Laminar Lip....my take.....FWIW. - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2008, 5:28 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Laminar Lip....my take.....FWIW.

We'll, put on a quick 100 miles or so this morning to test it out. And I got to say that for me anyway, it's the best solution that I have found. I hate the bigger shields as I don't like to look through them or deal with the sub par handling or barn door effect. As I have said before, I like the breeze and didn't want a Goldwing.

OK, so my observations on the Laminar Lip. I'm about 6'1" and am using the tall shield. I mounted it an 1 1/2" above the shield. So far I can verify that it holds on with the provided dual lock to about 120 mph for 15 seconds or so any way. It is a very windy day here through the mountain valleys so I had wind coming from all directions, and strong winds too. No rain with it yet but I don't know why it wouldn't direct it up and around me. If I get any kind of funky rain patters coming off the thing I'll post it.

I still look over the shield which was key.

Doesn't get in the way of any field of view.

Cross winds blowing hard weren't any worse than before. No effect on handling that was noticeable. (But weren't reduced either though it wasn't designed for that.)

Big Rigs and RV's nothing more noticeable than before in the handling.

Can adjust up or down so that I still have plenty of air flow when I need it. All the way up it's a barn door and I'm in pretty dead air with NO back pressure and barely looking over the top. All the way down and it's useless and it might as well not be there.

About middle seems perfect for me. Over all I would say that at normal riding speeds, anything from mid 30's up to 85-90 mph it does what it's supposed to do. (Above 90 or so there wasn't much difference from before.) Wind noise, (Shoei Multitec) is reduced by roughly 50+% and buffeting even more like 75% over the straight stock tall shield. I noticed I could lower the volume on the Zumo 1 bar from before and still here it just as well.

The bottom line is it's a good device at a decent cost. I don't really know it's there and it does what it should. One of the better farkles I've spent $$ on over the years.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2008, 7:02 pm

I use a Laminar Lip on my old "Brick" and it has been a great add-on for rider comfort. I am 5'11" - just tall enough for the wind to buffet my helmet around. With the Lip I am able to ride without getting my head rattled by the wind and still see just over the shield. I mounted the Lip right at the top of the windshield, but the turnout at the top of the Lip deflects the air flow perfectly. It's definitely a +1.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2008, 7:44 pm
Enthusiast

I had some heavy showers out of Amarillo coming home on my trip, and I was able to run 70 when most cars were running slower, the traction crossing the centerline in sweepers was more a concern than the visibility.

Bet it would be cool to put in a wind tunnel and move the mounts around to see the effect.

12 Super Tenere 1200 (coming soon)
10 MTS1200 standard (riding)
09 Monster 696 (wife's ride)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2008, 1:58 am
Enthusiast

Robert, I was waiting to hear of your experience with the "lip" before I purchased one... Being 6'2+" I was looking into getting something to increase the effiveness of my "tall" BMW standard shield and now you have made up my mind... What position do you have your seat in?

Gary
2007 K1200GT
Dark Graphite Grey
New Jersey-Don't Laugh!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2008, 9:13 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Seat is in the normal up position. You shouldn't have any trouble finding a good level for the screen. As you move the screen up and down through the range you'll go from full on blast O'air to quiet. Some where in there you'll like it.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode