Best way to get to parking light wire for relay trigger - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 8:28 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Best way to get to parking light wire for relay trigger

What is the best way to get access to the parking light wiring so I can trigger my relay that is driving my Centech. I am currently using the canbus accessory plug wiring but I'm not sure I like the poweroff delay. How much tupperware do I need to remove to get access, or is there some double-secret way to get in through a trapdoor?

Thanks,

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 9:03 pm

I'm using this. No disruption to CANBUS and relatively easy to install.

Bud
2006 K1200GT - Graphite
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 9:34 pm
The Gov

On the GT, you can get to the parking lights on either side via the turning singal. Remove the signal, from underneath, pull the parking light connector and you will be able to pass it up through the hole from the turning signal. Splice anyway you want that is clean, pass the connector back down and plug it back into the parking light and you are done. Then run your relay control wire anywhere you want to and you are done.

Phil Space
Springfield, VA
2007 K1200GT the road beast
2009 F800GS - My little adventure bike.
2007 F800ST - Her's, but I can ride it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 9:58 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Thanks to both posters above, this is exactly what I was looking for.

@gc916> I bought this today at the dealer.
http://motogear4you.com/catalog/prod...e59312cea0a3e2

@philspace> I know there had to be a way in without a tupperware party, thanks!

I tried this and two issues:

When I attempted to plug the flat (mini-PC board end of the device into the light socket I only got an intermittent connection, which went in and out as the wires flexed, and I don't want that happening to my relay controlled circuits. Also the parking light on the 2008 GT with Zenon headlight is on the end of a long (2") stalk that inserts into the headlight casing. The supplied adapter by electricalconnection does not provide this length to project the bulb far enough into the headlight.

So, I think I will just tap into the wire that supplies the parking light with a traditional splice and be done with it. I just don't trust this connectors integrity.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

Last edited by lhendrick; Jul 23rd, 2008 at 11:46 pm.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 10:57 pm
Strafist

Be sure to read CANBUS 101 in the Hall of Wisdom.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2008, 11:43 am
Noob

I performed the same surgery you are struggling with. From your description it sounds like they sold you the wrong pigtail. Same thing happened to me. The one you have goes on an RT(which has a shorter "stalk"). When I returned mine - with the description of the issue, they exchanged it for the GT pigtail (which has the longer "stalk" They are not the same). From there it was merely plug and play. I used the running light, not the turn signal for my tap. Pulled the left side tupperware so I could route wires and tie off the long PIAA wire leads. Viola - works like a charm. Running PIAA 1100X using a front fender mount. If you do the same, be aware the mounting bolts they supply are the wrong size. Too small. Had to replace those and I now have very bright auxillary lights to supplement the headlight.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2008, 12:52 pm Thread Starter
Addict

thanks that seems to be the problem I'll go back and get the right one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode