Move from 04 GT to a 08 GT - Any Thoughts? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2008, 6:23 pm Thread Starter

Move from 04 GT to a 08 GT - Any Thoughts?

I have read about every thread related to the new GT, but perhaps someone has first hand experience between my current 04 GT and the newest GT. I'm looking for my next bike and interested in something that would be a little more comfortable for 2 up riding and longer distant interstate riding. My 04 is very noisy in my helmet over 50 mph. My pillion also complains about the strong wind on her chest. I'm good on my 04 for about 300 to 400 miles a day for 2 or 3 days straight, but that is pushing it. I want to be able to cover 600+ in a day. I really do not want to go for the large LT, because I really enjoy my GT handling. I'm about 50% solo and 50% with a pillion. I guess I could look at the RT but the new GT is my favorite. My closest dealer is 150 miles away, so a test drive will take some weekday effort.

Anyone have first hand experience between these two or possibly the RT or LT? Your advice would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2008, 7:30 pm

I rode an 04 Gt for two summers and now an 07 GT for 2 summers... 28000 km on the 04 and 20000 km so far on the 07.
The 07 is much more comfortable (Suburban Machine Bar Backs made it even better). I also handles much more nimbly esp. at slow speed. The 07 is also a lot more powerful. Overall a better bike by far. Stay away from 06s and 07s unless all the various updates with the air box, seat and so on have been done. Recent 08s are fine. Look through this site for details.
The stock and most of the after market windscreens leave lots to be desired for turbulence for rider and particularly the passenger. The stock and most after market windscreen are no better than the stock on the 04. Look at the various postings on the Aero Flow after market windscreens and the fairing mods. I have an XL Cal Sci it is fine at 110 km but I seldom ride that slow.
Overall the GT is a much better bike.
From discussions on this site and on the road the RT is not as fast but somewhat more comfortable.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2008, 8:18 pm
Enthusiast

04 GT to new GT

"From discussions on this site and on the road the RT is not as fast but somewhat more comfortable."

I would absolutely recommend you test ride a RT and see what you think. I rode a K11RS for 11 years and love the K engine but I have to say I am very impressed by the new hexhead RT. I have had mine for almost 3 years and 27K miles and it is a blast and the comfort and protection is certainly better than the K bike. That is two of the main reasons I switched to the RT.

'05 R1200RT, Ruby, as in RED, (current garage queen)
'04 R1150RT, '99 Ducati 748 BiPosto, '93 Seca II, '93 K1100RS, '83 Yamaha Maxim 750,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2008, 5:44 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for both of your comments.

Today I test road a new GT and a new GS. They did not have a RT. Here are my first impressions.

I rode the GT for about 30 miles. Very smooth and lots of power. You got to like both of these things. The more upright riding position was also better. My knees felt very bent and I'm not thrilled about how my right foot/leg rests on the engine. It was hot just from my short trip and generally felt in the way. I'm sure I could get used to it. I do not think this bike would be an improvement for my pillion. My 04 already has plenty of power, so the extra extra power is not a huge selling point for me. Also something about the inside of the fairing around the gages, felt like a big scooter. Maybe it was the blank plastic inside finish with the aluminum color bolts. I think it is not enough of a change for me. This is not intended as a GT flame. Its a fine bike, just not my choice. I think if this was my only choice I would save the $20K and keep my current bike.

The GS was another story. I rode the GS for 65 miles per the trip system. I hit all types of roads and speeds and was pleasantly impressed. I did not feel the twin vibration was a issue for me. It handled very well in the twistys. I'm certain that once I was used to it, I could run the curves as good as my GT or even a little better because its so light. But thats just my feeling. It does have a anti-high performance look and is not as smooth as what I'm used to. The riding position was very nice and the wind was just OK. The larger screen like on the ADV version would be nice. There is something very intriguing about having a sleeper bike that handles almost like a sport bike. The arguably ugly duckling look is kind of refreshing. Its more about the ride than the look of the ride. That would be new for me. The idea of doing some ADV riding is also interesting.

I need to find a new RT and see how I feel then.

They only offered me about $7,000 for my low milage (11,000 miles) excellent shape 04 GT. That hurts a bit. I think I would get about $9,500 if I sold it, but I may be wrong....

The next few weeks will be interesting.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2008, 9:03 pm
Enthusiast

04 GT to 08 GT

I rode an 05 GS for about 30 miles from Big Bear to Lake Arrowhead, Ca. While I really liked the handling and reduced weight I did not appreciate the wind blast at all compared to my RT. You will not feel the vibration due to the counter balancers in the new hexhead engine. If you were on an 04 or earlier model you would feel the vibration.

Regarding trade in value for your bike you are waaaay better off selling it yourself. A dealer is going to give you the least amount they can for your bike so sell it yourself. An 04 with 11K miles is nothing in terms of mileage. You should be able to get a good buck for your bike. In terms of buying a new bike if you like the RT my recommendation would be to buy pre-owned. It is the best value. There was a survey on the bmwst site and I was shocked to see from the respondents that 70% of BMW owners bought their bikes pre-owned. I thought it would have been more new bikes purchased. I have saved an average of $5K per bike after buying 3 BMW's since 1993. When you have a chance be sure to test ride a hexhead RT. It is a great bike.

'05 R1200RT, Ruby, as in RED, (current garage queen)
'04 R1150RT, '99 Ducati 748 BiPosto, '93 Seca II, '93 K1100RS, '83 Yamaha Maxim 750,
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2008, 10:07 am

I owned an LT for 4 happy years, and now have had a new GT for 2 years. Both are great bikes, and both have their niche. For me, the LT is simply too heavy to have serious fun with in the twisties, and it's not fast (quick?) enough either. While the GT satisfies all of my wants & needs, my wife did enjoy the LT more. And she's a small girl. If you do a lot of 2-up riding, you best include your little lady in on the decision.

I have ridden the new RT, several GSes, the older GT, etc. And they are all such different animals that this is really a tough question to answer. You really need to take a ride on each and make up your own mind.

FWIW ... my 2006 Deep-Blue Metallic K1200GT is going up for sale soon. It has just under 26K with all of it's maintenance up-to-date (recent 24K service and new tires). It's never EVER been down, and looks brand-new. PM me if you're interested. I live near Cleveland, OH so we're practically neighbors.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2008, 2:57 pm

Kregg,, How is the hunting going??

From reading your post it looks to me (my lopsided point of view) that even though you like the sportiness of your 04 GT you are looking to get more good miles out of a bike for you and the misses....

GS's are great bikes but you won't extend your distance on one by much at all,, you will still be in the 400 mile range...... The new generation GT will keep you where you are now but they are very nice bikes.....If you get the chance to try the RT make sure you do it 2-up not just solo.. The RT will probably move you above the 400 mile mark, they are a very good light tourer.....

BUT,, you really owe it to yourself to take a good test ride on a new K1200LT!! You and the wife will not realize how far you can go in a day..The LT will easily move you into the 500 to 700 mile days and you should quite easily do a weeks worth of 600 mile days and not suffer from any fatigue at all..

Test them all, you will find the one thats perfect...........Pete Good Luck
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 2008, 3:22 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for everyones continued comments. I will test ride the RT in the next month or so. I do not have a dealer close, so it will happen when the stars are aligned. I also want to test ride the LT, but I'm fairly certain that it will not be sporty enough for me. I ride 1 up most of the time, but with the wife joining me more and more. When my kids get older (and I get older) a LT may be a better option. I'm going to be in the 1 bike category until the wife thinks 2 is OK. That means I need something for fun spirited solo riding, that also works for 2. If the wife goes for a test ride and falls in love with the ride of the LT and then I decide that will not work for me..... Well, lets just say I do not want to be in that position.

I must say that since my test rides of the GS and new GT, I have ridden my 04 GT several times and I'm falling in love with her all over again. I'm not sure I would go for the new GT even if it wasn't a lot more money.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode