2007 K1200GT Warble Sound on Idle - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 2008, 5:38 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

2007 K1200GT Warble Sound on Idle

Ever since I bought my 2007 K1200GT, it makes a kind of warbling sound on idle. There is a high pitch component to the sound, but it isn't a whine. I assume that it is normal, and the service people never mention it. I never owned a four-cylinder bike that didn't have a smooth purr when it idles - this is the first one that is different.

1. Does your K1200GT have a warble sound as it idles? Is it normal?

2. If so, what causes the "warble" sound? What is the high pitch component?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 2008, 7:43 pm

Classic vacuum leak sound. Goes away with throttle opening, right?

Get it fixed right away. Could be a loose vacuum hose.

Let us know.

Spafxer
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 2008, 9:13 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by spafxer
Classic vacuum leak sound. Goes away with throttle opening, right?

Get it fixed right away. Could be a loose vacuum hose.

Let us know.

Spafxer
It smoothes out as soon as I open the throttle (no warble), but the high pitch tone that is part of the warble is still there. The high pitch tone goes higher as the RPMs increase. The high pitch tone is kinda' like the high pitch whine on some 18-wheeler tractor/trailers as they rev their engines.

When the K1200GT engine idles, the high pitch tone goes up and down, to make the "warble" sound.

I have ridden with it over a year without noticing any serious issues. I have a service scheduled next week and will ask about it.

It would be helpful to know if everyone else with a 2006-2008 K1200GT has an idle sound that is like a warble (not a smooth purrrrr).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 2008, 7:04 am
Noob

My 2006 does it at idle and increases as you throttle. When I pull the clutch in it goes away.....I'm going to have it checked next service.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 2008, 9:44 pm

The 18 wheeler sound you here is a turbocharger spinning up. Don't have one of those, yet!

There is a noticeable gear whine as we get going (RPM) I've never looked that up because I assumed there are straight cut gears between the crankshaft and transmission input shaft. Straight cut gears keep the horsepower up at the expense of some noise. (Sounds like a turbine engine)

I still think it sounds like a vacuum leak. Only hard to pinpoint because of all the stuff hiding that engine.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 2008, 11:17 pm
Enthusiast

Smile

Wait for it....Wait for it....They all do that.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 2008, 11:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by beavtm
Wait for it....Wait for it....They all do that.

"Boy, haven't seen that one before"

It's been on the internet for a year, but you can't trust EVERYTHING you read on the internet!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2008, 3:17 am
Enthusiast

The main gear whine we get is from the straight cut camshaft gears. There is a chain driving one camshaft and the other is driven by straight cut gears from the first. This is quite a loud whine but I wouldn't call it a warble.

Bob

2007 K1200GT Graphite
Ex 1986 Kawasaki GTR1000
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2008, 11:01 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobD
The main gear whine we get is from the straight cut camshaft gears. There is a chain driving one camshaft and the other is driven by straight cut gears from the first. This is quite a loud whine but I wouldn't call it a warble.
Thanks, Bob, but this isn't a main gear whine. The whine that I'm trying to describe comes from the engine and gets higher in pitch when the engine RPMs increase, even when the clutch is pulled in or when the transmission is in neutral. It doesn't get louder, it just gets higher in pitch.

At idle, the whine varies like a warble. I will ask the service manager about it when I bring the bike in for service next week, but I wanted to know if other people on this forum have the same thing.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2008, 10:21 am
Sooper Dooper Moderator

I'm half deaf, owing to a Marine Corps life filled with pistol competition back in the days when only girls wore ear protection, so most of the little sounds other people find annoying simply don't exist for me. My son recently rode my bike and commented that there was a turbine-like whine which his didn't have. I'm going to forget he said that, and just enjoy my bike in blissful ignorance of the sound, but I guess it could be troubling to other owners.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode