Givi Maxia Topcase...any experience? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2008, 6:10 pm Thread Starter
TJD
Rookie

Givi Maxia Topcase...any experience?

Hey all - Was considering this case for my '07 GT but was surprised by the cost, once you add a rack adapter, backrest, etc. Anyone have any experience with it? Is it worth the dough? I'll probably only use it a couple times per year and thought it would be a better value than the Beemer case.

Thanks,
T

TJD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2008, 6:25 pm
Veteran

I bought a Givi 460 topcase for my KS. I bought the case from http://www.rlmotorcycles.com/cgi-bin/eShop/index.cgi because the price, especially shipping, was very good. I bought the mount from someone on one of the bmw sites. Installation was easy and my all black case does not look odd on the KS. It goes on and comes off easily and it will hold two full-face helmets when laid on their sides. I didn't run into any rain on the 600 mile trip, but the case does seem to be waterproof. It is also sturdy enough for being made of plastic.
I'm not sure what other case you would use that would be any better than the Givi for the cost.

07 BMW K1200 S (cosmic blue/titan silver)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2008, 8:27 am
Enthusiast

I don't have the Maxia, but I do have the V46 and it's one of the best puchases I've made for riding. I thought it would be something I would use occassionally but I leave it on the bike all the time now because it's so handy to put anything I want to carry in it compared to the side cases. The construction is first rate also. The Maxia, like my V46 is made for motorcycle use unlike some of the Givi line which is intended for scooter use (difference being in the strength of materials I believe).

'03 K1200GT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2008, 1:19 pm
Noob

IMHO, if you can put your hands on a BMW 49 liter case, get that!
I used the following top cases which I list in order of preference:
BMW 49 liter
Givi
Hepco-Becker
The BMW top case looks butt-ugly, but is the sturdiest of all, comes complete with the backrest, installs in seconds, and holds firmly.
The Givi is OK construction, but I was never happy with its locking mechanism.
The Hepco-Becker was my least favorite.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2008, 8:28 pm Thread Starter
TJD
Rookie

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback guys. I ended up going with the small BMW topcase. I couldn't find the givi in stock anywhere and after looking at the beemer case, I thought it worth the extra $100. I really only need it as a backstop for the wife for the rare occasion we ride two up anyway.

T

TJD
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2008, 9:04 am

I put the Givi V46 on my 06 GT and it works great, no wobble at high speeds and my wife loves the back rest. I had to buy the RT base plate but it fit just fine. I found the cheapest place was the link posted earlier. The V46 has A-LOT of room easily to fit 2 helmet. Givi has some other color covers if you don't like the silver but it matches the BMW light silver on my bike almost perfect.
Good Luck.

12' R1200GS Rallye
08' K1200GT (traded)
06' Audi A4 3.2Q
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2008, 10:34 am
Addict

I bought the adapter plate for the RT and put it on my GT, then just transferred my old 42L Givi from my Connie to me GT. I can use it on either bike now.

I've had this case for about 8 yrs (maybe more) and it's held up well physically. Cosmetically, it's faded over time. It still locks down securely to the plate and locks with no issues.

I think the Givi's are a little more aerodynamic than the stock BMW 52L box. I really can't tell any difference with it off or on.

The onky thing I don't really like is how the adapter mounts to the BMW rack. I think that could be a lot cleaner looking.

EDIT: Not really a good shot, but I've added a pic of my '06 with the Givi.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RestBreak1.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	360.3 KB
ID:	8541  

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'06 K1200GT - the new kid in town
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX

Last edited by dwsdad; Aug 1st, 2008 at 10:50 am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode