ESA Preload Adjustments - How Much Change? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 2008, 11:38 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

ESA Preload Adjustments - How Much Change?

How much does your K1200GT raise or lower when you press and hold, then release the ESA button to adjust the preload?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 2008, 2:46 am
Would rather be riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
How much does your K1200GT raise or lower when you press and hold, then release the ESA button to adjust the preload?
It probably depends on the weight. I switched from solo (min preload) to 2-up (max preload) this morning, with fully loaded bags. I was standing at the bike at the time, so it's hard to say, but I'd guess the seat came up somewhere betwen 2 and 3 centimeters - not very much.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 2008, 3:58 am

Didn't move at all after upgrade to computer software 11. Working now and only moves about 1 cm from single head to two heads. When bike was new it moved about 2 - 3 cm but I guess the shock is getting more worn now at 17K miles. Anyone replaced ESA rear shock yet? I have to say I would not get ESA again, my rear shock seems more worn than my front and on a conventional setup you could just dial in more preload and take some preload off the front etc. Bike feels firm at front but lose at back, anyway getting used to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 2008, 10:47 am
Enthusiast

My shocks are at 17K, and seem to be holding up well. (We need a knock-on-wood smilie.) Rear goes up and down 3+ cm. between 1 and 2 helmets. I wouldn't be surprised if the preload pump and slave needed maintenance after 20K, however.

Guy Howard
K12LT 05 (sold)
K12GT 07 - build 12/06 BMSK-P ECU (ASC retrofit), V.3 airbox, new o2 sensor @18k, PowerFrk module @25k
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 2008, 11:11 am

Havn't measured mine either, but I do feel it going up or down while sitting on it and making the adjustment. At 17k miles I could feel the rear softening up a little from how it felt new and now at 25k miles it's even mooshier on bumps. I'm tempted to start using one setting higher than I'm supposed to do the same thing as cranking up the preload on a non esa bike and see if it helps. Although that won't help if I'm 2 up since theres nothing higher than that. I really like the convienence of ESA but not if I'm putting enough miles yearly to wear them out since I don't have a spare 3k a year to replace those shocks in addition to the rest of the "wear" items.

BrianT

07 K1200GT
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 2008, 5:49 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianT
At 17k miles I could feel the rear softening up a little from how it felt new and now at 25k miles it's even mooshier on bumps.
Go to the sport setting on damping to get rid of the mooshes. Preload shouldn't change mooshes, although the bike starts at a higher position when the moosh starts.

Once sport setting gets mooshy, it's time to rebuild.

Guy Howard
K12LT 05 (sold)
K12GT 07 - build 12/06 BMSK-P ECU (ASC retrofit), V.3 airbox, new o2 sensor @18k, PowerFrk module @25k
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 2008, 9:20 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by howfly
Once sport setting gets mooshy, it's time to rebuild.
And therein lies the $3500 problem. The damn things aren't even rebuildable!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 2008, 9:22 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeniciaRT
And therein lies the $3500 problem. The damn things aren't even rebuildable!
They can be rebuilt, and the manufacturer recently reported that BMW reversed their no rebuild policy, or maybe the manufacturer just said to hell with BMW. The original no rebuild was a policy decision, not a technical limitation.

Guy Howard
K12LT 05 (sold)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 2008, 3:22 pm

Anyone know how much for rebuild?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 2008, 9:31 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by iangill
Anyone know how much for rebuild?
And Where?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode