Vertically Challenged - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2008, 7:56 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Exclamation Vertically Challenged

Being less than 5 foot 10 inches, with an inseam of 28 inches, forces me to use tip toes to touch the ground when stopping on my 2007 K1200 GT; unfortunately a big change from my prior bikes 26 inch seat hight.

Despite putting 8500 Km on this bike in the last few months of ownership, I find that I am not comfortable with stopping, even with the BMW lowered seat; I end up having to come forward to get both feet on the ground.
The result has been a few new scratches on the bike.

Is there an aftermarket lowered seat that is actually lower?

I need input from anyone with a simiilar problem, if you have solved it.

Thanks,

Peter
GTNewbie

GT Newbie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2008, 8:09 pm
Veteran

Low seat. See; http://www.bmw-riders-gear.com/BMWRA...1=&bplo=&bphi=

07 BMW K1200 S (cosmic blue/titan silver)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2008, 9:17 pm Thread Starter
Noob

GTNewbie

Already have the BMW "low" seat.

Peter

GT Newbie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2008, 9:28 pm
Veteran

Well I have a comment to make, sorry if it doesn't really zoom in on your actual physical "bike" problem. Here is a fix and I really want you to think about this.

First of all I was at one time an MSF instructor and gave the MIT (motorcycle in traffic) tests here in Wisconsin, just so you know I didn't just dream all this up.

What I have to say I think really can help you out, and others who have a height problem with BMW or any taller bike.

What I am recommending is that you ONLY put your left foot down, this will help you alot with an inseam problem. NOW a little background which may help you see the logic in driving this way, no matter what you drive.

First, with your foot on the right peg and the brake applied, at night if you are stopped say at a traffic light, the rear brake will be on, which might make a difference in someone noticing you sitting there.

Another reason that this is a good general technique is for stopping on a hill (up or down), you are now in the habit of holding the bike in place with the rear brake. This is good because you now don't have to try synchronizing between the throttle and front brake.

On a tall bike this habit of just putting down your left foot normally will help you in handling the stops better. I haven't been able to flat-foot both feet for over 20 years with my K75S with standard seats and has never been a problem.

Gilly
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2008, 11:54 pm
Enthusiast

I sort of agree with GillyWI, but I always put my right foot down and swap to the left foot if I need to take off on a hill. His idea with the left foot makes the most sense as a habit to get into, as long as you leave the bike in gear. However, rightly or wrongly I like to put it in to neutral to save my left wrist from doing so much work holding the clutch in.

The important thing is to make sure you get one foot firmly planted when stopping before doing anything else, so you don't drop the bike. After that you can try getting both feet down or swapping feet or whatever. The one priority is to get the most appropriate foot down to get stability before the bike goes beyond the point of no return.

Bob

2007 K1200GT Graphite
Ex 1986 Kawasaki GTR1000
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2008, 10:53 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillyWI
What I am recommending is that you ONLY put your left foot down, this will help you alot with an inseam problem. NOW a little background which may help you see the logic in driving this way, no matter what you drive.
+1

Standard procedure when I had a KTM Duke II. Absolutely no way for me to tippy toe both feet on that bike.

Just be careful if its really windy - may have to jab that right foot down in a hurry.

Mike

2011 T100 Bonneville Black
06 Black Griso
06 Yellow KR - SOLD
02 Z-Rex (Green of course)
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2008, 11:53 am
Enthusiast

Garage
Sargent makes a low seat which in the high position is the same as the BMW low seat in the low position. It is about 1" lower in the low position,

I have that 28" inseam and am OK with the standard seat in the low position with the left foot down etc.

What most of the guys miss when they say get used to the standard low seat is when the significant other gets onto the bike. If she is short and you have a top case she has to stand on the peg to get on the bike. No matter how good she is at getting onto the bike you always feel that movement and the have that though of the cost of plastic when the bike shifts to the right.

My wife says she just feels better getting on the bike now that I have the shorter seat.
Now if the damn thing would only breakin.

'07 K1200GT Crystal Gray Metalic
'00 Ducati 900 Monster
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2008, 5:31 pm
Rookie

I'm assuming you always keep the suspension set to "single rider, no luggage". Apart from that the only other thing I could suggest is taking some of the padding out of your low seat base, but I'd guess there would not be a lot in there to remove and it may make it even less comfortable.

I'm not being funny here, but have you tried boots with a bit of a "platform" - like a thicker sole to give you an extra half inch or so? My wife had to go that route, the only drawback is it makes it harder to get under the gear lever.

If your bike is new, you will probably find over time that the suspension "settles" a little - it may not be much, but it all helps.

Bill.

IBA No.28132
BMW K1200GT (2007)
BMW K1200S (2005)
Ducati 696 Monster (the Wife's)
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2008, 5:50 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thumbs up Vertically challenged

Thanks to all for your comments.

Using the left foot down only is a great suggestion, which I have started to use today.

I will investigate the Sargent Seat shortly (sorry for the pun).

Interestingly, the suspension was set at one up with luggage at the time, and now I see that this did complicate things.

Thanks again.

Peter

GT Newbie
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2008, 7:06 pm
Veteran

Hope you get the hang of it. i don't know how long you've been riding. But like they say "we're mammals, we can adapt!".
I just didn't want you to come off with the impression like "oh great, I need to fix this bike and this guy is telling me how to drive!".
I know this was stressed both when I took MSF courses and then when I became an instructor, this is one thing that was brought up in training. I have had people who have had an MSF course more recently said "they never taught that!", but it used to be and I think it makes alot of sense when you think about it.
In my opinion the biggest benefit, even for a low-seat cycle, is the stopping going up a hill. I guess you can always tell yourself you will try this on a hill, but it's better just to develop this habit and do it all the time so it is second nature.

Gilly

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode