2008 GT with High Idle/Bucking - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2008, 10:20 pm Thread Starter
Noob

2008 GT with High Idle/Bucking

Hi all. I am writing this long post mostly to document a timeline of events so that, if needed, I don't forget anything should I make out a complaint to the DOT or the NHTSA. It's not a rant (well, at the end it is), and there is a question at the end.

Last Friday, August 1, I bought a 2008 GT. The bike I purchased was a demonstrator model with 250 miles on it. I felt like I got a very reasonable deal on this bike. In the week since then, the bike has proven to be the only bike that has scared me, and not in a "good" way. On the 30-mile ride home, the bike began demonstrating the high idle as soon as I pulled into my garage. I was floored that an '08 would exhibit the same behavior that my brother's '06 did.

Anyway, on Saturday, August 2, I called the dealer from which I bought the bike to schedule a 600-mile service, but they were booked up two weeks out. Rats! I called another dealer, 60 miles north of here, and they could get me in on Wednesday, August 5. Great! I reported the high idle issue, and the service manager made a note and said they would tend to it.

On Sunday, August 3, I did a 250-mile shakedown run to Big Bear Lake. After an hour of riding, I arrived in the mountains, where I pulled over to take a few photos of the bike. The bike would restart. I had to open the throttle to get the bike to start up. My first scare occurred a few miles down the road, in the middle of some tight turns. This is where the bucking kicked in causing the bike to lurch so badly while leaned over. I felt as though I was going to lose control. From that point on, I was very tentative while setting up for turns. Stopped for a snack a little farther on. Again, bike would not readily start. When it did start, the idle was extremely choppy, ranging from 900 to 1800 with an occasional stall.

I went adventure riding the following day. By adventure, I mean riding the GT around town in traffic – jerking, bucking, and stalling the whole way.

On Wednesday, August 5, I reported bright and early for my 600-mile service. The service manager immediately acknowledged the airbox issue, and told me he had already ordered one for me so as to be ready for my service . The bike spent the entire day on the rack. They did the 600-mile service, the EWS replacement, and the airbox replacement. At 5:30 in the evening, the tech finally took the bike for a test ride and immediately noted the bike would stall when not in gear. He explained to me that he ran out of time and did not flash the bike to update the CIP. This was most likely the reason the bike was stalling, as he was fairly certain everything mechanical was in order and the bike was not throwing any faults.

I was far from home, and took the bike, which stalled on the FREAKING FREEWAY every time traffic came to a stop! Anyone who has ridden the LA freeways knows how frightening it is to be stalled dead in traffic. I had to push through 20 miles of stop and go traffic while maintaining 3K just to keep the bike from stalling.

My selling dealer said they will take the bike first thing tomorrow, August 8, to flash the bike while I wait.

QUESTION: How confident should I be that software will fix the stalling issue?

RANT: It is not a exaggeration to say that this bike is not roadworthy. How dare a dealer sell a bike in this condition. If they racked up 250 miles on it as a demo, there is no way that they were unaware of the running condition of this bike. I will be talking with the sales manager and the owner tomorrow. Update to follow

Last edited by pbbeck; Aug 7th, 2008 at 11:52 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2008, 11:53 pm
Enthusiast

Not only that, why the hell didn't they put the new EWS and air box in before delivery, even if it was running properly? It doesn't matter wether it is Perth or the US, no one seems to have any common sense on preparing bikes or anything else for sale. you would think it would be in the dealer's interest to have a properly running vehicle delivered to a client rather than copping a whole heap of word of mouth and internet flack when known faults occur after delivery.

Your problem seems a bit different to the normal high idle issue. It doesn't usually stall or run slow but it does usually idle roughly when the high idle kicks in. Mine had it for 10,000km before the new air box was released and then it was 50% there for the next 10,000km after the new air box was fitted. It was starting to stall when first started from cold so I finally got the dealer to reset the adaptive settings and upgrade the software to V11.? as a last resort. Since then the bike has been faultless in any conditions, except that my ESA stopped working recently and I am waiting for a new computer that may fix it according to the fault codes.

Good luck. Once it is fixed, which I am sure it will be in time, you will love it. you will just need to be patient for a short time, unfortunately, as parts etc take time to get in.

Bob

2007 K1200GT Graphite
Ex 1986 Kawasaki GTR1000
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2008, 12:28 pm
Enthusiast

I agree and went through what you are going through now. Had the airbox symptoms and had to wait for 3 weeks for an appointment and a week for the dealer to order one because he did not believe me when I told him what the symptoms were. Bike runs great and am happy with it now... If it keeps running this good I'll be happy forever!

Gary
2007 K1200GT
Dark Graphite Grey
New Jersey-Don't Laugh!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2008, 12:41 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Today is August 8, around 10:30 AM. I'm home from the dealer... on a loaner. The dealer's service manager had my GT on the lift first thing. They flashed the software and determined that software was not the problem. Now they have to troubleshoot, so I took a F800 S and rode it home. (What a fun bike!)

While the dealer was receptive, and the general manager and owner promised to prioritize my bike until everything is resolved, they appeared to be surprised to learn of my experience with the bike in my one week of ownership. They reported to me that they were unaware of any problems with that bike. Sorry, I find that hard to believe considering that the problem manifested itself 100% of the time from the moment it got up to operating temp on my first ride home.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2008, 3:12 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbbeck
Today is August 8, around 10:30 AM. I'm home from the dealer... on a loaner. The dealer's service manager had my GT on the lift first thing. They flashed the software and determined that software was not the problem. Now they have to troubleshoot, so I took a F800 S and rode it home. (What a fun bike!)

While the dealer was receptive, and the general manager and owner promised to prioritize my bike until everything is resolved, they appeared to be surprised to learn of my experience with the bike in my one week of ownership. They reported to me that they were unaware of any problems with that bike. Sorry, I find that hard to believe considering that the problem manifested itself 100% of the time from the moment it got up to operating temp on my first ride home.
I had bucking and stalling problems with my 07 KS. The dealer could not fix it in a week. I called BMW NA and talke to a rep there and told him the bike was UNSAFE. I also emailed BMW NA with the same info. Twenty minutes after I called, the rep was on the phone with the dealer and things started happening. It took a month to get it fixed - new airbox, new ecu (bmskp), new plugs, new fuel filter, etc. The bike no longer bucks. It still stalls occasionally. Don't wait for the dealer very long. I didn't call bmw to rant. I called in an appropriate tone to get my bike fixed. I think UNSAFE is a good term to use with BMW. I should add that the dealer did all he could, but couldn't fix it. it took bmw na to get involved.

07 BMW K1200 S (cosmic blue/titan silver)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2008, 3:41 pm
Veteran

I suspect your bike will be fixed to your satisfaction. The LA basin has some pretty good dealerships.

A lot of the warranty issues and problems with fixes seem to revolve around how well their service department "READS" the bulletins from BMW NA on problems and fixes. Some apparently don't and it leads to service issues. Worse is when you know of the fix before they do and you take in a service bulletin number found on this site to them. Sheesh!

Good luck and enjoy your new bike after all the mods.

Mack
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2008, 8:05 pm

Its amazing that this kind of crap is still going on 3 years after this bikes intro. Every time I read one of these posts, it brings bad all the bad memories of my 07 KGT that was, according to the selling dealer at the time, past all its "teething" problems. 7 warranty repairs in 3 months and it still never ran right. I am soooo glad I got rid of mine and went back to an RT. It may not be as fast, but it runs great!!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2008, 8:20 pm Thread Starter
Noob

At 4PM on Friday, the service manager called to tell me my bike was fixed. The manager suggested that the other dealer (who did the airbox TSB) did shoddy work. During today's diagnostic process, the dealer installed another airbox, zeroed out all values in the ecu, and reinstalled the software. This, they said, did the trick. They test rode the bike for 30+ miles and said it's good to go.

The ride home was really pleasant. The bike idles at 1050, like it's supposed to. It runs smooth as silk and low speed throttle control is smooth and easy. Let's hope it lasts.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2008, 8:27 pm
Addict

What was the actual cause? I hate it when we hear all the detail except what actually was found. And no, I don't beleive it was JUST the software. What EXACTLY was SHODDY about the work? Vacuum line issues going to the new airbox?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2008, 9:30 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Brahma,

I'm with you. I don't believe it was just what amounts to a "clean install" of the software. The service manager said that in opening up the bike to remove the airbox installed by the other dealer, they noted "missing and loose screws." I don't know what to think. I don't know if I believe that, though this I have no reason to doubt the assertion.

I'll share more when I get the paperwork. The GM and SM were making copious notations on the file, and were not done with the paperwork when I got the bike. I'll get copies of all the paperwork, and hopefully that will reveal something.

In the end though, I'm happy the bike works, and the dealer did resolve the problem as quickly as possible.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode