Looking at a couple GTs - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 2008, 11:01 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Looking at a couple GTs

I have a K75S now, am looking to buy or trade for a 07 K1200GT.

Option #1 used 07, less than 1000 miles, about 2 yrs warranty left. Besides the normal BMW option package they "all" seem to have, this one has a larger aftermarket windshield, peg lowering (brackets?), and handlebar pullbacks. Previous owner about 6'2, I am only 5'9, so I might not need any of this though. Why would a bigger guy put pullbacks on? Especially with adjustable bars?

Option 2 is a NEW left over 07 with of course new 3 yr warranty. Price is about a grand higher than the used 1000 miler.

Only think heavy on my mind is if I pull the trigger on this, will I really trade or sell my K75?? I bought it new (1987). Tough choice. Oh well, am trying a roadtest on these GTs this week, will have to make a decision soon but not for a few days anyways.

Dealer says I can ride both of them to compare the two.

Have heard many opinions either way on the GT. Would you buy yours again? How is the weather protection especially in cold weather? Those heated seats really do anything for ya? My K75 has heated grips and yeah those are nice to have!

Gilly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2008, 3:03 am
IBR# 366

If my '07 was crashed or stolen today (both highly unlikely) I'd buy another one tomorrow.

Even at 6' and 34" inseam I added the bar risers and AeroFlow windshield and AeroGards because I really wanted a K1200RT. Some guys like the smaller, sportier windshields so it's really a personal preference thing. I had the peg extenders on it but pulled them off when it became way too easy to drag the pegs in the corners.

The heated seats and grips work great. I'm guessing you're in Wisconsin, so I'd still go with a heated jacket liner and probably pants to extend your riding season.

If it was my choice, I'd probably get the leftover '07 for $1K more.

And keep the K75S or you'll regret it . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2008, 5:40 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
If it was my choice, I'd probably get the leftover '07 for $1K more.

And keep the K75S or you'll regret it . . .
Agree with Meese, sounds like a no-brainer to me.
Bust the dealer by $500 if you can but if not, take the new bike for such a small difference.
For what you might get for your K75, keep it if you can.

Black stuff down, Shiny side up!______________________________
10 R1200RTSE
02 R1100S
07 K1200GT R.I.P.
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2008, 6:57 am
Veteran

Buy the new one and see if you can get the 600 mile svc thrown in for free. That extra year of warranty could almost be priceless.

07 BMW K1200 S (cosmic blue/titan silver)
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2008, 12:57 pm

Play one against the other, but the used bike needs to be much cheaper. About 85% of new one to be equal value.

Terry

2007 K1200 GT
1998 R1100 RT traded in
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2008, 1:42 pm
Addict

Would I buy mine again? Oh, hell, yeah! And I kept my '86 Connie that I've had since '89.

For the price difference, I'd opt for the new one with full warranty. And keep your K75.

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'06 K1200GT - the new kid in town
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2008, 3:37 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Thanks for the replies.

Only hesitation I have in keeping it (the brick) is the WIFE (sorry) says if I keep it, it comes off the road. I do have a nice new shed w/concrete floor I can keep it in.
I suppose if the GT ends up being my every desire and I don't even think about the K75 I could sell it then, like in the spring when it's a sellers market, or in a number of years if it would happen to go up. I could see it being more valuable later on, similar to the R90S.

I can ride both of them so I can see if I would want the lowered pegs or higher windshield. Does bar-backs on a bike owned by a tall guy even make sense? I thought that was for smaller riders?

Gilly
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2008, 4:27 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillyWI
I have a K75S now, am looking to buy or trade for a 07 K1200GT.

Option #1 used 07, less than 1000 miles, about 2 yrs warranty left. Besides the normal BMW option package they "all" seem to have, this one has a larger aftermarket windshield, peg lowering (brackets?), and handlebar pullbacks. Previous owner about 6'2, I am only 5'9, so I might not need any of this though. Why would a bigger guy put pullbacks on? Especially with adjustable bars?

Option 2 is a NEW left over 07 with of course new 3 yr warranty. Price is about a grand higher than the used 1000 miler.

Gilly
Considering the total depreciated value of each bike. Option #2 is actually cheaper.
You can also buy an extended warranty(and you might have 12 additional mos. to decide to purchase it) with greater coverage on the new bike for the same price as an extended warranty with less coverage on the used one.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST

Last edited by brucecha; Jul 28th, 2008 at 4:33 pm.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2008, 4:43 pm
Would rather be riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillyWI
Option #1 used 07, less than 1000 miles, about 2 yrs warranty left.

Option 2 is a NEW left over 07 with of course new 3 yr warranty.
Option #3: this one: http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15038 I have an '07 with the same options package, and I really like it. TPM is handy, ASC works, and the Xenon headlight is bright bright bright. It's not even that far away from you...

IMHO you should take the test rides, even if you don't buy a bike from that dealer -- you can try the peg lowering and bar spacer options firsthand, which should save you some agonizing over farkle decisions later. As to why a big guy might want bar spacers -- probably wants to sit more upright, maybe he's traded in the GT on an RT or LT that better suits what he wanted the bike for, that's not uncommon.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2008, 9:12 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Bob
The dealer has a new one for less. Only thing I don't know is if that one has ASC and TPM, aren't those the "abnormal" options? Everything else he has listed I think is what we are more or less forced to take on in the US market. Even though it's an option pkg, you can't get them to sell you one without that package.

Yes, I am planning on riding both of them, as you say so i can try out those add-ons first hand and see if I might want to consider them if I do buy the new one (which is the way I am leaning). However the used one might be tempting if I do like the add-ons, and the dealer is sweetening the deal by dropping the price if i ave no trade-in. I have to ask if the first service has been done on the used one, that's worht a couple hundred too, right? Or as someone suggested I can try talking him in to a free first service, or if he doesn't bite on that maybe 50% off on the service?

Gilly

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode