Got my a$$ kicked - venting - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2008, 8:14 pm Thread Starter

Got my a$$ kicked - venting

The only thing this has to do with my KGT is I had to push it out of the way to make room to work on my wife's bike. Putting a tube in the front tire. Found the shop not only didn't torque the front wheel of her bike, they didn't even tighten it. The only thing holding the front axle in place was the cotter pin.

They put a new tire on, but not a new valve stem. Valve stem was leaking - but they put in a new schroeder (sp?) valve. Ooookay. So I go into the maintainence book and see that those aluminum rims require tubed tires. Fine, I'll get a tube and throw it in there, no big deal. Took an hour to pry the tire off and guess what? No tube! Okey dokey then. Throw the new tube in, another hour to get the tire back over the rim, and I'm done - except for the last 6 inches, that took 55 of the 60 minutes. Won't budge. So into the trunk of the car it goes and off to the tire shop tomorrow. PITA!

I now return you to your regualry scheduled KGT forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2008, 9:14 pm
Veteran

Those last few inches can be a bear with irons.

I found Yamaha Tire Mounting Lube to work wonders along with two long irons and one short one. With the lube, the tire comes off pretty easily and without much iron labor. Putting it back on and the second bead gets easy for the first half, but that second half gets to be a royal pain.

I need to use both knees to keep the tire in the middle of the rim. I take small one inch or less bites with the little iron (between the large ones) while walking the larger ones up to the top. At some point it pops into place, but it takes really small bites to do it along with keeping that bead in the hollow of the rim with my knees.

If I take large bites of a couple of inches thinking it will speed the process up, all that happens is I get pissed off, and yell obscenities loud enough until the neighbor brings me a beer to cool off. It seems when that happens it takes me hours.

Those hard nylon rim protectors with the rope on them should they fall into the tire help too. My local Cycle-Gear has them and they also use them with whatever changer they have their store. I have to do the balancing though as they don't have the adapter.

Mack
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2008, 8:27 am
Strafist

Check out the tire mounting flicks on the NoMar site.

Using small blocks of wood help to keep the tire bead in place.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2008, 2:30 pm
Would rather be riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by iflybricks
The only thing this has to do with my KGT is I had to push it out of the way to make room to work on my wife's bike. Putting a tube in the front tire. Found the shop not only didn't torque the front wheel of her bike, they didn't even tighten it. The only thing holding the front axle in place was the cotter pin.
I had something similar happen to me once. Rear tire on a GPZ1100. I had just had it replaced and went for a long spirited ride up to Lake Tahoe. I get there and notice there's no nut on the rear axle... the only thing keeping it on was friction! It's the kind of nut that takes a cotter pin as well to keep it from moving once it's tight. I can only hope the monkey that remounted the wheel at least hand tightened the nut before my ride and it didn't fall off 'till near the end.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2008, 3:42 pm
Lieu

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Check out the tire mounting flicks on the NoMar site.

Using small blocks of wood help to keep the tire bead in place.
Grif,
Do you have one of these?

Ken
Elgin, IL

2007 BMW K1200 GT
2006 Harley Davidson VRSCSE2 (totaled)
2005 Honda ST1300 (traded-in)
2001 Honda Valkyrie Interstate (sold)
1997 Honda Valkyrie Standard (sold)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2008, 5:39 pm
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconfire
Grif,
Do you have one of these?
No, I have the Harbor Freight. Thought it was the tits that I'd won it AND the motorcycle wheel attachment on Ebay for $49.... that is till I saw they charged me over $80 for shipping.

I do have the No Mar bar and spoons.

Matter of fact, I just got thru changing tires. Wear bars on the front tire of the PR2's saying hi at a leetle over 10,000 miles. Weird that the front went first, but what the hell.

I changed them today because I'm going on a RTE to just south of Galveston Saturday and simply because it's a crisp, refreshing 100 degrees outside today.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2008, 4:27 pm Thread Starter

The rest of the story...

Local shop got the tire mounted the rest of the way and I reinstalled it last night. Torqued to specs, ops check good.

Come out this afternoon and much to my surprise...the tire still holds air!! Only been 3 months coming. Whew, glad that's done.

What's next? Bring it on!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2008, 10:16 pm
Enthusiast

It happens to all of us

A bike shop left a spacer out of my Husky on a new tire changed. Before my son got 5 miles, it trashed the brakes and swing arm. Dealer fixed it (not same as first guy), son got 1 mile and said, "Not right." We go back and convince them it's missing parts. Sure enough even the dealer missed it. Cost us 2K and the standard X-Files phrase, "Trust no one." At work we call it "Trust but verify."

If a bike shop does work, I either watch or double check their work. Seems you saved a lot of money.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 2008, 12:20 pm
Enthusiast

I built a homemade (no-mar clone) and it works great, BUT, that last 8" or so is where you need those little plastic deals that hook onto the rim opposite to hold the tire bead down in the channel to give some relief. I don't have those but threaten to order them everytime I change a tire. I get some more help to try and hold that far side down in the channel, otherwise it will not make the stretch!

12 Super Tenere 1200 (coming soon)
10 MTS1200 standard (riding)
09 Monster 696 (wife's ride)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode