Undocumented feature? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2008, 9:17 am Thread Starter
Addict

Undocumented feature?

Did you know that if you ride in really, really heavy rain for a really, really long time that the grip heaters get really, really hot?

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'06 K1200GT - the new kid in town
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2008, 9:30 am
Enthusiast

My grip heaters get really really hot in any conditions in about 10 minutes and I have to turn it to low before my hands get really really burnt. They are really a bit too cool on low too but they are far too hot on high. They warm your hands up pretty quickly though.

By the way, Doug, what do you think of the GT compared with the Concours (GTR1000)? It was the only bike I could find that had most of the good points about the Concours with a few improvements. Surprisingly enough, apart from the age of my GTR1000 and about 300,000km, it was probably better than the GT for what I use the bike for every day and I had to think hard and get the right deal to decide to replace it.

It had better weather protection, better screen (Cee Bailey), could ride with visor open in quietness, same gearing apart from a useful lower first gear for town use, plenty of power, adequate brakes and suspension, similar seat comfort and bar reach with raised bars, beautiful and warm in winter but roasting hot in summer, better shaped panniers for practical use, better fuel range and able to use the lowest octane fuel, perfect gear box and final drive, great longevity and mine cost $4000 for 2 years and 45,000km of trouble free riding. I got $3000 when I sold it.

BMW has more power, much less vibration through grips but more through seat and pegs, fantastic suspension and brakes, stiff frame with no hinge in the middle, some extra goodies such as ESA, Cruise Control etc and cost me $24000 more. Apart from that the GTR was better or at least as good.

Bob

2007 K1200GT Graphite
Ex 1986 Kawasaki GTR1000

Last edited by BobD; Jul 26th, 2008 at 9:49 am.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2008, 9:40 am Thread Starter
Addict

That would be good if it was cold, but 75F isn't cold and I couldn't turn them off - even after I shut the bike off and restarted it. Only after several miles after the rain stopped did they cool down.

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2008, 9:52 am
Enthusiast

Never had that problem. Must be a short in the switch. I just added some more to my post asking you about your Concours if you care to reread it. You were too quick to reply!!

Bob

2007 K1200GT Graphite
Ex 1986 Kawasaki GTR1000
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2008, 1:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsdad
Did you know that if you ride in really, really heavy rain for a really, really long time that the grip heaters get really, really hot?
I had exactly the same experience after about 5 hours in driving rain through Oregon. I think that the reason is pretty simple. Some part of the gloves gets saturated with moisture and they lose their thermal insulating properties. This allows the heat to more effectively conduct to your hands. Just as a soaked glove will allow your hand to get colder by conducting heat away (when skiing, for example), it allows more heat to conduct to your hands from the grips in this instance. I was absolutely startled how hot the grips would feel after a short time, even on low, and I had to turn them on and off as I rode. I've since bought me a good pair of GoreTex waterproof gloves for this occasion.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2008, 3:43 pm
Rookie

Undocumented feature

HOT heated grips...hmmm....Right, no fun 75 and above! But just completed a run in early July on my '06 CGM and they were very needed and not needed in a 4 hour period. Heading North out of Woodstock, NB early a.m. was 78 deg. A few hours later at Riviere du Loup it had dropped to 62 deg. and moderate - heavy rain for the next 3 hours to Quebec. This is why I love my HOT grips and Aerostich lobster claws in Canada! This what the GT is all about...going in all weathers!

NuKGT
'06 K1200 GT
CGM...One Fast Colour!!!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2008, 4:04 pm

Hmmmm. I'd say short but Canbus would have shut it down. I'm in the "wet glove" camp now. That's a good theory. You could try to duplicate the problem minus the rain. Soak your gloves, then fire up the bike and grip heaters and hold on, see what happens. Same superheat? Gloves, not a short.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2008, 5:51 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Well, folks, if the switch had been ON I could understand the heat, but the switch was OFF. And no matter how much I toggled it, the heat was there.

Bob, the GT is the perfect marriage of the Connie and my old LT. This could possibly the best bike I've had. It does everything I want with tons more comfort than the Connie, and plenty of power. I used to think the Connie had all the power I needed. I am so spoiled now!

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2008, 8:29 pm

Doug,
I know what you are talking about. The switch is off and yet the grips are heated. Happened to me twice now. Only in heavy rain. On mine the icon showed up on the computer. I cycled the switch on and off and this fixed it for awhile. I am sure the switch is getting shorted out by the rain. No big deal here since the rain is almost always cold. let your dealer know.

Brian Ley
2007 GT
2010 650GS
2000 LT sold but not forgotten
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 2008, 2:53 am
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsdad
Others have also reported the grip heaters coming on even when the switch is off. Report it to your dealer and see what they have to say.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode