What is the best ESA setting for - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2008, 11:28 am Thread Starter
I'm riding

What is the best ESA setting for

solo ride without panniers/side cases but with the large top case and OEM Silver bag/"sausage"/?
I ride solo with "one helmet" ESA mode as my better half rides her FST and I Use normal mode. But on the road "waves" I think the bike is jumping like a ball. Well, not exactly, but for sure it's "sailing" a bit. Shall I set "two helmet" mode as there are no side cases with me?
And another question - during upshifting the bike dives now and I feel slight waving motion from the nose to the tail. Same motion is present on acceleration. And on decceleration as well. The bike has 52000 km on the clock. Maybe again the tyres/ Z6 not rated for KGT/?
But diving is not related to the tyres, I believe.

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'07 F800ST Blue - wife's(sold)
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's

Last edited by easyman05; Jul 30th, 2008 at 11:39 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2008, 1:15 pm
IBR# 366

Shocks do wear out over time. I usually run one helmet, but have been using helmet + luggage recently, or two helmets if I'm solo but loaded. That helps some.

I don't notice the handling issues as much, but short, sharp bumps (like a driveway entrance) are more jarring than they used to be.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2008, 2:25 pm
Addict

I think that it all depends on your weight and what makes you comfortable. I'm 6'5 240 lbs. and I ride 1 helmet normal (comfort, if on a long boring road). When loaded I usually set it on 1 helmet + and on normal. I have never had it on 2 helmets. I try to set it up somewhere between a "mushy" ride and feeling every little pebble in the road.

James
Central Texas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2008, 2:37 pm
Would rather be riding

6'2" 240lbs here. I use solo+bag most of the time, though lately I've gone back to solo to compare the softer preload. I switch between comfort/normal/sport depending on road conditions. Normal for freeways, comfort for bumpy backroads, and sport for good twisties.

On my last fully loaded trip (both sidecases, topcase, and smuggler loaded) I ran in the 2-up setting. The luggage was probably around 80lbs, which I figure when added with my gut pretty much equals a 2nd rider.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2008, 4:14 pm
Veteran

I just asked a similar question on another thread. Since you are talking about it; I am buying an 07 GT soon. I just rode it yesterday. How do you set the "weight" on the ESA? It was easy to set the dampening while driving but damned if I could get the weight setting to change. When I get the bike of course I'll have a manual. Dealer was trying to tell me this was automatically done on startup.

Gilly
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2008, 6:38 pm
Addict

It's based on weight- my comments from an earlier post:
------------
The specs are in the manual for gross weight and maximum payload. Max payload is 238 kg or 524.691 pounds. The side bags are limited to 22 lbs as is the large topcase. I think technically, useable fuel should be calculated as payload as well, not reserve fuel, oil or water.

Large top case= 22 pounds
Both side bags= 44 pounds
Full "useable" fuel = 6.342 gal * 6 pounds= 38.052 pounds
Total sub-payload w/o riders= 104.052 pounds

Max payload (524.691) - Total sub-payload (104.052) = * 420.639 pounds for riders and other accessories...

Just like weight and balance in an aircraft, this motorcycle is based on some fixed weight limits. Mix and match your luggage and your fat or skinny self and/or pillion, the ESA doesn't care or KNOW how you've broken it down, but the weight limits and available "useful load" of the bike tells the story. It's up to you to split it up by setting the ESA to the closest matching settings. If you exceed the weight limits- that's your fault. If you are under, adjust ESA accordingly.
-------

As for 'comfort', 'normal' or 'sport', the crap roads in Ohio dictate a lot of 'comfort' time for me. 'Normal' I can do on most freeways, and 'sport' is for those 'special', high-speed moments...
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2008, 7:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillyWI
I just asked a similar question on another thread. Since you are talking about it; I am buying an 07 GT soon. I just rode it yesterday. How do you set the "weight" on the ESA? It was easy to set the dampening while driving but damned if I could get the weight setting to change. When I get the bike of course I'll have a manual. Dealer was trying to tell me this was automatically done on startup.

Gilly
As your dealer should have known, the weight (preload) settings must be done with the bike running, stopped and in neutral. Pressing the ESA button will then cycle between rider, rider+luggage & two up (presumably with luggage).

The GT seems to have softer spring rates in general than my K12S did, and the three damping modes are not as different from one another on the GT. Of course my K12S had 14K on it when I sold it, and I just bought the '06 GT with 29k on the clock. (not as much jingle in the pockets these days) I'm hoping the suspension isn't already in need of . . . . erm . . . . 'freshening' . . . . . . any thoughts?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2008, 8:19 pm
Veteran

So if I stop along the road, put it in neutral and push the ESA button, the little helmet icons should change, not the "sport normal comfort"? Or is it only changeable after you start the bike?

Gilly
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2008, 11:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillyWI
So if I stop along the road, put it in neutral and push the ESA button, the little helmet icons should change, not the "sport normal comfort"? Or is it only changeable after you start the bike?

Gilly
Tapping the button will change the "sport normal comfort" mode. Stopped and in neutral you should tap to enter the suspension setting mode then hold down the ESA button to change the helmets.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2008, 12:25 am Thread Starter
I'm riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahma
It's based on weight- my comments from an earlier post:
------------
T
Max payload (524.691) - Total sub-payload (104.052) = * 420.639 pounds for riders and other accessories...

Just like weight and balance in an aircraft, this motorcycle is based on some fixed weight limits. Mix and match your luggage and your fat or skinny self and/or pillion, the ESA doesn't care or KNOW how you've broken it down, but the weight limits and available "useful load" of the bike tells the story. It's up to you to split it up by setting the ESA to the closest matching settings. If you exceed the weight limits- that's your fault. If you are under, adjust ESA accordingly.
And the difference between "luggage" and "pillion" modes results in different height and harder spring only? The weight distribution must also count, imho. As the side bags are located lower and a bit forward than the pillion. I will try "two helmet" setting with "normal" mode - frankly speaking I do not like it as the bike becomes top-heavy in low speed parking and traffic filtering operations.

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'07 F800ST Blue - wife's(sold)
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode