Backrest options and opinions - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 7:46 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Backrest options and opinions

Looking for opinions on backrests. I've read different things pro and con for each. SO, what do you guys run?
Bakup; $400 is a bit much but looks OK, have heard people say that it feels flimsy to the passenger. I only want passenger BTW.

There was or is (discontinued maybe?) a "Stealth" backrest, which seems to mount UNDER the rack, which I like. Looks like it would be sturdy, unsure on adjustment, or price.

RCU: Looks sturdy, good price, maybe a bit more functional for tying bags to it, which I feel any of them could do, some better than others. I think the others look a bit nicer and the RCU looks like the bar might actually be felt on the passengers back. COLOR I think is only black, for a grey seat a grey rest would be nice. Gooder price on the RCU though.

Other options I'm missing? I'd really just like one that attaches to the stock rack and doesn't cover it, if possible. Not sure where the RCU attaches.

Thanks everyone!
(wife says she gets a backrest before I get a CB windshield!)
Gilly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 7:55 pm
no power in the 'verse can stop me

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillyWI

There was or is (discontinued maybe?) a "Stealth" backrest, which seems to mount UNDER the rack, which I like. Looks like it would be sturdy, unsure on adjustment, or price.
That would be Pirate. Look on our vendors page for contact info.
I don't know if he does one for the GT, but his early ones for the
RS were a work of art.

Check there first, you'll be happy you did. More importantly......

You're wife will be happy.

tim-----still on the right side of the frostline

you can't stop the signal
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 9:24 pm

I was in the same spot you are in. After looking at the options, I decided on the Stealth backrest.
- Didn't like the looks and design of the Bakup
- I like the RCU the best but thought it wouldn't look too good on my 03K12RS
The Stealth mounting bracket does mount to the underside of the stock rack. You will have to take the rack completely off and loosen the side luggage bars. 3 of the stock rack screws are easy to get out. The 4th is a real bi___h. The whole thing took me just over an hour to do.
The backrest feels sturdy and secure according to the wife. My came with two position holes drilled. Neither is quite right for her. I will probably drill one proper hole at some point. It's been on the bike for awhile with no problems and looks good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2008, 3:42 am Thread Starter
Veteran

I emailed Pireates Lair to see if they offer the Stealth for the 2nd Gen GT. It doesn't look like it. Second choice???

Gilly
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2008, 7:47 am
Addict

Another option you may want to explore is a trunk with a backrest. I've got a Givi on my '06 that works really well.

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'06 K1200GT - the new kid in town
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2008, 7:54 am
TJD
Rookie

Backrest

I just went through the same evolution looking for a backrest for the wife. I found that Pirate doesn't offer a stealth back rest for the new gen. GT yet. After looking at all options, I bought the BMW small (28 litre) topcase. It goes on and off with my ignition key and it's stable, secure and comfortable with the optional back pad. I figured if I was going to drop $400+ on a passenger backrest, I may as well get some extra storage with it. I may not use it much but it goes on and off so easily that I may find more uses for it than I think.

http://www.bmw-riders-gear.com/BMWRA...xx&bplo=&bphi=

T

TJD
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2008, 8:16 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJD
I just went through the same evolution looking for a backrest for the wife. I found that Pirate doesn't offer a stealth back rest for the new gen. GT yet. After looking at all options, I bought the BMW small (28 litre) topcase. It goes on and off with my ignition key and it's stable, secure and comfortable with the optional back pad. I figured if I was going to drop $400+ on a passenger backrest, I may as well get some extra storage with it. I may not use it much but it goes on and off so easily that I may find more uses for it than I think.

http://www.bmw-riders-gear.com/BMWRA...xx&bplo=&bphi=
T
The same is true for the 49 liter top case. It comes with a backrest included. I rarely ride two-up, but I did yesterday. My passenger told me that the backrest was very comfortable.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2008, 10:58 am

I went with the 49 liter top case. The wife loves support and it gives us plenty of space for helmets and gear.

Terry

2007 K1200 GT
1998 R1100 RT traded in
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2008, 11:45 am
Addict

another with the 49Ltr top case.

The wife loved the support for a 5,300 mile trip.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2008, 5:45 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsdad
Another option you may want to explore is a trunk with a backrest. I've got a Givi on my '06 that works really well.
800 bucks for the larger of the two, nah............but thinks i did see that was an option.

Gilly

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode