Hi all. I am writing this long post mostly to document a timeline of events so that, if needed, I don't forget anything should I make out a complaint to the DOT or the NHTSA. It's not a rant (well, at the end it is), and there is a question at the end.
Last Friday, August 1, I bought a 2008 GT. The bike I purchased was a demonstrator model with 250 miles on it. I felt like I got a very reasonable deal on this bike. In the week since then, the bike has proven to be the only bike that has scared me, and not in a "good" way. On the 30-mile ride home, the bike began demonstrating the high idle as soon as I pulled into my garage. I was floored that an '08 would exhibit the same behavior that my brother's '06 did.
Anyway, on Saturday, August 2, I called the dealer from which I bought the bike to schedule a 600-mile service, but they were booked up two weeks out. Rats! I called another dealer, 60 miles north of here, and they could get me in on Wednesday, August 5. Great! I reported the high idle issue, and the service manager made a note and said they would tend to it.
On Sunday, August 3, I did a 250-mile shakedown run to Big Bear Lake. After an hour of riding, I arrived in the mountains, where I pulled over to take a few photos of the bike. The bike would restart. I had to open the throttle to get the bike to start up. My first scare occurred a few miles down the road, in the middle of some tight turns. This is where the bucking kicked in causing the bike to lurch so badly while leaned over. I felt as though I was going to lose control. From that point on, I was very tentative while setting up for turns. Stopped for a snack a little farther on. Again, bike would not readily start. When it did start, the idle was extremely choppy, ranging from 900 to 1800 with an occasional stall.
I went adventure riding the following day. By adventure, I mean riding the GT around town in traffic – jerking, bucking, and stalling the whole way.
On Wednesday, August 5, I reported bright and early for my 600-mile service. The service manager immediately acknowledged the airbox issue, and told me he had already ordered one for me so as to be ready for my service
. The bike spent the entire day on the rack. They did the 600-mile service, the EWS replacement, and the airbox replacement. At 5:30 in the evening, the tech finally took the bike for a test ride and immediately noted the bike would stall when not in gear. He explained to me that he ran out of time and did not flash the bike to update the CIP. This was most likely the reason the bike was stalling, as he was fairly certain everything mechanical was in order and the bike was not throwing any faults.
I was far from home, and took the bike, which stalled on the FREAKING FREEWAY every time traffic came to a stop! Anyone who has ridden the LA freeways knows how frightening it is to be stalled dead in traffic. I had to push through 20 miles of stop and go traffic while maintaining 3K just to keep the bike from stalling.
My selling dealer said they will take the bike first thing tomorrow, August 8, to flash the bike while I wait.
QUESTION: How confident should I be that software will fix the stalling issue?
RANT: It is not a exaggeration to say that this bike is not roadworthy. How dare a dealer sell a bike in this condition. If they racked up 250 miles on it as a demo, there is no way that they were unaware of the running condition of this bike.
I will be talking with the sales manager and the owner tomorrow. Update to follow