GT Best Stability when Parked: Center or Side Stand - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2008, 10:56 am Thread Starter
Veteran

GT Best Stability when Parked: Center or Side Stand

We had a little "wake-up" earthquake here. The tupperware is expensive to fix or replace.

Which is the best way to park a GT, so that it is least likely to get knocked down in a moderate earthquake?

Center stand?
Side stand in 1st gear?
Side stand in neutral?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2008, 11:06 am
Veteran

I suppose a a move to the mid west is out of the question?

Seriously though, short of having it tied down and on a concrete slab with rubber shock absorbers and nothing around to fall on it, ....if it was a bad enough quake would it make a difference? What would happen it a 7.0?

Moderate quake though I would think side in first gear. 3 points of contact with lean seem to make sense.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2008, 11:10 am

Read about that tremor over there. People might be gettin' a bit nervous

Based on my past experience with motorcicles (sic) YMMV

1) Centre stand for me.
The amount of weight you have to throw forward to get it off the mainstand is considerable. If you are somewhere where that amount of acceleration is being experienced through an earthquake, you will have bigger troubles to deal with than the tupperware on your bike...

2) Side stand in gear. Safest on anything other than flat. Important is the orientation of the bike WRT the lie of the land as it were.

3) Never on side stand in neutral. Had a few slowly roll off the stand as I walked away, and they were about 200kgs lighter...

Cheers,

Bloke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2008, 2:25 pm
Sooper Dooper Moderator

As a fellow victim of the earthquake, I was thinking along those lines myself. When my wife got home from South Coast Plaza (where she had been evacuated because of all the big plate glass windows), she called me to say the HUGE TV we had in a cabinet upstairs was lying face down on the floor, my first thought was about my GT on the centerstand in the garage. I tend to think if the quake made the bike wobble from side to side, it would fall fairly easily. But it was still upright. I put the bike on the sidestand and in first gear. I'm of the opinion that sidestand/first gear is more stable than on the centerstand.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2008, 3:43 pm
Would rather be riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
Which is the best way to park a GT, so that it is least likely to get knocked down in a moderate earthquake?
IMHO side stand in gear is the most stable parking configuration for any/all needs.
The centerstand is great to save space or work on the bike, but it's inherently less stable than the sidestand. The center of gravity is closer to the edges of the center stand than it is to the wheels or sidestand when leaned over.

An earthquake only makes the center stand worse, because if the side-to-side motion happens to be inline with the way the bike is parked it could move forward and down off the center stand, same as if you pushed the bike from behind.

But don't take my word for it, do an experiment. Get a buddy to help keep the bike up and then try pushing it over from all 4 sides in both the centerstand and sidestand+gear configurations. This should make it pretty obvious.

Oh, and I'm in San Diego right now for a development conference, and we felt the earthquake all the way down here. Nothing like sitting under a huge glass chandelier during an earthquake!! I remember saying to my friend "I wonder if LA just fell into the ocean..."

Last edited by bonafidebob; Jul 30th, 2008 at 3:49 pm.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2008, 3:52 pm
Enthusiast

stand

all of my bikes where on the center stands and all did not move.

WOOLF
99 R1100S BLACK
02K1200RS BLACK
Iron Butt Member
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2008, 5:08 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Thank you for sharing your opinions about side versus center stand. Keep 'em coming.

I was at work when the earthquake hit. We are 7 miles (11.5 km) from the epicenter, on the top floor of a 3 story building. There was a very strong jolt, several smaller jolts, and a lot of rocking back and forth. Imagine a room with a floor on smooth rollers, with a giant machine shifting the entire floor forcefully and firmly one or two feet left and then right, once or twice a second, for approximately 10-20 seconds. That's what it felt like to me.

The building swayed a lot. It is hard to explain, but it felt like the joints in the walls between floors were "hinged" a little. There are cracks along the full length of the stairway, horizontally between floors, and a few other places in the building. They appear to be cracks in the paint and not structural, but I am not an expert. In our office, a 20 inch CRT computer monitor was ejected from a lab bench onto the floor. Various shelf contents were ejected. Large racks of computers were moved one or two feet from their original positions, but not toppled (thank goodness!). To my surprise, several of the three-drawer horizontal file cabinets had multiple drawers out at the same time. Somehow the quake had "popped" the drawers past their stops. One person had a stereo with separate speakers fall on them from a high shelf. Ouch. Bad placement. Nobody was seriously hurt. An office memo went out from the safety committee yesterday afternoon, reminding people not to put objects on top of the high bookcases. Duh-uh.

Home is 16 miles (26 km) from the epicenter. We got home to find all the kitchen cabinets flung open and many drawers were out, but the contents were still in place. Most of my wife's delicate stuff on display is held down with "quake hold" but many other items had moved. A few small things were on the floor, but the furniture was in place, and nothing was broken.

My youngest son's room is well prepared. It always looks as if the "big one" has hit, so we couldn't tell if anything happened there.

I commute nearly every day on my GT, but due to special circumstances, I left the GT at home that day. The GT was in 1st gear on the side stand and was standing in the same position when I got home late in the afternoon. I agree that a big enough earthquake will topple the GT. In that event, I hope that it doesn't topple our house or the building where I work.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2008, 5:27 pm
Rookie

side stand

NEVER in neutral on the side stand..
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2008, 7:19 pm
Addict

NEVER on a side stand, period, for any reason. EVER.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2008, 7:28 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahma
NEVER on a side stand, period, for any reason. EVER.
Why?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode