Robert- leg heat - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2008, 9:27 pm Thread Starter
Strafist

Robert- leg heat

Hey Robert, I finally got to feel the heat on the right leg that you've bemoaned. Had to fly to a bidness meeting, so I wore my multi-spine stingray cowboy boots. Riding home I felt it.

I think, hell, I know, it was the thin cowboy boot that caused me to feel it.

Riding home today I saw 104 degrees and never felt any heat on my right leg from the bike. I wear Altberg Boots. Made in England for moto cops. I swear the dayem thangs are 1/4 inch thick. I had a bitch of time breaking them in, but now they're all day comfy and waterproof as hell.

Mayhaps you're wearing thin boots?

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2008, 2:47 am
Enthusiast

I've felt it occasionally on my right leg as well since Robert pointed it out, even with boots on. However, it is the same in any temperature and is certainly not an issue. It is so much less the the GTR 1000 or ST1300 that there is no comparison. They have that much heat pouring out from everywhere onto your body so you roast in summer, although it is nice in our winter.

Have you felt the heat from the oil cooler yet Grif? I took my gloves off and put my hand down in front of the handle bars and I could just feel it. I have never felt it during normal riding, even in summer when it is regularly over 100 degrees on my trip to work.

Bob

2007 K1200GT Graphite
Ex 1986 Kawasaki GTR1000
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2008, 6:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobD
I've felt it occasionally on my right leg as well since Robert pointed it out, even with boots on. However, it is the same in any temperature and is certainly not an issue. It is so much less the the GTR 1000 or ST1300 that there is no comparison. They have that much heat pouring out from everywhere onto your body so you roast in summer, although it is nice in our winter.

Have you felt the heat from the oil cooler yet Grif? I took my gloves off and put my hand down in front of the handle bars and I could just feel it. I have never felt it during normal riding, even in summer when it is regularly over 100 degrees on my trip to work.

I get the oil cooler heat regularly. Doesn't bother me but helps keeps my hands warm on a chilly morning. I've experienec a hot right foot only intermittently - just move my foot and then I'm good. Move it back, might or might not get hot. Cheap thin boots, but it's still intermittent. Not sure if it's the vernantham opening and closing on the water cooler and an airflow thing or what. No biggie, move my foot an inch right and I'm fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2008, 8:10 am
Addict

I wear my cowboy boots to work everyday and I can barely feel any heat, but then I have on my riding pants over my slacks.

Now, ya want to know what heat is, I'll let you ride my Connie in stop and go traffic sometime! My right knee feels like it's on fire! There is absolutely no heat on the GT by comparison.

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'06 K1200GT - the new kid in town
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2008, 8:28 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsdad
I wear my cowboy boots to work everyday and I can barely feel any heat, but then I have on my riding pants over my slacks.

Now, ya want to know what heat is, I'll let you ride my Connie in stop and go traffic sometime! My right knee feels like it's on fire! There is absolutely no heat on the GT by comparison.
Try an American Iron chopper with a 110 incher if you want hot legs! Probably why you never see them on the road either.

Some Victory salesman said some of the new larger Harley-engined bikes have some sort of heat blanket on them, and they also keep the rear cylinder from firing at idle to keep the leg heat down. Dunno 'bout that one.

Mack
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2008, 8:55 am
Addict

I also get the oil cooler heat. Coming back from Austin last Friday, it was 105 and my Garmin 2820, mounted between the bars was so hot that I could barely hold on to it. I finally removed it from the mount and put it in the tank bag.

James
Central Texas
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2008, 9:30 am
Veteran

There is definitely a cut off point at which the heat from both the right side clutch housing area and the oil cooler becomes an issue for me. Some where in the mid 90 degrees. Anything above 100 is freakin' ballistic hot. And on long rides painfully so.

I have no idea how one bike could be so much hotter than the others, or how only a few of us seem to notice this cause they all have to run pretty hot in the heat. Maybe some folks just don't ride in heat. Maybe they have bikes that run cooler? Different thermostat settings? Dunno.

Grif, I wear these : Vendramini Marathon

By far the best and most comfortable boot I've ever worn. Most of the time I also wear a pair of Olympia Air Glide pants, and maybe that makes a difference. Actually I'm pretty sure it would as it allows for the hot air to flow right to the boot. I also have a heavier pair of pants that I never notice the heat in, however I also never wear them in the heat.

Now if I have to ride in any heat I end up un zippering my pant leg and leaving the the boot a bit loose. That and riding with my foot a couple inches out helps. But the best solution for me has been planning. If it's going to be in the 100's where I'm going I just bag it in by 2pm and then get a before sunrise start.

And I totally get the "remove GPS" from behind the oil cooler thing. I'm very glad I have mine mounted on the e-shelf cause I have no doubt that I'd be frying it otherwise.

I had one incident last year riding through NV where it was in the 110's or so, no way I could keep a jacket on, by the end of the after noon I literally had minor burns, like real bad sun burn, from the oil cooler heat on the inside of my fore arms. (No it wasn't sun burn....spf 50 everywhere and no burn any where else.)

The good thing is we're having a pretty cool summer up here, the bad.....I don't have too much time to ride during the busy season for me.

Come Oct though I be a ridin' fool!

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2008, 9:56 am
Addict

You might be right - it may be what you're used to. I ride in 100+ pretty much everyday and it's really not that bad unless i get stuck in traffic, then I just flat cook, from head to toe.

I wear the Air Glide pants over my slacks on days i have to wear slacks. On Fri I can wear jeans, so it's jeans and my Roadgear boots. I still don't feel the heat like you do.

Now, that oil cooler heat....that may be why my iPhone is so blasted hot. I have it mounted on a RAM mount on the handlebar kinda in the center.

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'06 K1200GT - the new kid in town
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2008, 10:27 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_W
I had one incident last year riding through NV where it was in the 110's or so, no way I could keep a jacket on, by the end of the after noon I literally had minor burns, like real bad sun burn, from the oil cooler heat on the inside of my fore arms. (No it wasn't sun burn....spf 50 everywhere and no burn any where else.)
Buddy's brother at work and him took off in the middle of the week and crossed Death Valley. Some others were to meet them in Beatty, NV to head north to Idaho.

He said his brother started complaining about feeling light-headed and took his jacket off. Few minutes later they got to the Furnace Creek area he had some violent dry-heaves and he passed out at the gas pumps. They had to get a room (it was the park's off season and rooms are cheaper in the summer for $150?) with A/C and revive him.

He said he learned his lesson about taking his jacket off. He said the wind burn just toasted him in nothing flat. He said it was about a "cool" 120 degrees.

Oh, he's not impressed with Death Valley either. Wonder why?

I call it quits at 95 degrees. Sucks beyond that, even with a phase-change vest.

Mack
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2008, 1:18 pm Thread Starter
Strafist

Reckon some of you fellers haven't dug post holes in Texas rock in the middle of summer. Riding a bike is a piece of cake in the heat.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode