lights are clearly visible during the day.

Negatives

Self cancelling indicators last waaaaaay to long (10sec as per manual). Turning corners in traffic, overtaking etc, I think this feature is useless. I used the cancel button without exception. Which brings me to my next gripe.
BMW, if you are reading this, check out the V-Rod Harley (as an example only). When you turn left, push LH indicator button. If you want to cancel before the self-cancelling kicks in, push the button again, and presto, indicator cancelled. Which brings me to the 3rd gripe. If you don't like my previous suggestion, change the cancel button to the LHS. The right hand has enough to do with the throttle and front brakes without then having to find the cancel button just above the RH indicator. I know it is a minor complaint, but I think the system could be changed a little for the better. YMMV.

What is with the gearbox? Sometimes from neutral into 1st was like using a cold chisel and 1/2 a brick, wow... It must have been me, but going through the gears was most of the time smooth as butter, other times bang ... I hope that gets better as I get used to it.

BACKFIRE - couldn't believe it. I thought these problems had been sorted. Obviously not :-( Usually after decent acceleration, then backing off things would go bang. I will see how this develops, or stays the same.

Windscreen size I think could be better. Maybe I have to get the larger screen, because with the screen right up, the turbulence around the head was much more uncomfortable than being the wind stream itself. I will have to look into this further how to rduce the turbulence.

It has been a long time since my a$$ has been that sore. The seat is the 2nd Gen, and is on its highest position. I am not sure how that can be better adjusted without buying a new seat of some sort, but there is no way I could survive a long tour in that saddle. Seat heating will come in very handy during Autumn up in them there hills.

General

I averaged 5.5 ltr/100km (there's some maths for you guys). Filling up got a bit messy, now I understand what this filler hole drilling thang is all about.

The side stand looks scary when the surface is inclined. Wouldn't trust that with the panniers and top box loaded.

Centre stand is ok. Not as heavy as I thought it would be to get it there.

First 100k's I couldn't find the rear brake lever. Then later when my legs were cramped, couldn't find the gearshift level. Will make some adjustments there I think.

Didn't really get to 7000, and man, this bugger is fast!

Well, that about sums it all up. I thoroughly enjoyed the day, and I look forward to doing much more riding. I cant wait to ride it to its full potential once it is well run in. This ride has got me over the worst of the run in period, and the brakes and tyres are bedded in. I look forward to taking it to Germany, and letting it have it head. Will be interesting to see what it will do flat out.

All the above is my opinion only, based on my previous rides and experience. YMMV.

I hope you guys were not too bored with all the dribble, but there are still lots of smiles this end.

Cheers,

Bloke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 2008, 2:44 pm

Thumbs up You tell it like it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBloke
Self cancelling indicators last waaaaaay to long (10sec as per manual). Turning corners in traffic, overtaking etc, I think this feature is useless. I used the cancel button without exception.

What is with the gearbox? Sometimes from neutral into 1st was like using a cold chisel and 1/2 a brick, wow... It must have been me, but going through the gears was most of the time smooth as butter, other times bang ... I hope that gets better as I get used to it.

I hope you guys were not too bored with all the dribble, but there are still lots of smiles this end.

Bloke
Damn good report!!!!

I have been ridding K-Bikes since 1984. I have always liked the turn signal switchgear. You will get used to it.

Yes the gearbox is clunky, BMW does not use shifter forks, they use two pound shifter hammers! Actually it shifts better the tighter you wind it!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 2008, 3:12 pm
IBR# 366

Yep, that pretty much nails it. Except you have access to much better break-in roads than most folks.

I went with a larger windshield and custom seat the day I picked up the bike. I also added bar risers and I've been comfortable ever since.

And if you think the bike is fun now, just wait until you get above 7K rpms. That's a whole 'nother level of fun.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 2008, 3:22 pm
Would rather be riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBloke
Didn't use the cruise control much because of the run-in, but it certainly is handy when you need to relax the throttle hand. It will be great on the Autobahn later.

Self cancelling indicators last waaaaaay to long (10sec as per manual). Turning corners in traffic, overtaking etc, I think this feature is useless. I used the cancel button without exception. Which brings me to my next gripe.

BACKFIRE - couldn't believe it. I thought these problems had been sorted. Obviously not :-( Usually after decent acceleration, then backing off things would go bang. I will see how this develops, or stays the same.

It has been a long time since my a$$ has been that sore. The seat is the 2nd Gen, and is on its highest position. I am not sure how that can be better adjusted without buying a new seat of some sort, but there is no way I could survive a long tour in that saddle. Seat heating will come in very handy during Autumn up in them there hills.

The side stand looks scary when the surface is inclined. Wouldn't trust that with the panniers and top box loaded.
* The cruise control on the GT is frickin awesome. Beats any throttle lock and many car cruise controls.

* I also never let the signals self-cancel. In fact, sometimes when I'm signaling a turn way ahead (for riders behind me) they cancel too soon and I have to re-engage. On the other hand, I'm totally used to the right side cancel button now, to the extent that riding a bike with more common all-on-the-left signals feels awkward. I've subliminalized hitting the cancel button now, don't even think about it.

* I've never had a backfire, definitely ride spirited. I've heard 'em on another guy's bike with a Remus exhaust. Mine is an '07, no airbox upgrade, never had HI or BBS either.

* Try the stock seat in the low position. I'm 6'2" 34" inseam, and I found the low position more comfortable. In the high position the slope of the seat would seriously squish my man parts, it was better in the low setting. (I've since gotten a Corbin seat, much better.)

* I can't get the bike up onto the center stand with loaded bags and 50l topcase. My smuggler keeps me from getting my hand all the way around the passenger grab bar, which seriously reduces my leverage. But the sidestand for me has been fine even with all that extra weight.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 2008, 3:23 pm

Nice write-up

And nice pictures - conjure up memories (remember, I used to live in ZH...)

After reading a lot about how the 2nd gen GT2 seats are so much better than the originals, I gave mine almost 9000 miles to "break in." It never did, and I went with Corbin as a replacement to both the rider and passenger seats. After about 1500 miles on the Corbin, I can safely say it's night and day. Daylong rides are no longer torturous in the arse department! Pricey, but I can highly recommend the Corbins.

-----
His: 2012 K1600GT
Hers: 2008 Buell Blast (for sale) & 2009 Ducati Monster 696

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode