which windshield to use? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2008, 5:11 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

which windshield to use?

I am leaving on a trip from Minneapolis to north of Seattle in a few days. I expect I will be running into some stiff winds in Montana and the Dakota's. I am wondering which windshield I should use. I have a Cee Bailey +4/+2 and the original BMW shield that I believe is standard height. Would I notice much difference in handling in cross winds between these two windshields?

Rick
'09 K1300GT
Royal Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2008, 5:39 pm
Addict

I had a CB +4 +2, er maybe it was a bit bigger. It was the thinner plastic, I have hear they are making them thicker now. I hit a 40 mph headwind going about 100 and it cracked. If you choose the CB make sure its the thicker material.

2008 R 1200 GS ADV
2007 K 1200 GT Graphite
98 HD Sportster 1200C [Sold] (Mistake)
Various dirt bikes in my youth.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2008, 7:02 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

if I put a micrometer on the Cee Bailey, what would the thicker version mic?? I am not sure what model I have.
Thanks
Rick

Rick
'09 K1300GT
Royal Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 2008, 5:18 am
Addict

aeroflow is the best but it cracks at about 200-220km/h.

2010 R1200RT
2009 X6
2010 X1
former and future k owner
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 2008, 5:56 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT1200
I am leaving on a trip from Minneapolis to north of Seattle in a few days. I expect I will be running into some stiff winds in Montana and the Dakota's. I am wondering which windshield I should use. I have a Cee Bailey +4/+2 and the original BMW shield that I believe is standard height. Would I notice much difference in handling in cross winds between these two windshields?
You shouldnt notice much difference in either cross winds or handling. The amount of tupperware on these GTs pick up plenty of windage with or without a screen and they still handle superbly as you know.
When im kitted with panniers and the 49ltr top box I get plenty of side movement in strong cross winds.
You dont say how tall you are but I am 6' tall and i run the CB 2+/2+. Ive run it up to 240ks (145mph) and no cracking, shakes or wobbles.
I find at highway speeds I only need it up about 75% to remove almost all buffeting and wind noise, I also ride with the bars in the full up position. The only time I have it fully deployed is in heavy rain. Set up like this I get to look about 3 inches above the top of the screen with good protection so depending on how tall you are you may not even need to deploy the screen much at all with the +4.
If you go onto the Cee Bailey site it will give you measurements from the bottom centre of your screen to the top for the stock screen. I think its about 22.5 or 23inches, something like that so that will tell you if your other screen is stock,tall or short.
Ride safe and enjoy the trip.
P.S. the CB website will also give you thickness specs so you will know if you have the later built thicker screen.

Black stuff down, Shiny side up!______________________________
10 R1200RTSE
02 R1100S
07 K1200GT R.I.P.
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 2008, 7:14 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT1200
if I put a micrometer on the Cee Bailey, what would the thicker version mic?
I want to say the thicker is about 1/4" and the thinner was 3/16". Doesn't seem like much, but you can really see the difference in the flexing in the wind of the thinner shield. I have the thin one now (but using the Aeroflow on the bike presently and it is also of the thinner variety) and it whips around pretty good in the wind. The first one was the thicker one, but it shattered when someone got nervy and knocked the bike over at a motel. It was at the time Cee-Bailey went into the "cheap" mode and saving a few bucks while putting out an inferior product after they intro'ed the heavy-weight DOT approved shield. Complaining to them fell on deaf ears much like Corbin - but supposedly they went back to the thicker shield (supposedly).

I doubt if you'll experience any control issues. More than likely a thin shield will crack somewhere around the mounting holes if the wind is bad enough.

Mack
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 2008, 9:11 am

I like my Aero Flow screen - no cracks yet done about 4000 miles and I like to get a move on.
Tried the Aero Guards - they are not so good as if any turbulence from Motorway traffic is around the bikes all over the place.
Dave

If it's not fun - your doing it wrong !!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 2008, 7:04 pm

I am an aeroflow fan. I have been up to 135 and no cracks yet.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 2008, 9:04 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Appreciate all the responses to my question on windshields. I decided on the CB +4/+2. Plan was to go from Minneapolis to Anacortes, Wa. in 3 days--stay one day--back in 3 days. First day out I got caught in severe thunderstorm, and had to pull off road for over an hour. Sun came out and it got HOT. I was riding with a full face black helmet and summer weight riding jacket. I was slowly cooking. Made it 450 miles and decided to spend the night and came home next day. With the days available that I had, I needed to make a good 600-700 per day. Bike ran terrific, but I just got too darn hot. I never even made it to the really hot part (wyoming and montana). Have since bought myself a WHITE arai vector, and am considering the T-shirt route again, although probably won't go that way again. I did the same trip two years ago on an LT. I had an open face helmet and t-shirt on that ride. Am I just a 58 year old puss? You really don't need to answer that.

Rick
'09 K1300GT
Royal Blue
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 2008, 3:47 am
Veteran

Maybe next year they'll add AC to the GT.....

Gilly

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode