Aux Light Mounts or HID's in the High Beams - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 2008, 2:41 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Aux Light Mounts or HID's in the High Beams

I am looking for a source for Aux Driving Light mounts for a 2008 GT. I run a lot at night and want the road lit up way out in front.

I have seen the under the under the nose setup for PIAA's and that will not work for larger HID Driving lights.

Has anyone on here made a set of mounts up?

I have Jeff Earl's photos for his IBR GT but before I copy Jeff's design I wondered if anything else was available.

Alternatively, I am considering replacing the stock hi beams with HID's . Has anyone had success with that modification

I expect I may have some Canbus issues to deal with in a neat and tidy fashion.

Many thanks

Bill in Vancouver
2008 GT
2007 KTM 990
IBA #310
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 2008, 3:00 pm
Addict

i have seen xenon installed on an rt, light was very good. some xenon kit manufacturers are doing something so canbus will see no difference and show no error. i have factory xenon on the bike and light is good.

2010 R1200RT
2009 X6
2010 X1
former and future k owner
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 2008, 4:18 pm
Addict

I've got a HIDded main beam and a pair of 4" driving lights mounted under the oil cooler on my KRS. I have tried the auxes in different switch arrangements both as daytime riding lights and Night time main.

You have to think about a few things:

4" lamps are huge and may hit the front fender when the bike is fully loaded or hits road holes. 3" round or rectangular is more viable.

The light output from a pair of 35 watt HID auxiliaries is huge and the lamp units may not give a tight enough beam pattern to be able to use them with low beam. If your night riding is on fairly quiet roads where there is little oncoming, then you can aim them as fill for the main (which is very narrow) and get a lot of use. However if you keep having to dip to low beam then there is a short time for HIDs to reach full brightness when switching back to main. CANBUS isn't an issue for auxes wired via relays direct to the battery. It might be for a main conversion.

A main beam conversion is much more tricky than a low beam.

If your bike is fully loaded under the front cockpit plastic with screen motor etc, you may struggle to find space for 3 HID ballasts.

There may be legality issues if you worry about that sort of thing.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 2008, 5:13 pm

Exclamation It has been tried

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderhound5
Alternatively, I am considering replacing the stock hi beams with HID's . Has anyone had success with that modification
Study this link, you will find your the answer!
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=13397
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2008, 2:40 am
IBR# 366

The short answer is give me a week or two.

You can see my custom driving light mount here:

Those are Philips HIDs on it. The lights do bounce a little too much. I've figured out how to add a support bracket to minimize that, but haven't had the chance yet. But they're great deer-catchers and if they're aimed right they can stay on full time on divided highways or twisty mountain roads.

I'm also in the middle of making a set of mirror mount brackets. These will be very heavy-duty, as the 4" HIDs I'm putting up there are heavy. I should have them finished this week, as I'm off on a 10K-miles ride in August. And I will be keeping my patterns so that I can have more made later.

I haven't installed my CQLight high beam HIDs yet, but I hope to do that this week as well. Basically what I found is that the CanBus assumes that you don't need "high" beams when stopped or moving slowly, so it limits the voltage to 9-10 Vdc which isn't enough to reliably trigger the HIDs. Once you're at speed, the high beams come on full voltage and they will operate HIDs just fine.

I also have to finish my fuel cell mount, move the V1, and hook up the second GPS so it's going to be a busy week.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Last edited by Meese; Jul 28th, 2008 at 2:48 am.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2008, 7:48 am

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
Basically what I found is that the CanBus assumes that you don't need "high" beams when stopped or moving slowly, so it limits the voltage to 9-10 Vdc which isn't enough to reliably trigger the HIDs. Once you're at speed, the high beams come on full voltage and they will operate HIDs just fine.
Ken,
So your saying that last night as I idled up the driveway, my low beam (CQ HID) and high beams (SilverStars) were on but the highs were only running at 9-10 volts? Interesting!
How did you manage to figure that out?
Thanks
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2008, 8:06 am Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese

I'm also in the middle of making a set of mirror mount brackets. These will be very heavy-duty, as the 4" HIDs I'm putting up there are heavy. I should have them finished this week, as I'm off on a 10K-miles ride in August. And I will be keeping my patterns so that I can have more made later.

I also have to finish my fuel cell mount, move the V1, and hook up the second GPS so it's going to be a busy week.
Hi Ken,

Good luck in Spank.

Susan and I will see you at the Banquet. Maybe we can talk during the National Meet at a break on the mirror mounts. Of course I will want a set if you are making a few pairs.

I knew if I waited long enough that someone would come to the surface who knew what I was looking for. I was hoping to mount my PIAA 600's (proven Moose Detectors ) what were you planning on mounting on the mirror mounts? Soltecs, FF 200's or just moving the PHID's up top?

Regards, and ride safe.

Bill in Vancouver
2008 GT
2007 KTM 990
IBA #310
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2008, 9:18 am
Veteran

Hey Meese, that looks like an interesting option to road side assistance you're carrying. Did you actually put a ton of miles on with it sticking out like that? Looks like it would rip right off.

And 10k huh? Headed to MT?

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2008, 5:04 pm
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_W
Hey Meese, that looks like an interesting option to road side assistance you're carrying. Did you actually put a ton of miles on with it sticking out like that? Looks like it would rip right off.
Haven't you heard? That's BMW's factory solution to the EWS/Final Drive/BBS issues. When the GT fails, simply drop the bike off the back and be on your way.

Actually, I found that bike laying in the middle of the road in Idaho. It was still locked to the broken bike mount. I was gonna just pull it off to the shoulder, but then I noticed that it was a nice bike with some $$ components. That's why I always carry a bungee net.

It survived the ride back to Oregon no problem. After some wheel-truing and some shifter/brake adjustments, it rides just fine. Now if I was taking it through California, I would have strapped it on vertical/sideways so that I could still split lanes. BTDT before.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2008, 5:46 pm
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderhound5
what were you planning on mounting on the mirror mounts? Soltecs, FF 200's or just moving the PHID's up top?
The mirror mounts will be sturdy enough to handle the 4-lb. Solteks. I don't wanna just see the deer, I wanna BBQ them.

And yes, I'll have patterns so I can make more. Depending on interest, I may just farm that out to a local shop so they'll be all consistent and pretty and powder-coated.

Not sure yet if I'm gonna keep the PHIDs down low, or replace them with some FF50 driving or fog lights. I think perhaps 7 HIDs is a bit overkill, though I'm sure it would make a few FJR riders jealous. Gotta love that huge BMW alternator.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode