best music reproducing wired headphones - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2008, 8:01 pm Thread Starter

best music reproducing wired headphones

any input on music reproducing quality of J&M elite series (wired) headphones?
have, ready to install, Baehr Ultima XL amp/preamp, garmin zumo 550 GPS with XM, and
an 8GB iPOD nano, running via wired headset (J&M Elite series). My question is this--
I have 2 pair of Sennheiser PX-200 home headsets that I could splice into (I hope--
the J&M helmet wiring has proprietary connectors that I would have to work around) the
remainder of the J&M wiring. I made a dry run with the Sennheisers inside my helmet
wired to an iPOD with excellent music reproduction (not quite enough volume, but the Baehr
will take care of that). It would be easier to connect the stock J&M headphones. Tech sup-
port at J&M is trying to convince me that their headphones would have BETTER music
reproduction (marketing hype?) because they are "engineered for this application"

Anyone have input/experience with the J&M headphones, particularly vs. good, home quality
haedphones-- the J&M headphones are about $90 a set vs. $45 a set for the Sennheisers.
Earplugs are not an option for me.

Much obliged
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2008, 8:51 pm

I run the zomo with 4 gig card and an other 8 gigs on the side , everything is connected to the autocomm ,I was getting good loop, hooked one of those pie filters all noise gone, to finish it off connected one of those new model boostaroo , they really make a difference, the stereo really gets separated nicely, and you get some type of 3d sound, a nice add on for around $40 At home I listen a set of Klipsh laScallas runnig them with a tube amp, up to today I can't see getting that kind of sound from any head set , even if it there good, not the same, besides running against the wind I don't expect home Quality, the set up I got works really nicely that's my 2 cents
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2008, 9:43 pm
Addict

With the acoustics of a helmet and the wind, I have found that the positioning of the speakers in the helmet so they are directly opposite your ear holes is more important than the quality of the speakers themselves. I use the Baehr supplied speakers with my Baehr Verso XL in a Shoei X11 helmet. The only better sound I have gotten is with a pair of in ear custom molded earplug speakers that I had made at the CCR Rally in Mo. last year. They are awesome, but I don't really llke using them unless I am looking at a multi-hour ride to make it worth putting in the plugs as they fit real tight. With them in, I can (and must) turn down the volume of all audio sources or risk deafness.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2008, 10:20 pm
Veteran

If you truly want good quality sound than you have to go with either in ear / noise canceling / blocking or custom molded in ear phones. It's just basic physics unless you're going to be sitting behind a barn door. I've done both in helmet and in ear. There is no comparison to in helmet headphones. They all suck.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2008, 12:53 am

Headphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edelfaule
have, ready to install, Baehr Ultima XL amp/preamp, garmin zumo 550 GPS with XM, and
an 8GB iPOD nano, running via wired headset (J&M Elite series). My question is this--
I have 2 pair of Sennheiser PX-200 home headsets that I could splice into (I hope--
the J&M helmet wiring has proprietary connectors that I would have to work around) the
remainder of the J&M wiring. I made a dry run with the Sennheisers inside my helmet
wired to an iPOD with excellent music reproduction (not quite enough volume, but the Baehr
will take care of that). It would be easier to connect the stock J&M headphones. Tech sup-
port at J&M is trying to convince me that their headphones would have BETTER music
reproduction (marketing hype?) because they are "engineered for this application"

Anyone have input/experience with the J&M headphones, particularly vs. good, home quality
haedphones-- the J&M headphones are about $90 a set vs. $45 a set for the Sennheisers.
Earplugs are not an option for me.

Much obliged
Etymotics

Cheers!

Todd
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2008, 6:40 am
Veteran

Etymotic ER6i in-ear phones for about $70 online would be the way to go. Headphones in a helmet never worked well for me. The ER6i solved two problems - need for good sound and blocking wind noise.

07 BMW K1200 S (cosmic blue/titan silver)
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2008, 10:11 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_W
If you truly want good quality sound than you have to go with either in ear / noise canceling / blocking or custom molded in ear phones. It's just basic physics unless you're going to be sitting behind a barn door. I've done both in helmet and in ear. There is no comparison to in helmet headphones. They all suck.
Were the in ears Ultimate Ears? If so, which model? Did you have any trouble getting used to them? I'm getting a pair in a week or so. Will report.

Guy Howard
K12LT 05 (sold)
K12GT 07 - build 12/06 BMSK-P ECU (ASC retrofit), V.3 airbox, new o2 sensor @18k, PowerFrk module @25k
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2008, 10:42 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by howfly
Were the in ears Ultimate Ears? If so, which model? Did you have any trouble getting used to them? I'm getting a pair in a week or so. Will report.
The UE model that I want cost like 1000 bucks or something. So not yet any way. So far the best I've done is a $200 pair of shures. But they are still light years ahead of anything in helmet.

Looking forward to reading what you think of them. I would think that they would be outstanding given that it's pretty much exactly what they are designed for. Let us know.

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2008, 3:56 pm
Would rather be riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edelfaule
No experience. I've tried a lot of different setups for music. I recently replaced my Autocom headphones with titanium drivers pulled out of a set of Koss headphones for a very good result, search on bmwlt.com and you'll find more on that.

I'll agree that an in-the-ear solution is going to be best for music. Any helmet system (I've tried at least 5) is going to lose out because not only is it farther from your ear but it will have to work through your earplugs.

Unfortunately in-the-ear music solutions are now against the law in California, so rather than tempt fate I've gone back to helmet speakers. The Koss solution is pretty good -- it's at least loud enough to hear at speed, though I do get some distortion when the volume is cranked all the way up.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2008, 6:04 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonafidebob
Unfortunately in-the-ear music solutions are now against the law in California, so rather than tempt fate I've gone back to helmet speakers. The Koss solution is pretty good -- it's at least loud enough to hear at speed, though I do get some distortion when the volume is cranked all the way up.
What? So how do they enforce it? And how come when I got pulled over this spring with the wire sticking out of my helmet didn't the CHP say a word about it? I even told the guy that I didn't notice him because I was adjusting the tunes on my Zumo. And how the hell can they say that without banning ear plugs period. My in ear phones cancel out the same db as a pair of foam ear plugs. Roughly 30db give or take. Now freaking bleeding heart left wing liberal CA is going to tell you that you need to ruin your hearing and go deaf? I thought they always new best and were supposed to protect us all!

More laws please.....yea yea yea....just what we need....more laws......

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode