TPM question - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 11:08 pm Thread Starter

TPM question

I recently had a new set of tires mounted for my 07 GT. My TPM for the rear immediately showed 2-3 lbs less than what was really in the tire. Yellow warning light came on. I left for Gillette a day later. Along the way the front started reading lower also. Red light finally came on and both tires were supposedly 5lbs low, but three different gauges showed correct air pressure. I asked two different BMW dealers along the way about the problem. One said the sensors were probably damaged, the other said the TPM needed to be re-calibrated with their official service computer. Has anyone else experienced this problem and what was the fix??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2008, 8:48 am
Addict

The TPM read out is temperature compensated, so if you are checking your tires hot, the TPM will not agree with your gauge. Mine has always read a degree low even with the tires cold.

James
Central Texas
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2008, 6:19 pm
Would rather be riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM
The TPM read out is temperature compensated, so if you are checking your tires hot, the TPM will not agree with your gauge. Mine has always read a degree low even with the tires cold.
What he said. A 5 psi increase is about right for a hot tire if you're not being aggressive, so if you've got 40 lbs in it cold, you should read 45-ish when it's hot. Sounds like a bit more air is warranted, and check again when the bike is cold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2008, 6:54 pm
Veteran

My TPMs (front and rear) match the various cheap pressure gauges that I have, but they are 3 psi lower than the gauge in the local dealer's service area. The service manager swears that it is well calibrated.

In addition, I notice that the TPMs increase about 2 psi between when I start riding, and when the tires are warmed up, even though they are supposed to be temperature compensated.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode