K1200 GT: Is it dependable? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2008, 12:49 am Thread Starter
Noob

Cool K1200 GT: Is it dependable?

I had my heart set on a K1200 GT, and then I visited http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/en....asp?veh=38241. About 25% of the reviewers complained of serious dependability problems. Is that sour grapes sounding off, or should I really be concerned? I'm looking at a 2007 model with about 30K miles on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2008, 1:42 am
Enthusiast

There are problems as you will see if you look at the surveys at the top of the list of posts. The guy who dropped his bike because of the high idle problem must be a moron. I had the problem for over 10,000km until BMW came up with a fix and while it was not the best fun to ride in traffic I could certainly control the bike. It is now perfect with the new air box and software upgrade.

In my experience BMW have done everything necessary to to fix any problems and I certainly have no complaints about service or warranty repairs. The main problem is that there are a lot of warranty repairs to be done due to the number of things that have gone wrong. I think that the 2007 model like mine seems to have the highest number of faults that require a warranty repair. However, I wold buy another one the same in a flash as it is the only bike that meets all of my requirements.

Bob

2007 K1200GT Graphite
Ex 1986 Kawasaki GTR1000
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2008, 3:56 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTHunt
I had my heart set on a K1200 GT, and then I visited http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/en....asp?veh=38241. About 25% of the reviewers complained of serious dependability problems. Is that sour grapes sounding off, or should I really be concerned? I'm looking at a 2007 model with about 30K miles on it.
These forums often bring out people with issues that are looking for answers, as you just did.
If you are a member of this forum and you have had a trouble free GT, those with lots of problems probably sound like whiners.
I have had my GT since November last year and it is an early 07 model (11/06 build).
I have had at least 6 warranty jobs completed on my bike since owning it and it has only done 12000klms or roughly 8000mls.
BMW have been responsive to every problem so far and my biggest bitch has come from 2 of these failures, the first being a failed ABS modulator and another being a failed final drive that collectively put the bike off the road for a total of 3 months. This was due to parts being required from Germany and the parts people at the 2 dealerships involved ordering the wrong parts both times requiring new orders from Germany.
The failed final drive put an end to a touring holiday and required a 5 hour tow and a flight home after 3 hours waiting for the tow truck. (country town)
When I read the threads on this site ive assessed that ive had about every known problem that seems to happen to these bikes and some of the members have quite high mileage for young bikes.
So what does all this mean? if anyone was going to be pissed off with this bike it should be me and while i waited 2 months for it to return with a new final drive i certainly was.
This emotion lasted a bout 3 minutes after i got back on it and rode it. I LOVE THIS BIKE! Every time I get on it I find something else to like about it.
Every time I need the brakes and they stop me like ive hit a wall, every time i underestimate the tightness of a corner and get that OGHHH [email protected]%&K feeling, i just push those beautiful adjustable handle bars just a little harder and around she goes without fuss.
The engines performance is breathtaking and every time I go to the beer fridge in the garage I have to stop and look at her, often walking away with half a woody. (joking)
These are spectacularly good bikes for wind/weather protection and come with some great features, Xenon, ESA, Cruise, the list goes on.
Are they dependable?, it would seem that until the problems well documented on this sight have been fixed (under warranty) they are not.
Is it worth the hassle? Absolutely!!!!!!!

P.S. Your BMW dealer will be able to tell you which if any of these jobs have been corrected simply by providing them with the VIN number.

Black stuff down, Shiny side up!______________________________
10 R1200RTSE
02 R1100S
07 K1200GT R.I.P.
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2008, 7:23 am
Addict

I know there have been some on here that have had some problems. I haven't had any thing come up thus far. I bought my '06 used in Jun of last year and have since put on 22K with absolutely no problems. I'm now sitting with 32k on the odo and i still love this bike. Would I buy another one? You betcha....in a heartbeat.

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'06 K1200GT - the new kid in town
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2008, 7:40 am
Veteran

In your link, I noticed that all the people with problems had the blue colored ones from the photos. Just don't buy the blue one!

Seriously, as mentioned, the guy who dropped the high idle isn't hitting on all cylinders. I know of another BMW owner whose wife dropped her's when she stalled it and he argued for a warranty fix on the bodywork damages (BMW did it!). Mine did the same high-idle junk and I never dropped it for that (won't mention all the real reasons mine's gone over).

Most on the link seem happy with the bike - some even 5 stars. Some problems are invariably with some dealers: Some are good. Some not so good. A bad one can wreck your experience with any brand. I know several Gold "Whiners" (coined by the dealer) that aren't happy with the local Honda dealer. If you buy the bike from him, he'll get to it fairly quick. If not, it may sit in his shop for a year until the local club gets a trailer and takes it to the purchased from dealer often 120 miles distant.

A lot of component problems rest with BMW's suppliers. Their prez mentioned in their magazine they had problems with QC with some of their suppliers and they were addressing that. Final drive issues are becoming less and, hopefully than with the 1100 and 1150 sized engines as on the RT. The next Iron Butt Rally will prove their reliability - hopefully for the better.

But the bike is a rush. It offers a lot of creature comfort so the price is consequently higher. All bikes need some owner tuning and farkling.

As others, I'd buy it again.

Mack
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2008, 4:21 pm

K12GT model of POOR RELIABILITY

Dont buy it. Save yourself plenty of money, aggravation and heartache. I too lusted for the K1200GT, so I know what youre feeling, but they are just not dependable. I should have went with my gut feeling the day I was finalizing the deal when a brand new K12GT was brought in on a flatbed. Well I bought the GT and had nothing but problems. EWS failures, dead batteries, high-idle/airbox problems, fuel gauge sensors replaced twice, and the best was at 600+ miles I rode the GT from Hazlet NJ to Montaulk LINY and my shaft blew a seal. Well that had to totally be replaced, and YES I did take it to the dealer on time for the 600 mile service on the shaft that never needed service! I know your passion nothing was gonna stop me from getting the GT, but YOU WILL REGRET IT! I had problems with my GT just about every time I was on it. The GT was in the shop more than it was on the road, Oh and dont even expect BMW NA or in my case the dealer also to do anything but give you a stroke job. I was told by both that nothing could be done about the problems I was having because their was a warranty system in place! Buy a Harley they have SUPERIOR reliability compared to the BMWs. You can go to the BBB on-line to find numerous complaints from BMW motorcycle owners. And by the way I only owned my GT, bought new with no miles on it, 8 months. In the 10 plus years Ive been riding and buying Harleys Ive had zero problems, as a matter-of-fact I traded the GT in on a Harley, and I lost my ass on trade in. Well play it safe and buy elsewhere. Good Luck
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2008, 4:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerbob
Dont buy it. Save yourself plenty of money, aggravation and heartache. I too lusted for the K1200GT, so I know what youre feeling, but they are just not dependable. I should have went with my gut feeling the day I was finalizing the deal when a brand new K12GT was brought in on a flatbed. Well I bought the GT and had nothing but problems. EWS failures, dead batteries, high-idle/airbox problems, fuel gauge sensors replaced twice, and the best was at 600+ miles I rode the GT from Hazlet NJ to Montaulk LINY and my shaft blew a seal. Well that had to totally be replaced, and YES I did take it to the dealer on time for the 600 mile service on the shaft that never needed service! I know your passion nothing was gonna stop me from getting the GT, but YOU WILL REGRET IT! I had problems with my GT just about every time I was on it. The GT was in the shop more than it was on the road, Oh and dont even expect BMW NA or in my case the dealer also to do anything but give you a stroke job. I was told by both that nothing could be done about the problems I was having because their was a warranty system in place! Buy a Harley they have SUPERIOR reliability compared to the BMWs. You can go to the BBB on-line to find numerous complaints from BMW motorcycle owners. And by the way I only owned my GT, bought new with no miles on it, 8 months. In the 10 plus years Ive been riding and buying Harleys Ive had zero problems, as a matter-of-fact I traded the GT in on a Harley, and I lost my ass on trade in. Well play it safe and buy elsewhere. Good Luck
Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience. It's interesting, I had nothing but problems with Harley and have had a good experience with my BMW. Your experience seems to be in the extreme minority.

To the original poster, bare in mind that there have been issues with EWS, and high idle on some GT's. By and large, BMW has stepped in and resolved the problems.

I have had my GT for over a year, and it has been a great bike. I did take mine in for a proactive fix for the EWS issue. Other than that, no issues. To answer your question directly, yes it is a dependable bike. You will find many, many more satisfied GT owners than you will dissapointed GT owners.

Take one for a ride, and let that be the basis of your decision.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2008, 5:13 pm

The silent majority.

The flip side of that coin is that 10% of the people make 90% of the noise! The rest of us are happy and cruising.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2008, 5:35 pm
Addict

Quote:
Buy a Harley they have SUPERIOR reliability compared to the BMWs.
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

On ANY given weekend, I see AT LEAST one Harley on the side of the road. EVERY weekend. I have NEVER been left on the side of the road by a BMW in over 20 years. Even real, hard-core Harley riders admit they have issues. This is the funniest comment I've ever seen on this forum.

The GT is a sophisticated machine. Any F1, IRL or NASCAR driver will eventually bitch about their car not performing correctly. A GT in your garage means care and feeding- it is NOT a stamped out, pig-iron Harley. If you want totally care-free riding, get a GS- I have both, and they are for two completely different missions.

Quote:
Buy a Harley they have SUPERIOR reliability compared to the BMWs.
HA HA HA HA HA HA!

Last edited by Brahma; Aug 4th, 2008 at 5:42 pm.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2008, 7:11 pm

Smile How's come you still hanging around here?

Quote:
Dont buy it. Save yourself plenty of money, aggravation and heartache. I too lusted for the K1200GT, so I know what youre feeling, but they are just not dependable.
Bob,
I remember your story. Can't blame you for getting rid of it. You had every GT problem known to mankind, all at once! They must have started building it on Friday afternoon and finished it on Monday morning. Any idea of what ever happened to your GT?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode